Please Help, VolNation Fan Board in Massive Meltdown

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
There were some journalists on Twitter last night noting that Schiano is being slandered here - that McQuery was trying to bring down everyone else and the timelines for that testimony don't match up, etc. That may all be true. But even if Schiano's name had never come up in the PSU mess, what UT fan was going to be happy with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Initially Vol fans didn’t like the hire. Then horror set in.

If Schiano is innocent as a lamb, people in Tennessee want no part of a PSU connection.
You are buying into a fallacy, but you seem to be willing to do so with your eyes wide open.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Reading this thread title I just have one question, Why would Bama fans want to help vols at all. Let the dumpster fire burn, and if needed I will donated gas to keep it burning LOL. Karma, she is a fickle feline. They are just getting back what they deserve. All vols can send a Christmas card to Fulmer and thank him for all of this. he did this to UT, no one else. I think I may send him a dozen Krispy Kremes for xmas LOL

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Reading this thread title I just have one question, Why would Bama fans want to help vols at all. Let the dumpster fire burn, and if needed I will donated gas to keep it burning LOL. Karma, she is a fickle feline. They are just getting back what they deserve. All vols can send a Christmas card to Fulmer and thank him for all of this. he did this to UT, no one else. I think I may send him a dozen Krispy Kremes for xmas LOL
It was sarcasm.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There were some journalists on Twitter last night noting that Schiano is being slandered here - that McQuery was trying to bring down everyone else and the timelines for that testimony don't match up, etc. That may all be true. But even if Schiano's name had never come up in the PSU mess, what UT fan was going to be happy with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only the most orange colored sunshine pumping one. I would have absolutely loved it had they hired Schiano.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
You are buying into a fallacy, but you seem to be willing to do so with your eyes wide open.
No, man, I live among these people.

Correct me if I’m wrong, you’re forming an opinion based on what you read on the internet. I’m talking to Vol fans.

There are plenty of Forum members on this board who live in Tennessee. Let’s see what they report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No, man, I live among these people.
I know only one serious Vols fan and she was (very angry) when she heard of the Schiano hire, and she had no idea that he ever worked for Paterno - no idea. She later became even more upset when she heard about that, but she wanted to fire the AD before she heard any of that.

I am willing to bet that pretty much every Vols fan fell into that same bucket. They didn't want Schiano and had no idea about his connection to PSU. Then when they found out about that connection, they wanted him even less.

Find me a Vols fan that wanted him until they heard about that mess then changed their minds. I doubt that there is one out there.

That is why this was a smoke screen. They were already ready to fire their AD for the Schiano hire before they found out about this other stuff. They has their hearts set on some huge splash hire and this just wasn't going to cut it. They used their righteous indignation as an excuse for their crazy behavior - but the behavior started before they realized that they knew about his connection to PSU.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I know only one serious Vols fan and she was (very angry) when she heard of the Schiano hire, and she had no idea that he ever worked for Paterno - no idea. She later became even more upset when she heard about that, but she wanted to fire the AD before she heard any of that.

I am willing to bet that pretty much every Vols fan fell into that same bucket. They didn't want Schiano and had no idea about his connection to PSU. Then when they found out about that connection, they wanted him even less.

Find me a Vols fan that wanted him until they heard about that mess then changed their minds. I doubt that there is one out there.

That is why this was a smoke screen. They were already ready to fire their AD for the Schiano hire before they found out about this other stuff. They has their hearts set on some huge splash hire and this just wasn't going to cut it. They used their righteous indignation as an excuse for their crazy behavior - but the behavior started before they realized that they knew about his connection to PSU.
I agree with everything until the righteous indignation. IMO, Vol fans went from PO’d to mortified. I can show you a lot of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I know tons of tennessee fans and most of them already knew of Schiano's background (as he had been mentioned a few weeks ago as a possibility) and were ticked tennessee would even consider him based on that alone.

I don't recall a single one being concerned one way or the other about his coaching acumen - it was all about what he was accused of.

You seem quick to accuse people of being willfully blind, but I suspect that has more to do with who his current employer is than what those of us living amongst the vols are actually seeing and hearing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know tons of tennessee fans and most of them already knew of Schiano's background (as he had been mentioned a few weeks ago as a possibility) and were ticked tennessee would even consider him based on that alone.

