Please Help, VolNation Fan Board in Massive Meltdown

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe it's best if you just drop out of this aspect of the discussion for a bit.
Okay, then I will stick to this. The accusations against Schiano have been openly refuted by everyone involved. So how about we discuss how terrible it is for people to openly attack the man for something that he did not do.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
I guess your one vol friend has given you great insight into the fanbase of tennessee...
Eh, I'm another poster from TN and know loads of UT fans, and I'd say the anecdata I could provide lines up with B1GTide's suspicions. Obviously, people aren't proclaiming loudly that the real reason they bristled at the hire was because they just don't think Schiano is good enough, but it's not hard to see.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
And you're not doing the same by telling several people here that we're blinded and believe something that's untrue?

Maybe you should just step back and take a look at what's being said here.

I guess your one vol friend has given you great insight into the fanbase of tennessee...

If Gruden had been accused of similar in the past, I guarantee the fans I know would react in exactly the same manner they did to Schiano. I don't know what things are like where you live, but there are some things bigger than how good the football team is.

Maybe it's best if you just drop out of this aspect of the discussion for a bit.
I've got to side with B1GTide on this one. I have a large number of relatives who live in Tennessee and are Vol fans. At and following a family get-together this weekend, I watched pretty much what he described play out. When the topic of Schiano potentially getting hired came up, they couldn't believe the UT administration would consider a "failed head coach" for their program. Then, when the rumors of his impending hire began to surface, their social media lamentations quickly went from describing him as a "failed head coach" to being in some way complicit in the Penn State saga.

They had no clue about Schiano's potential involvement until they saw it online and began to parrot it, themselves.

They didn't and still don't want him because they think he's not good enough; the moral issues are just a good, PC-friendly topic on which to latch.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Okay, then I will stick to this. The accusations against Schiano have been openly refuted by everyone involved. So how about we discuss how terrible it is for people to openly attack the man for something that he did not do.
Assuming innocence, did Schiano sue McQueary for defamation?

Maybe he's innocent, maybe he's not - but I totally understand not wanting someone accused of such anywhere near a program that I love. Even if I weren't initially aware of them.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

Seems to me to be an instance where the reality of the situation doesn't necessarily match up with "justice".

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Assuming innocence, did Schiano sue McQueary for defamation?

Maybe he's innocent, maybe he's not - but I totally understand not wanting someone accused of such anywhere near a program that I love. Even if I weren't initially aware of them.
It’s second-hand testimony from a 2015 deposition by McQueary. He claimed, during a civil suit between Penn State and its insurance company over the liability of payouts to Sandusky victims in 2015, that assistant coach Tom Bradley said Schiano went to him in the early 1990s “white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower.” That was it in the transcripts released in 2016. Schiano’s name never came up in any of the interviews McQueary did with law enforcement.

Schiano denied the accusations. Bradley’s lawyers also denied it. Schiano never has faced any charges. The story didn’t surface in Penn State’s internal investigation, run by former FBI director Louis Freeh. Schiano never has been sued by any victims for not reporting the abuse. No one, besides McQueary, has said Schiano witnessed an inappropriate act, and McQueary never saw it for himself.

Not sure what else we should want or need to know here. We are okay destroying this guys reputation and career over something that he didn't even witness?

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Yeah, I think this was a convenient outrage outlet to kill a bad hire by their AD.
The best thing was that this happened to UPukeOrange. The worst thing is that it didn't wholly happen to UPukeOrange, meaning anybody who's ever watched Schiano in "action" knows he's the second-worst situational awareness gameday coach on the planet (take a bow, Rev. Richt).

So even those who find UcheaT "orangeanathema" should be sorry over the "long-term" (next 2-3 years for the program to sink further into orange puke oblivion and bringing on their seventh coaching change of the 21st century) that Schiano's hire didn't transpire...

The funniest thing is that the Philly TV stations this morning were trumpeting "a former Penn State assistant loses a college head coaching job to protests over his hiring."

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Greg Schiano's Memorandum of Understanding With Tennessee Could Burn Vols

Regardless as to who this went down, if UT ends up paying Schiano not to coach, you have to think Currie is toast...
If they had a signed MOU, I'm sure that will either be settled or litigated. Tennessee certainly handled this in a way that will probably keep Schiano from ever getting another Power 5 head coaching opportunity, so there is the legal possibility of damages there. Schiano's future earning potential would certainly be much better if he had never tried to do business with Tennessee (regardless of merits or non-merits of the Penn State issue). I don't see how Currie can survive this.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
With today's climate, all this light being shined on Schiano is likely to end his career as a coach. Guilty or not, organizations tend to want to distance themselves from polarizing figures like he has suddenly become.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We are okay destroying this guys reputation and career over something that he didn't even witness?
No, I'm not okay with destroying his reputation or his career - my point is that anyone accused of that sort of thing would not be my choice as a coach at my program. I totally get where people wouldn't want that association. Doesn't mean you can't welcome him with open arms at OSU, just saying I wouldn't want him at my school.

Surely that's something you can understand.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If they had a signed MOU, I'm sure that will either be settled or litigated. Tennessee certainly handled this in a way that will probably keep Schiano from ever getting another Power 5 head coaching opportunity, so there is the legal possibility of damages there. Schiano's future earning potential would certainly be much better if he had never tried to do business with Tennessee (regardless of merits or non-merits of the Penn State issue). I don't see how Currie can survive this.
I agree - I think that Schiano is about to get paid some serious $$$. He could absolutely prove damages if he fails to land another head coaching job in the next few months. TN needs to head that off now and settle.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No, I'm not okay with destroying his reputation or his career - my point is that anyone accused of that sort of thing would not be my choice as a coach at my program. I totally get where people wouldn't want that association. Doesn't mean you can't welcome him with open arms at OSU, just saying I wouldn't want him at my school.

Surely that's something you can understand.
A man gets accused of something and those false accusations follow him the rest of his life because no one wants the association. We all feel terrible for the guy, but let someone else help him out.

We live in a politically correct society that demands that we treat the accused as guilty. That is wrong. I do not support it. But I do understand it. I see it as weakness in the face of bullies.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
A man gets accused of something and those false accusations follow him the rest of his life because no one wants the association. We all feel terrible for the guy, but let someone else help him out.

We live in a politically correct society that demands that we treat the accused as guilty. That is wrong. I do not support it. But I do understand it. I see it as weakness in the face of bullies.
Any chance Urban might take him back?

Edit: or rather... keeps him on staff after this year?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Any chance Urban might take him back?
He never left (was coaching through the CFP if we made it), but they have had issues all along. I was surprised that he came back this year, but he had a 2 year contract.

He will stay for the next game - just don't know how effective he will be.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He never left (was coaching through the CFP if we made it), but they have had issues all along. I was surprised that he came back this year, but he had a 2 year contract.

He will stay for the next game - just don't know how effective he will be.
It worked out so well with us and Lane last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.