Make Your Case for Our Offensive Philosophy for Next Year and Beyond (Not about QBs)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I honestly don't favor one offense over another as long as it is productive and helps the defense by sustaining drives and getting points. My point of contention has been if our staff is committed to Hurts then adjust the offense to fit his skill set; don't try to remake him into Tom Brady let him play his game and give him the tools to run it. If you want a Tom Brady type QB then find the best pro style QB coming out of high school this year and sign him. This is up to CNS who will make the decision.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Personally I'd like to stick with the pro set. A team can still run tempo running a pro style offense. A team can still sprinkle in designed QB runs in a pro set. I'd just prefer it not be our QB running 17 times in a game. The pro set allows for all the talent to be used and we've got talent galore at the skilled positions. I'm afraid if we continue having our QB be the lion's share of our offense it will have trickle down into recruiting and begin to hurt us at the WR and RB position.

I will add this though. It doesn't matter what offense we're running. The inconsistency at the LOS has to be fixed, regardless of what style offense we run. Our offensive line hasn't been the same since the Notre Dame national title game. I want to get back to having physical, nasty offensive lines. If we would have simply had that Saturday and ran the exact same plays, we would have won. Keep in mind, Auburn beat us with three players on offense. THREE PLAYERS!!!! All because their OL controlled the LOS for most of the game. It begins and ends there.
Does anyone know the ratio of designed runs to sacks/scrambles? Also, I wonder how many runs are called for him and how many are options where Jalen reads it and calls his own number?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I honestly don't favor one offense over another as long as it is productive and helps the defense by sustaining drives and getting points. My point of contention has been if our staff is committed to Hurts then adjust the offense to fit his skill set; don't try to remake him into Tom Brady let him play his game and give him the tools to run it. If you want a Tom Brady type QB then find the best pro style QB coming out of high school this year and sign him. This is up to CNS who will make the decision.

Yep, exactly how I feel. I think we can win titles with either Hurts or Tua. But whichever one we go with needs to have the offense and plays called within that offense adjusted to fit his strengths and not ask him to continually do things that plays toward his weaknesses.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We could run the wishbone or veer for all I care as long as we win...that being said we do need one solid philosophy and the players who can run that offense. If JH is our QB, then I think we need to run a RPO type offense and give him some more short throw opportunities...Deshaun Watson sure ran that well at CU.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Does anyone know the ratio of designed runs to sacks/scrambles? Also, I wonder how many runs are called for him and how many are options where Jalen reads it and calls his own number?
I don't remember the ratio, but there were too many designed runs for sure. Frankly, I'll bet Jalen does not average 4 yards on designed runs. Most of his yardage comes on scrambles away from getting sacked.

I don't care which way we go with it, but we need to pick a way and stick with it. If it's RPO, then do away with the long slow developing pass plays that don't go with the read option. If it's more pro style, then quit all the designed QB runs. And then, as Bamabuzzard said, we need to get back to the nasty OL that pushes people off the LOS and runs them over.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Personally I'd like to stick with the pro set. A team can still run tempo running a pro style offense. A team can still sprinkle in designed QB runs in a pro set. I'd just prefer it not be our QB running 17 times in a game. The pro set allows for all the talent to be used and we've got talent galore at the skilled positions. I'm afraid if we continue having our QB be the lion's share of our offense it will have trickle down into recruiting and begin to hurt us at the WR and RB position.

