2018 O-Line

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Saban lets the best 5 play then your o-line could be crazy good next year. Williams, Leatherwood, Wills, Womack and whoever comes in to play center.

:eek2:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It takes awhile to wash off bad coaching at a developmental position like OL, so I'm not hating on Key that much yet. BUT we need to see theoretically better OL coaching pay off or we're doomed to underperform against quality DLs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It takes awhile to wash off bad coaching at a developmental position like OL, so I'm not hating on Key that much yet. BUT we need to see theoretically better OL coaching pay off or we're doomed to underperform against quality DLs.
Agreed, but look at that talent. You have 2 backup OTs who would have started for 90% of the schools in America this year and both of your starting tackles coming back.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Why does this statement seemingly surface at the end of every season? Will next year be the year we finally see a dramatic improvement? I sure hope so.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Why does this statement seemingly surface at the end of every season? Will next year be the year we finally see a dramatic improvement? I sure hope so.
I'm guessing because the end of the season involves playing someone who won't be overwhelmed by our OL's athletic superiority and require our OL to be technically sound to cope with their front's athletic ability.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm guessing because the end of the season involves playing someone who won't be overwhelmed by our OL's athletic superiority and require our OL to be technically sound to cope with their front's athletic ability.
Success in football really does begin in the trenches. It's cliche but it's true. Think about it. Auburn basically beat us with three players. Their QB, their 1 RB and 1 WR (#23). Their OL controlled the LOS enough to allow them to beat our entire defense with basically three players. That's how important it is to control the LOS. Granted, simply controlling the LOS isn't a "fix all". Other areas of the offense have to still execute. But good lord how much easier it is for that to happen when the OL has the LOS under control.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Because Mario Cristobal was a great recruiter but an awful position coach.

Before Cristobal arrived, we never complained about the OL play (due to Pendry and Stoutland - both excellent coaches). Those lines were skilled and nasty.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Before Cristobal arrived, we never complained about the OL play (due to Pendry and Stoutland - both excellent coaches). Those lines were skilled and nasty.
I sure hope we're on the road to fixing it. Success or lack there of by an offense begins with the OL controlling the LOS. Very hard to consistently have success on offense if the OL is consistently getting beat at the LOS.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

I would like to see us go get Stoutland. His only short coming was recruiting but he did a good job developing players. Cristoball did a good job with the tackles and OJ last year. Brent Key, for whatever reason, is not working out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I for one really hope we upgrade from Key. Our unit failed to control the los in virtually every big game the last two years, with maybe the exception of last year’s opener against SC. The progress and development simply haven’t been there.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I for one really hope we upgrade from Key. Our unit failed to control the los in virtually every big game the last two years, with maybe the exception of last year’s opener against SC. The progress and development simply hasnt been there.
With all these new coaching hires, maybe someone will think he is awesome and hire him away.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
This is the thread I am most interested in today. We just have too many let downs on the o line that crushes drives. We seem to have one play that gets blown up then we are in a bad and predictable play call. We have the talent just need to coach them up better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Not at RB or WR. At least, those aren’t concerns.
Or defense in general, if we stay healthy. That is one thing we cannot control, but with injuries came a lot of experience in games for back ups, D should be stout next yr. Offense has all the weapons in my opinion. Better line play and getting a cohesive game plan to use the weapons we have is all that needs real fixing.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Maybe we can hire a proven NFL offensive line coach somehow. One who can recruit and especially teach. The Oline does seem to be inconsistent again this year. I loved the O Line with Barrett Jones. He could play so many positions.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.