2018 SEC not looking too strong

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
With so many new coaches, and UT in a total mess, Ole Miss sanctioned,SEC looks rough for 2018. Right now looks like no ones SOS will be high with so many SEC teams struggling. Looking at our 2018 schedule we could win all games and not be ranked in top 5, real weak schedule out of conference, and now even in conference. 2018 is trash for us even if we win big, LSU and Aubs only decent teams on the entire schedule. The rest is pure trash.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: 2018 SEC not looking to strong

Agreed, but some of the incoming coaches may help in future years.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Let's. Worry. About. 2017. First.
What is there to worry about in 2017? It is all but over as far as NC chase. We may slip in to playoff, but with our issues I do not see us doing well if we do get in. Between injuries and erratic offensive play this is not a NC caliber Bama team. The issues we have right now cannot be fixed over night. I loveBama but this is not our year in my opinion, had a great year but the struggles lately just do not look good.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

With so many new coaches, and UT in a total mess, Ole Miss sanctioned,SEC looks rough for 2018. Right now looks like no ones SOS will be high with so many SEC teams struggling. Looking at our 2018 schedule we could win all games and not be ranked in top 5, real weak schedule out of conference, and now even in conference. 2018 is trash for us even if we win big, LSU and Aubs only decent teams on the entire schedule. The rest is pure trash.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. Any Power 5 school that's undefeated at the end of the regular season is going to be in the top 5 because there just aren't that many undefeated teams left. Wisconsin played a bunch of weak teams this season and they are #3. There are two ways to look at a weak SEC. On one hand it can hurt us if we lose a game and get ourselves into a borderline playoff situation, but on the other hand it gives us a better chance to actually go undefeated which would guarantee ourselves a spot in the playoff.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I think 2017 is a bit misleading, So much of the division weakness rests on the one LSU loss to Troy. Granted this is bad but they were adjusting to a new coach and offense and Troy is one heck of a football team with quite a bit of transfer division I talent. Then Auburn goes and loses to LSU so in some peoples minds the West was on the level with Troy but in reality Arkansas and Ole Miss fell on their face (which historically isn't that unusual) and LSU, Auburn, Alabama, and Miss State had solid seasons, so really how weak was the division?

Next year I expect similar results with LSU, Auburn, Alabama being top 15 level teams with Miss State downward around 20. Essentially if none of the top three lose to Troy everyone will think it's a tough schedule.

Also don't be surprised to see Tennessee have at least a decent season, Butch was just an epically bad coach but he recruited some talent there and the next guy whoever that may be should be able to do something with them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The SEC actually has 5 very good teams this year - 3 teams in the top 6. You really can't expect much better from year to year.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I am saying SEC NEXT year will be real weak, so many new coaches. Doubt most or any of them get good first year with new coaches. Then looking at our schedule NEXT year will hurt us big time due to weak SEC and our pathetic out of conference schedule in 2018.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

*too :biggrin:
Not an english teacher but isn't using too in title grammatically wrong? Doesn't the proper use of "TOO" mean too should be able to be replaced with the word also ? Like I said I am no english major so excuse me if I left off a O :biggrin:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

2017 was supposed to be a weak year for the sec, yet here we are with 1 and possibly 2 teams in the playoffs and 5 in the top 25
Let's face it, the glory days of SEC dominance from 2007-2015 are over (for now). But even having come back to the pack, the SEC still has a solid share of the healthiest programs in the country.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Let's face it, the glory days of SEC dominance from 2007-2015 are over (for now). But even having come back to the pack, the SEC still has a solid share of the healthiest programs in the country.
I agree with that but it has to take a hit with so many new coaches at one time. Down the road it may be the best thing ever for SEC. I just know with our 2018 schedule only 2 games should even be worth watching LSU AUB games. The other 10 are walk aways right now unless some new guys make some big time advancements.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

you never know. we know the usual suspects have potential. But there at times is a player that just takes the league by storm from out of nowhere. You just never know how the next season will turn out.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

you never know. we know the usual suspects have potential. But there at times is a player that just takes the league by storm from out of nowhere. You just never know how the next season will turn out.
Exactly, as in Florida. Honestly I think they've just been a qb away from turning things around for the better. Mullen will find one and I wouldn't be surprised if it's sooner rather than later

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
2018 SEC not looking to strong

The SEC actually has 5 very good teams this year - 3 teams in the top 6. You really can't expect much better from year to year.
Great point.

To the OP- You’re absolutely wrong. Two of the hires have been really good. I think Moorhead @ MSU has great potential. Really good offensive mind. UF upgraded for sure with Mullen. If the TAMU situation holds Jimbo is a much better coach than Sumlin. The only one which would be weaker is would be Ole Miss and that’s because their program was just nuked by the NCAA. The outliers are Arky and UT. If one of them makes a solid hire the SEC could be much stronger than 2017. (Les Miles anyone?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.