I will add this though. It doesn't matter what offense we're running. The inconsistency at the LOS has to be fixed, regardless of what style offense we run. Our offensive line hasn't been the same since the Notre Dame national title game. I want to get back to having physical, nasty offensive lines. If we would have simply had that Saturday and ran the exact same plays, we would have won. Keep in mind, Auburn beat us with three players on offense. THREE PLAYERS!!!! All because their OL controlled the LOS for most of the game. It begins and ends there.
It's hard to be physical when you have to practice bumping this guy on your way to the second level of the defense so you can cut block this guy to make the lane for the back to cut into. The counter plays and the plays to the left we ran with some success were power plays, push this guy backwards until he falls down or the whistle blows. I'm not sure if a mean streak can be taught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He came here because it was promised he would be prepared for the next level of play.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
With our WR and RB and QB talent we can run any style, but we have to pick one and stick to it. Then sprinkle in some plays now and then that may not fit totally to that style.BUT as Nick says, we need an identity, but we have to be flexible enough to bend and stretch the base offense when needed. We have scored a ton this yr on weak teams, but the better teams held us lower. Our defense at its peak is usually enough to still let us win. BUT this yr showed sometimes the defense may give up[ more than normal, and our offense must carry the load when that happens. We need the mindset that from the minute the game starts, play as if you are down by 10 points. Play like you are behind, quit doing the safe play all the time. OPEN it up and let the talent do its thing. Spread the ball how ever you have to to get it to the play makers, and let them make the plays only they can make.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
With all due respect, Hurts may play in the NFL but unless he makes dramatic improvement in his QB skills it won't be at QB.
I didn't make the promise, it's just been repeated in his recruiting thread that he would be prepared for the NFL.

As an aside, I remember WMack's excitement when he committed. "Vince Young type player" was his assessment, and he's been prophetic. Had his run into the end zone been the winning score in a national title game it would've been creepy.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not down on Hurts, look he is 25-2 as our QB that is a damn good record. My concern is that teams we play that have talent at our level neutralize some of his strengths. Two issues that hurt him at this point is under performing OL play and indecisiveness in the team's offensive philosophy. That is on the staff not him.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know, but if he's pulling it down and running when there are open receivers, guess who will be unhappy???

My point remains, no reason to credit their offense when they don't play good defenses.
Not following your reasoning. It's not their offense that makes the defense bad. In our tendency to go "hurry up no huddle but stand at the line and don't snap it fast" we could literally do that with any offensive scheme and it shouldn't impact our defense negatively.

It's hard to be physical when you have to practice bumping this guy on your way to the second level of the defense so you can cut block this guy to make the lane for the back to cut into. The counter plays and the plays to the left we ran with some success were power plays, push this guy backwards until he falls down or the whistle blows. I'm not sure if a mean streak can be taught.

This every day and twice on Sunday!!! Mow 'em down don't dance around!!!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I somewhat agree with those who have said we need to go back to a smash mouth offensive style of play. I think we all love to see games where we control the clock and rush for 200+ yards and pass only when our opponents do not expect it. Well, that will work against most of the SEC, but as we have seen that style of play won't work against the top tier SEC teams and teams we might face in the CFP. We have to have a passing game, the issue is to develop a passing game that best suits our QBs.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Simply put, you have the personnel for a pro-set offense, and a pro-set offense gives you the best chance to leverage ALL of the talent on your roster rather than a small subset of that talent. Literally every player on the field is a threat on every play when running a pro-set offense. Think your offense with AJ at QB.

RPO offenses are for teams with lesser personnel who need to overcome a talent gap with deceit. Alabama has superior talent. At Alabama, the RPO should be an optional play run every once and again, not as an overall offensive philosophy.
Right. It shouldn't be RRRRRRRRPO, no matter what the reason for the number of "R"s is...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Right. It shouldn't be RRRRRRRRPO, no matter what the reason for the number of "R"s is...
I've only coached basketball, but it seems to me that my players got injured more when they were really tired and I wasn't subbing enough early in my coaching. That being said, our inability to stay on the field whether it be three play drives or three and out drives have contributed to our increased amount of injuries on Defense. Just my opinion. I've felt this way since the CLK days.

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
here's the rub- we win last year's NCG if one of those sub 2:00 drives goes 1:00 more or two go :40 more....

to me, that screams less zone/RPO and more power runs off tackle.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
What was our hope when Dabol was hired? Run DA BALL!!! I mean, come on guys how simple can it be with a good O Line and a stable of RBs? Run the ball to set up the pass!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.