12 yr study of deaths from dog bites - Pit Bulls lead the pack with 65%

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
It's a human problem. A lot have been bred for the wrong purposes. Getting popular is about the worst thing that can happen to a breed...
I believe the issue is greatly influenced by the popularity of a particular breed. When I was very young (early 70’s) I remember German Shepherds were the hot topic on this very issue. As time progressed, I saw the focus change and shift toward Dobermans, Rottweilers, Chows, and now Pit Bulls. Popularity, and the human factor in breeding/raising these dogs is the main issue, not the breed itself IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The bolded part above is so true.

I love German Shepherds. Was raised with them. There are several reasons I don't own one at the moment but one of the reasons is the rampancy of hip-dysplasia brought on by reckless breeding. The breeding process has been split for some time between show and work - show the more likely of the 2 to have those health issues present but one must be very diligent in finding a breeder who's litters have only presented with incidental health issues.
my in-laws have long had german shepherds. they live on a farm out in the sticks. they just got a new puppy gs and i'm hoping he is good to go. he is a good dog. they have had pretty good luck with their previous shepherds.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I-Team traces unknown history of dog that killed Columbia woman

COLUMBIA, Md. —
It has been more than two months since a 64-year-old Howard County woman was fatally mauled by a dog that had been rescued from more than 400 miles away.
Robin Conway had been fostering the dog for two weeks. Her family remains in such shock that they were unable to speak with the 11 News I-Team on camera. Conway's sister told 11 News that Conway just loved the dog, and she said the family supported the I-Team's effort to find out how it happened and what was known about the dog before it came to live with Conway.

Conway loved animals and was committed to the cause of rescuing them when the unthinkable happened. Her husband told authorities he found the dog standing on his wife's body in their backyard. An autopsy concluded she died due to multiple injuries from the dog.
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/i-te...ry-of-dog-that-killed-columbia-woman/25242588

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Re: I-Team traces unknown history of dog that killed Columbia woman

The quickest way to get into an argument on social media is to point out that nearly every vicious dog attack on humans tends to involve a pit bull.

Regardless of whether there are legions of calm, loving pits, doesn't it stand to reason that we should at least look into why pits are nearly always involved in these attacks?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Re: I-Team traces unknown history of dog that killed Columbia woman

The quickest way to get into an argument on social media is to point out that nearly every vicious dog attack on humans tends to involve a pit bull.

Regardless of whether there are legions of calm, loving pits, doesn't it stand to reason that we should at least look into why pits are nearly always involved in these attacks?
That's one of the problems. Sometimes its the calm, loving pits that are involved in the attacks.

This is Snowball, the dog that attacked and killed the woman who rescued him and shown holding him. :(

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.