Link: Gary Danielson Take On The SECCG

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
He's right.

And now as far as I'm concerned there are no games scheduled this Saturday. I won't watch a minute a football this weekend.
I am going to watch teams 1-4 play and hope each one loses. That should stir the pot nicely.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have to say, the way Kerryon left the Iron Bowl, I would not be surprised to see him not play in Atlanta or to take a hit and reinjure himself, and not come back.
Without Kerryon, the Barn is not the same team.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
I have to say, the way Kerryon left the Iron Bowl, I would not be surprised to see him not play in Atlanta or to take a hit and reinjure himself, and not come back.
Without Kerryon, the Barn is not the same team.
I would have to agree with your assessment, without their running attack they will be hurting. I also don't expect the same Ga team that was at Jordan Hare.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
ATHENS — Gary Danielson grants he wasn’t as “eloquent” as he could have been in airing what Kirby Smart told him about turning in Auburn plays to the SEC. But Danielson stands by what he said, and going public with it in advance of the SEC Championship Game.

And Smart should send Danielson a thank-you note for the whole thing, according to Danielson’s broadcast partner.
That was the takeaway from Danielson and his play-by-play partner, Brad Nessler, who will call Saturday’s championship game between Georgia and Auburn. And they spent the first couple minutes of a teleconference Wednesday shining some light on an issue that came up during the weekend.

“I can only say that I’m comfortable with the information that I presented during the game. And I think Kirby will be, too. And if he isn’t it’s really not my problem,” Danielson said. “I work very heard at developing a trust with the coaches that what they tell me is fair game, and the fine line of off-the-record and on-the-record sometimes gets uncomfortable, but I don’t think I crossed any lines, and I don’t think Kirby thinks I crossed any lines.”

Smart’s response – the no-comment – was completely understandable, given that he can’t comment publicly on the officiating.
“I don’t think I was the most eloquent Gary I could have been,” Danielson said. “I would like to do it over.”

Gary Danielson stands by and elaborates on conversation with Kirby Smart about Auburn

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hope Smart stops talking to Gary altogether after Gary made this comment:

"And if he isn’t it’s really not my problem".

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think that the Barn's defensive game plan will be pretty clear: mug the crap out of Georgia receivers at the line of scrimmage, even if you get a few penalties doing so, force Georgia to run, and then put eight (or more) in the box to stop the run.
The question is, how many defensive holding/pass interference penalties will the officials be willing to call.
In the Iron Bowl, the officials were extremely reluctant to through that flag.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the Barn's defensive game plan will be pretty clear: mug the crap out of Georgia receivers at the line of scrimmage, even if you get a few penalties doing so, force Georgia to run, and then put eight (or more) in the box to stop the run.
The question is, how many defensive holding/pass interference penalties will the officials be willing to call.
In the Iron Bowl, the officials were extremely reluctant to through that flag.
They held on every play in the Iron Bowl. But Alabama and OSU used to employ those same tactics, so I really don't get too upset about it. The receivers need to be just as physical at the LOS. IMO, Alabama's receivers played soft in that game. They were not blocking for one another, and they were not creating separation with the DBs.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
If I'm not in the woods this weekend I will watch for sure. I love weekends like this where we think we need help to get in, the last time I remember doing this was the year we rematched with LSU when everything fell into place.

I'm rooting for chaos this weekend as we will be in for sure.

As for the barn game, well I don't mind seeing them win to help get us in (wouldn't that be great that they help us get in only for us to beat them?) but like someone said I dang sure ain't rooting for them!:biga2:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
They held on every play in the Iron Bowl. But Alabama and OSU used to employ those same tactics, so I really don't get too upset about it. The receivers need to be just as physical at the LOS. IMO, Alabama's receivers played soft in that game. They were not blocking for one another, and they were not creating separation with the DBs.
I love our receivers, but I hope Saban starts recruiting some bigger, taller receivers similar to Ole Miss and some other schools.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I love our receivers, but I hope Saban starts recruiting some bigger, taller receivers similar to Ole Miss and some other schools.
To be fair, several of the big-bodied receivers at OM were heavily recruited by Bama but ultimately cho$e OM.

It's not like 6'2" 220# guys who can run like the wind grow on trees.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Danielson seems to have taken a bit of umbrage with how the AU defensive backfield has defended in the games he's seen. He's a football guy at heart and he knows what they were doing were penalties even in the "good ol days" (which were the bad ol days for offenses lol). Sometimes I feel like Danielson feels that he is a defacto arbiter on SEC football. I do not think that is his role though. His seeming attempts to police games and the season itself have rubbed me the wrong way when it affected Alabama so I'm going to be internally consistent and say I disagree with this too. I certainly don't think Smart intended that to be broadcasted to the public either.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Wow.

I've never understood cutting off your own nose to spite your face.
I guess you've never been to Bosnia. I saw people there turn off their own electricity in order to turn off the electricity of that other ethnic neighborhood across the way. Crazy.
If the Barn winning helps Bama get into the playoff then War Eagle! (For the record, I'd love another swing at those guys with healthier linebacking corps and away from the "magical" officiating of Jerdun Hair.)

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I really wish the NCAA would change the PI penalty to be more like the NFL. I know some college fans immediately say "no, we don't want to be like the NFL" but, it is completely unfair that you can have a WR 40 yards down the field, be tackled, and only get a 15 yard penalty. That flag is not punishment, it is a reward because every defense would gladly take 15 yards vs 40+ or a TD. This isn't just a AU issue, it's a problem all over college football. Shoot, if I was a coach I would tell my DBs, if you are more then 15 yards down field, to do what they have to do to stop them from making a catch even if it draws a flag. Use the rules to your advantage.

If PI happens more the 15 from the LOS then it should be a spot foul, if it happens in the endzone ball should be placed on the 2. The penalties should discourage teams from breaking the rules but, the way it is currently, PI actually encourages teams to draw the flag.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I really wish the NCAA would change the PI penalty to be more like the NFL. I know some college fans immediately say "no, we don't want to be like the NFL" but, it is completely unfair that you can have a WR 40 yards down the field be tackled and only get a 15 yard penalty. That flag is not punishment, it is a reward because every defense would gladly take 15 yards vs 40+ or a TD. This isn't just a AU issue, it's a problem all over college football. Shoot, if I was a coach I would tell my DBs, if you are more then 15 yards down field, to do what they have to do to stop them from making a catch even if it draws a flag. Use the rules to your advantage.

If PI happens more the 15 from the LOS then it should be a spot foul, if it happens in the endzone ball should be placed on the 2.
I don't want it like the NFL. I 'd like to increase the yardage on the penalty. I'd like to see it be a spot foul up to 20-25 yards with an automatic first down. Anything PI committed over 20-25 yards is an automatic 20-25 yard penalty from the LOS. I think that is severe enough.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.