Let's just say Bama makes the Playoffs

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
"If" Bama gets in...

Will Bama be able to fix the issues on the O-Line?

Will the offensive gameplan cater to more runs for Harris, Scarborough, and Jacobs?

The D should get a little healthier at LB, but how will the loss of Hamilton affect them going forward, and will that translate to a better pass rush?

I would like Bama to get in but, can anyone honestly say they feel confident we get these issues fixed over a course of 30+ days playing the likes of a Oklahoma or Clemson?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I like our chances to be competitive on the defensive side of the ball given the time to prepare for one game, however, I do not like the our offensive inconsistency this year. Given that there is a year plus of footage on Jalen and how to defend him I would not give us a good chance of winning, barring an other-worldly performance by our defense.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
The offense would have to improve by leaps and bounds to beat Oklahoma or Clemson. Both of those teams can put up a lot of points (Oklahoma especially).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I suspect that if we get another shot at a national title, we will coach Hurts to get the ball out of his hands in the run and throw game. Call more quick hitters, lean HEAVILY on the tailbacks. Our offensive strategy of making Hurts the centerpiece kinda got exposed last Saturday. He's a really good player but I don't think he's another Deshaun Watson. He needs his backs carrying the load and his own legs being the gashing big play when they least expect it. He needs the ball out of his hands quick to get teams creeping up THEN use his good arm to make throws down field.

Too much dancing around on pass plays. Too many 100% QB keeper play calls. Playcaller could've reined it in but he didn't last Saturday. One thing about Saban, we rarely get beat the same way twice in a season. I doubt we lose due a poor offensive gameplan if we're playing in a meaningful game the next time this season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The offense would have to improve by leaps and bounds to beat Oklahoma or Clemson. Both of those teams can put up a lot of points (Oklahoma especially).
I disagree:

Clemson does not have last year's offense. Bryant can be contained and beat. Hold them to 21 points or less and you win.

Oklahoma is going to score 28 points - accept that as a given - but their defense is horrid. You might score 50 on them. They are that bad.

It is Auburn that presents a problem because they are so good both offensively and defensively.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I disagree:

Clemson does not have last year's offense. Bryant can be contained and beat. Hold them to 21 points or less and you win.

Oklahoma is going to score 28 points - accept that as a given - but their defense is horrid. You might score 50 on them. They are that bad.

It is Auburn that presents a problem because they are so good both offensively and defensively.
Agreed. I hope Georgia can knock them off this week.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
IMHO, top level competition as we would see would require a shift away from being what seems to be primarily a QB centered run game to one that centered more on our stable of excellent RB`s. Not that Jalen wouldn`t run the ball some, mind. The stat that I thought was so profound was the one showing 17 rushes for our QB compared to a total of 18 for our top 3 RBs combined ! With the book everyone has now on Jalen, how in the world can that be a prescription for success?

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I think so. Saban learns from his mistakes and will have the O ready to play. The D was sufficient to win even with the 3rd down screw ups. So if the 3rd down issue on D and O are fixed and we RTDB, we win.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I'd rather Bama play Miami in the Orange Bowl and win big and end up 12-1 and #3 in the nation than get in and get our butt kicked by Clemson or Oklahoma, which I'm pretty certain is exactly what would happen.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Our offensive strategy of making Hurts the centerpiece kinda got exposed last Saturday.
I've felt like the coaches put too much on Hurts and that causes the offense to become one-sided. Use his legs when you have to, but utilize the entire offense! The talent is there.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
With a month to prepare, I have to like our chances to compete. Our defense can be healthier and in sync. If Pruitt ends up leaving, that may scramble things a bit, but can be overcome. There's plenty to work on with the offensive side of the ball, but I have to believe we could fix things. Are we two touchdowns better than the other 3 teams that would be in? Probably not. But we could compete and have a real shot.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I'd rather Bama play Miami in the Orange Bowl and win big and end up 12-1 and #3 in the nation.
If there's one soul in that locker room or on the coaching staff that believes this...then you're a genius my friend.

I thought players, coaches, and fans alike expected nothing but Championships, where's your faith man?

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'd rather Bama play Miami in the Orange Bowl and win big and end up 12-1 and #3 in the nation than get in and get our butt kicked by Clemson or Oklahoma, which I'm pretty certain is exactly what would happen.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
If there's one soul in that locker room or on the coaching staff that believes this...then you're a genius my friend.

I thought players, coaches, and fans alike expected nothing but Championships, where's your faith man?
I'm sure Vanderbilt thought they were going to beat Bama earlier this year too, doesn't mean anything.

I *hope* we make the playoff and *hope we win both games* just like I *hope* a long lost uncle bequeaths me $50,000,0000... but I'm not going to expect any of those things.

This Bama team has some serious flaws, and not flaws that can be fixed easily.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Things Bama needs to do:
1. Get in playoff.
2. Work on fundamentals.
3. Decide what kind of offensive philosophy we want to employ for the playoff.
4. Get players healthy.
5. Call team meetings to resolve any issues that players may have with each other.
6. Win Championship.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm sure Vanderbilt thought they were going to beat Bama earlier this year too, doesn't mean anything.

I *hope* we make the playoff and *hope we win both games* just like I *hope* a long lost uncle bequeaths me $50,000,0000... but I'm not going to expect any of those things.

This Bama team has some serious flaws, and not flaws that can be fixed easily.
comparing bama's expectations to vandy's expectations doesn't help your case much

and this doesn't really fit with you "hoping" we make the playoff

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.