NCAA docks Ole Miss 13 schollies, two year bowl ban

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Re: NCAA hammers Ole Miss

Benito Jones and AJ brown will be juniors next year. If I am understanding it correctly the two year ban allows juniors and seniors the ability to transfer without sitting out. What Cecil was saying is if there was only a one year ban then only seniors could transfer.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

So were the involved boosters not exiled from the programs essentially? Part of me expects that Ole Miss has so deeply committed to this method that they'll just adjust a bit and keep the cash flowing to try and make this less damaging.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Benito Jones and AJ brown will be juniors next year. If I am understanding it correctly the two year ban allows juniors and seniors the ability to transfer without sitting out. What Cecil was saying is if there was only a one year ban then only seniors could transfer.
Two year bowl ban = 2017 and 2018 seasons. 2017 juniors are the only ones at the moment that can get away with it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Nope, the two year bowl ban is this year and next - next year both AJ and Benito (and Patterson) will be juniors - they will be 'bowl eligible' their senior year, so they're not immediately covered by there NCAA penalties. Only those who will be seniors next season can transfer without penalty.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Nope, the two year bowl ban is this year and next - next year both AJ and Benito (and Patterson) will be juniors - they will be 'bowl eligible' their senior year, so they're not immediately covered by there NCAA penalties. Only those who will be seniors next season can transfer without penalty.
Would have been better if MSU had beat them this year - then the bowl ban would not begin until next year since they would not be eligible for a bowl this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't think it works like that.
Not sure why it wouldn't wince the sanctions would not have come down until after their eligibility had been determined. IMO, they would have made it for the next 2 years had Ole Miss not been eligible this year. Had this been handed down earlier this season, when bowl eligibility was still undetermined, I agree.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Not sure why it wouldn't wince the sanctions would not have come down until after their eligibility had been determined. IMO, they would have made it for the next 2 years had Ole Miss not been eligible this year. Had this been handed down earlier this season, when bowl eligibility was still undetermined, I agree.
They self-imposed the ban this year, didn't they?

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Looks like my wife and I will make our first trip to Oxford for a football game without having to worry about losing. We're undefeated on the road in the SEC!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I read that to mean that they are only losing 13 schollies. It says, "13 grants overall"
The scholly loss is 13 total. Still pretty tough sanctions for Ole Mi$$.
The early reports were 13 in addition to the 10 self-imposed. 13 overall isn't bad at all. It's pretty manageable.
Dang it, Just checked JessN's review and they don't have any DL's worth a crap...
We would, without hesitation, take Benito Jones if he can immediately play.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Now that more clear info is coming out, NCAA was weak just like we thought they would be. 13 schollies total. Freaking ridiculous, should have been closer to 24 like we originally thought. Only one additional year bowl ban, what a joke. They got off easy for what they did IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.