Make Your Case for Our Offensive Philosophy for Next Year and Beyond (Not about QBs)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here's the "Forbidden Fruit" rule of this thread. The one thing you can't do is mention Jalen or Tua in comments. Make your case for your prefered "style" of offense.

Lots of the post game discussions have centered on that it seems we are a team caught between two styles of offense.

Pro-set (drop back QB, conventional running game, no RPOs and with a preference for the QB to thrive at passing and managing the game)

OR

RPO, HUNH (Game built around a dual threat qb, Preference for QB to run and scramble alot and share those touches with other running backs, passing game is secondary to qbs ability to run and improvise).

Ok...what do you think...but remember this isn't a Jalen vs. Tua qb discussion (there's plenty of that in some other threads). It's about the offensive style and approach you'd like to see us become.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I'd told myself I was bowing out for a few days, but this is a good topic.

I don't know that it's entirely a binary choice between the two, but I'm inclined to move away from the RPO thing. I don't know that Saban's heart is truly in it. If we could shift towards the totality of what New England does, that wouldn't be too bad. I much prefer a drop back passing game but - and this is key - a quarterback who can move around just enough. Run the ball, get inventive with WR alignment and route trees, but what we're doing at the moment just isn't working.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
We need to install the air raid/RPO/Oklahoma O. We already have the skilled people to run it. It would be exciting to watch, would help in recruiting as players want to play in it, and it forces defenses to defend the entire field.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I guess it depends on what the players strengths are (who we can recruit ) and who our assistant coaches will be. I personally like whatever works best, but I do know that LSU and Auburn's offenses were much improved this year with their new OC's. I also liked the pro style we used to run with Coker and Henry.

With so many new coaches who will be in the SEC next year, Bama needs to figure out something that will work. Who knows what the other coaches will implement on offense and defense.... and it will be interesting to see who the new coaches for each school will be.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Simply put, you have the personnel for a pro-set offense, and a pro-set offense gives you the best chance to leverage ALL of the talent on your roster rather than a small subset of that talent. Literally every player on the field is a threat on every play when running a pro-set offense. Think your offense with AJ at QB.

RPO offenses are for teams with lesser personnel who need to overcome a talent gap with deceit. Alabama has superior talent. At Alabama, the RPO should be an optional play run every once and again, not as an overall offensive philosophy.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We need to install the air raid/RPO/Oklahoma O. We already have the skilled people to run it. It would be exciting to watch, would help in recruiting as players want to play in it, and it forces defenses to defend the entire field.
Gotta admit I could get behind that but it is qb centric, but leans very heavily to a great passer.

At heart I'm pretty traditional and if I had my wish we'd just recruit to the style of our 2012 offense. We could run it or pass it and you never saw what was coming.

Some have said we can't win NCs without reverting back. IDK if that's fair, but right now the evidence is with those who make the claim until we do it another way.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
If we run the ball with our tail backs, either type of QB would work out fine. ONLY if line starts pass blocking. With better line play, our running,backs, either drop back or dual threat can be successful. OUR problem is getting away from the run to fast when it is working, and bad line play. Stay with run, get better OL blocking and QB will not matter as much. WE have won titles with good but not great QB's. We need to get back to that style of play.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Gotta admit I could get behind that but it is qb centric, but leans very heavily to a great passer.

At heart I'm pretty traditional and if I had my wish we'd just recruit to the style of our 2012 offense. We could run it or pass it and you never saw what was coming.

Some have said we can't win NCs without reverting back. IDK if that's fair, but right now the evidence is with those who make the claim until we do it another way.
I’m confident that Saban could get us the right QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Simply put, you have the personnel for a pro-set offense, and a pro-set offense gives you the best chance to leverage ALL of the talent on your roster rather than a small subset of that talent. Literally every player on the field is a threat on every play when running a pro-set offense. Think your offense with AJ at QB.

RPO offenses are for teams with lesser personnel who need to overcome a talent gap with deceit. Alabama has superior talent. At Alabama, the RPO should be an optional play run every once and again, not as an overall offensive philosophy.
I'm very much favorable to this approach. We've been struggling with 3rd down conversions. Our lack of ability to convert 3rd downs against the best teams the last couple of years has been our achilles heal in these big games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I’m confident that Saban could get us the right QB.
That wouldn't be the problem. The problem with going this offensive route is it seems a little anti-Saban in its philosophy.

But, I'll admit that in 2008-2012, I never say us running the style we run now.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Pro-set is definitely what I'd prefer but we'd need our OL to get a lot better at pass blocking to make it work. The reason we have poor 3rd down conversion is because our pass blocking is not so good.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Pro-set is definitely what I'd prefer but we'd need our OL to get a lot better at pass blocking to make it work. The reason we have poor 3rd down conversion is because our pass blocking is not so good.
That is a coaching issue, not a talent issue.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I think what has gotten us in trouble is trying to turn a pro style offense into a hybrid RPO. Let’s get back to our roots and run a Pro style offense. I think Daboll would work well with that system. However, having said that Tua would probably be a better fit for distributing the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
Ditto. Alabama never lacks for talent. Put it to good use instead of playing around with the latest fad that lesser talented teams are forced to use to compete.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.