2018 O-Line

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Guess I didn't state my point that clearly. I don't think PFF is unfairly weighted, just that the scheme AU was playing was designed in a way that put almost no pressure on the interior so it can make it look like an OG or OC 'won' that battle when the reality is the interior DL did exactly what they were coached to do. They were only a yard or so upfield because that's where they were supposed to be, not because our OL stonewalled them there. I also get that Ridley and Sims earned the grades they got for the game. A single game grade does not mean a player is better or not overall though.

I think a lot of the OL issues stem from the fact that almost all the OL we recruit play OT in HS even though some might be projected as interior guys. Every single one of our starting 5 played OT in HS. Moving inside isn't trivial although we have been spoiled with some guys who were able to do it well. Steps as shorter; things happen much faster; you're playing against different type of players; you have to be more multiple in how you handle combo blocks and aware of more things coming from more places. Some guys can do it and some can't and it's hard to predict who will adapt well and who won't.
That's fair, but every major program brings in HS tackles to play interior positions because you want size and reach in college. Very few HS guards have size and reach. Almost all of the B1G offensive linemen were OTs in HS.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
That's fair, but every major program brings in HS tackles to play interior positions because you want size and reach in college. Very few HS guards have size and reach. Almost all of the B1G offensive linemen were OTs in HS.
Playing tackle in HS is like playing QB in HS... that's where you put your best guy. If you've got a 6'3, 290 lb mauler he's more useful at LT than LG or RG at pretty much every HS in the country. In college that guy would be a guard.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Someone riddle me this. Why have we had 2 different 5* all world recruits come in and play LT or RT as true freshman then slowly regress the next 2 years. I'm talking about Cam Robinson and Jonah Williams. Cam was a beast his freshmen year, just okay his sophomore year then was dang near disastrous his junior year with all the false start penalties. Cam slips to the second round in the draft because of this but then has become a dominant left tackle so far for the Jaguars and has really solidified their rushing attack. He's basically the cornerstone on a NFL offensive line after his multiple year regression at Alabama. Jonah was amazing last year and seems to have regressed some this year plus he's got the "Camitis" meaning to many motion/false start penalties..

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Someone riddle me this. Why have we had 2 different 5* all world recruits come in and play LT as true freshman then slowly regress the next 2 years. I'm talking about Cam Robinson and Jonah Williams. Cam was a beast his freshmen year, just okay his sophomore year then was dang near disastrous his junior year with all the false start penalties. Cam slips to the second round in the draft because of this but then has become a dominant left tackle so far for the Jaguars and has really solidified their rushing attack. He's basically the cornerstone on a NFL offensive line after his multiple year regression at Alabama. Jonah was amazing last year and seems to have regressed some this year plus he's got the "Camitis" meaning to many motion/false start penalties..
Cam didn't regress - he just had mental lapses. Cam manhandled many dominant DEs during his career.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.