Please Help, VolNation Fan Board in Massive Meltdown

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I never thought Gruden would go to UT, but $10 million/year might be hard to turn down, IF he actually wants to leave MNF.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
I've watched all the Gruden threads on their boards, I was trying to get a handle on both sides of the rivalry a few weeks back and stumbled onto the first of the many incarnations.

The Penn State cover up featured heavily last night and whilst I don't doubt some see it as a convenient smoke screen, many more appear to be genuinely appalled at the prospect of having Schiano on their campus.

They appear to be a the very bottom of the trough (there's a great many yearning for a CLK return), I would imagine if you're not a lover of Tennessee, the last few hundred posts in their Gruden thread might improve your mood some. :)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As ESPN doesn't report salaries, no one really knows, but I've read from multiple sources that it's estimated ESPN is paying Gruden $6.5 million annually.

That said, I think that the deal they were trying to work with him has been torpedoed by all this Schiano stuff. Not sure Currie survives this one.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I haven’t even read the posts I’m quoting other than to get the gist. If Schiano has been cleared then great. However, I don’t want anyone connected with Paterno on Alabama’s campus. Neither do Vol fans.

I’ll read your post later, time for work now. I’m reasonably certain I will not disagree with anything you have to offer.

That's all fine and good, and maybe one CAN justifiably criticize TENNESSEE (not Schiano) for failure to perform due diligence. (Indeed, nobody is hiring Schiano that is a better job than Tennessee, so he's likely to still be there after the bowl games if you get turned down by better choices).

But the fact of the matter is that MOST Vol fans didn't even know this until yesterday after a ton of rabble-rousing and posturing. It's an AFTER THE FACT justification by some folks who - literally - don't know what they're talking about.

"Hey, we don't want Schiano so how can we get rid of him?" (spend two seconds surfing google). "Hey, his name was mentioned in the Sandusky scandal, that'll do it!!!"

They're PRETENDING that what bothers them is the Sandusky scandal and Schiano's (alleged) ties to it.....but what bothers them is Schiano got hired in the first place. The child rape charge just allows them to pretend they're concerned about something that covers their tracks. Or as B1G notes, a smokescreen.

Btw - I understand your position on the Paterno connection and for the most part agree with it......but how far does one go with that? Weirdly enough, Paterno has one of the smallest coaching trees out there for a guy who coached as long as he did, in large part because he had assistants who stayed with him for so long. Schiano might be the most notable name, but I hardly think it's fair to assume that every single assistant coach knew everything that was going on at the time, too.

Just so nobody understands me, let me be clear here: Tennessee would be FULLY justified if they looked at Schiano and heard the rumors and said, "No, we just don't think we can take that kind of chance here." There is no guarantee of a job even if you are totally innocent. I get that. But that isn't what happened here, either.

And btw, when was Schiano at Penn State? He was a GA in 1990 (at 24 years old) and then a DB coach for 5 years (91-95).

When was (at least according to the first reports) Paterno informed about this from McQueary? 2001, also known as six years after Schiano left Penn State.

McQueary was a player, a backup QB, Schiano's last two years at Penn State.

I mean, how much involvement did he actually have with Schiano?

Of course, what changes the picture (slightly):
a) emails showed the AD and VP of Penn State knew about the abuse in 1998 (and it was from 1998.....three years after Schiano left....that the first reports surfaced of the PTB knowing about it)
b) there's an unnamed claimant alleging abuse in 1976, a year before Sandusky began his children's charity (this was revealed in 2016)

Again, there's no guarantee anyone gets any job even if he's innocent, but the level of presumptive guilt here is mind-boggling to say the least. And our boy Clay is stirring the pot with the innuendo right now, too - "hey, he was named in the court documents" - yeah.......by a guy who SAW it and did nothing about it and had every reason to LIE and say that about it........

Why? Because they don't want Schiano as head coach. But let's stop with pretending that the reason the Vols fans are irate is because "he covered up child rape."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
so are you saying it was a false narrative to block the hire? the "useful idiots" strategy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I won't speak for B1G (he's intelligent enough to do that on his own even though we agree about 95% of the time it seems), but it was a ranting fanbase creating a mountain out of a molehill most didn't even know existed before yesterday.

Seriously.

If you interviewed every poster on Tidefans AND every person who was expressing outrage yesterday via Twitter/Facebook/Vol Nation, I'll guarantee you not 1% of them even knew this story BEFORE yesterday.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Perhaps they could hire a medium and have them channel Vince Lombardi to coach the team. Seems about par for their expectations vs. reality.

Hmm... that actually gives me a business idea. I'll be the Jimmy Sexton of Coach Mediums.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
After what happened recently with the coaching hire and the protest...

Missed out on Mullen, Frost and others... Currie gonna have to work real hard this week to find a better replacement to save his job, but it's unlikely.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I won't speak for B1G (he's intelligent enough to do that on his own even though we agree about 95% of the time it seems), but it was a ranting fanbase creating a mountain out of a molehill most didn't even know existed before yesterday.

Seriously.

If you interviewed every poster on Tidefans AND every person who was expressing outrage yesterday via Twitter/Facebook/Vol Nation, I'll guarantee you not 1% of them even knew this story BEFORE yesterday.
Yeah, I think this was a convenient outrage outlet to kill a bad hire by their AD.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
UT is so arrogant that they think they should get a "name" hire. They cannot realize or accept that they have dropped to the 2nd tier (or lower) of the SEC football ranks, much less nationally. If you look at their record since the last couple of Fulmer years I don't see how you can think anything else. But rationality never has ruled in Knoxville.

Yes, GS was a questionable hire at best...for football reasons if not otherwise. UT's administration is letting the patients run the asylum -- never a good thing.

Makes for a good laugh on a Monday morning when we need one...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I said this in another thread. Do any of you think there would be the same moral outrage if the hire was Art Briles or someone who was a better coach with a questionable background? As has been stated this whole thing is a smokescreen because they hated the hire.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I heard on local sports talk radio in Knoxville this morning that both UT and Schiano signed the MOU, but from what I've been able to find, this isn't officially verified yet. If it's true, then UT will owe him money. They said that this info should be out soon.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I said this in another thread. Do any of you think there would be the same moral outrage if the hire was Art Briles or someone who was a better coach with a questionable background? As has been stated this whole thing is a smokescreen because they hated the hire.
Depends on the questions. Briles is, and will forever be, toxic. With more info, Schiano might just not get jobs because he's not that great a coach.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I heard on local sports talk radio in Knoxville this morning that both UT and Schiano signed the MOU, but from what I've been able to find, this isn't officially verified yet. If it's true, then UT will owe him money. They said that this info should be out soon.
This is going to be fun to watch.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I do believe there would be a revolt at most schools over Briles. I know everyone likes to win, but assuming that people's moral compass is over-run by their love of the sport seems like a stretch.

I think the outrage was partially driven by the fact that they didn't like the hire, but I know a LOT of tennessee fans and almost without exception they were ready to walk away from the school over Schiano's (potential) past. Not sour grapes, but disgust.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.