I don't recall a single one being concerned one way or the other about his coaching acumen - it was all about what he was accused of.

You seem quick to accuse people of being willfully blind, but I suspect that has more to do with who his current employer is than what those of us living amongst the vols are actually seeing and hearing.
I just don't believe what you are saying. I believe that you believe, but I don't believe it to be true. Specifically, I do not believe that most Vols fans knew about the Schiano/Sandusky accusations before yesterday. Why? Because it was not widely known, but somehow most Vols fans knew.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. It is too highly improbable.

ETA - to be clear, here is just where I am offering my opinion. I have no way of knowing what was in the minds of those people.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I just don't believe what you are saying. I believe that you believe, but I don't believe it to be true. Specifically, I do not believe that most Vols fans knew about the Schiano/Sandusky accusations before yesterday. Why? Because it was not widely known, but somehow most Vols fans knew.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. It is too highly improbable.
LOL, yah, the fact that Schiano's name has been on the list for a few weeks didn't give anyone time to research his background.

I guess I'm lying to cover for tennessee, as it's well known how much I love that place.

Or maybe, just maybe, you're projecting because your beloved team has him on staff. Nah, couldn't be that. Surely I'm just blind and believe something that's not true...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
LOL, yah, the fact that Schiano's name has been on the list for a few weeks didn't give anyone time to research his background.

I guess I'm lying to cover for tennessee, as it's well known how much I love that place.

Or maybe, just maybe, you're projecting because your beloved team has him on staff. Nah, couldn't be that. Surely I'm just blind and believe something that's not true...

First, you are applying a behavior to me that I have never, not once, exhibited - a willingness to excuse the behavior of anyone associated with Ohio State. So please stop that - you make yourself look silly.

Second, no one (I mean, no one) accepts the premise that someone like Gruden would have been blown off if he had a similar unproven and discredited third party accusation hanging over him. Heck, the Vols just settled a Title IX suit because of their shady character. But I am expected to believe that this was about this accusation, not his coaching resume?

Come on, who is looking foolish?

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
The only Viles fan I can tolerate told me that the name he heard the most was Mike Leach. Better coach than Schiano and extremely entertaining. I would accept them having this better coach in exchange for hilarious press conferences leading up to games with them.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I just remembered something else from the radio this morning. A caller said that they should be talking to Kevin Sumlin. Heather, one of the hosts, made a great point. She said that it's a safe assumption that UT had already "turned over the Sumlin rock" by this point and that they had probably already been turned down by him and several other coaches before getting to Schiano.

This sounds like a fair assessment. So in this context, let's do the math. There's no way that the UT admin didn't know about the "controversy" surrounding Schiano. Just no way. I've also been reading that his coaching record isn't all that great. So what does that tell us? It sounds to me like they're getting way down on the list to even talk to him. We're talking bottom of the barrel here. So to move on beyond Schiano, I shudder to think who might be next.

Honestly, I can't wait to see who they get. Whoever it is, we'll probably have to Google his name to get any info on him.

Gosh darn it.

:)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am with you B1GTIDE and I don’t care about Ohio State at all.

I didn’t even know Schiano was on Tennessee’s list to begin with and I certainly didn’t know he was at Ohio State. I also had no idea about the accusations either.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
First, you are applying a behavior to me that I have never, not once, exhibited - a willingness to excuse the behavior of anyone associated with Ohio State. So please stop that - you make yourself look silly.
And you're not doing the same by telling several people here that we're blinded and believe something that's untrue?

Maybe you should just step back and take a look at what's being said here.

Second, no one (I mean, no one) accepts the premise that someone like Gruden would have been blown off if he had a similar unproven and discredited third party accusation hanging over him. Heck, the Vols just settled a Title IX suit because of their shady character. But I am expected to believe that this was about this accusation, not his coaching resume?
I guess your one vol friend has given you great insight into the fanbase of tennessee...

If Gruden had been accused of similar in the past, I guarantee the fans I know would react in exactly the same manner they did to Schiano. I don't know what things are like where you live, but there are some things bigger than how good the football team is.

Come on, who is looking foolish?
Maybe it's best if you just drop out of this aspect of the discussion for a bit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.