Precision Medicine

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I know we have some medical types on the board, so I thought I would create a thread on developments in the area of precision medicine especially with respect to genetics/genomics:

Here's a first article about the use of genetics to improve outcomes for stent recipients:

https://news.unchealthcare.org/news...mises-better-outcomes-in-heart-stent-patients

Researchers in the Division of Cardiology, School of Pharmacy and UNC McAllister Heart Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill are part of a national study which found that a quick, precise genetic test, when used to guide medication selection, can significantly reduce the risk of cardiovascular events in patients who receive a coronary stent.
Please share your thoughts on this and other aspects of precision medicine.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was lucky enough to be enrolled in a genetic study after receiving my first stent. I actually carry around a Cytochrome P-450 card in my wallet. In my case, it went in the opposite direction. I was on DAPT (double anti-platelet therapy) with an expensive anti-platelet drug called "Effient" plus aspirin. When the results came back, it turned out I was a rapid metabolizer of clopidogrel (Plavix). That led them to take me off Effient and place me on generic clopidogrel. There were other surprising results, most just confirming my suspicions but some being lifestyle-changing. I was a rapid metabolizer of a number of common classes, such as benzodiazapines (Valium, Ativan) and opiates. The real surprise was that I was an ultra-rapid metabolizer of the PPIs (Nexium, etc.). In fact, the notation read "It is doubtful this subject can attain a therapeutic level." Now, I had received my Nexium, and Prilosec before it, over the years from a close friend who was also my GE doc. Otherwise, I would have sunk thousands into those drugs. H2 blockers (Zantac) do work and I take those now. I probably damaged my kidneys, it turns out, from all those years of PPIs, unless my liver flushed them out before they could do much damage. (I do have mild CKD.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.