How Sick Is Russian Society?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I just finished reading David Satter's book Darkness at Dawn: The Rise of the Russian Criminal State, about life in Russia in the 1990s and early 2000s. The most depressing book I have ever read. Crime, corruption, despair, inhumanity. Every government official is corrupt. Everybody's on the take.

One anecdote made me laugh.
An anonymous caller phoned in to the Russian equivalent of 911, reporting a dead body at a certain address.
The 911 operator tries to figure out which police department will have jurisdiction and find their telephone number.
She calls, but, unbeknownst to her, she has dialed the wrong number. She has actually called some schmo in an apartment somewhere in town.
"There is a dead body at 123 Main St." she says. "Have you written this down?"
"Yes," the unknown man on the other end says. "I've written it down."
After a few minutes, the guy calls her back and asked, "What am I supposed to do with this dead body?"

This is not a joke. Satter (p. 227) says this actually happened. Weird, but it made me laugh.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I just finished reading David Satter's book Darkness at Dawn: The Rise of the Russian Criminal State, about life in Russia in the 1990s and early 2000s. The most depressing book I have ever read. Crime, corruption, despair, inhumanity. Every government official is corrupt. Everybody's on the take.

One anecdote made me laugh.
An anonymous caller phoned in to the Russian equivalent of 911, reporting a dead body at a certain address.
The 911 operator tries to figure out which police department will have jurisdiction and find their telephone number.
She calls, but, unbeknownst to her, she has dialed the wrong number. She has actually called some schmo in an apartment somewhere in town.
"There is a dead body at 123 Main St." she says. "Have you written this down?"
"Yes," the unknown man on the other end says. "I've written it down."
After a few minutes, the guy calls her back and asked, "What am I supposed to do with this dead body?"

This is not a joke. Satter (p. 227) says this actually happened. Weird, but it made me laugh.
I don't think there is much of a distinction between Russian Politicians, Organized Crime and Business at any level.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I don't think there is much of a distinction between Russian Politicians, Organized Crime and Business at any level.
That was pretty much Satter's point. Remove the constraints of the CPSU, and what replaced it wasn't a flowering of Jeffersonian democracy, but the same search for raw power for personal benefit without the moderating influence of even the Marxist lie.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That was pretty much Satter's point. Remove the constraints of the CPSU, and what replaced it wasn't a flowering of Jeffersonian democracy, but the same search for raw power for personal benefit without the moderating influence of even the Marxist lie.
I'm not sure the Marxist lie was anything more than a very poor skin over a basically lawless enterprise. "Kremlin" should be a verb...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not sure the Marxist lie was anything more than a very poor skin over a basically lawless enterprise. "Kremlin" should be a verb...
Good point.
Satter is very good on the string of apartment bombings in 1999 (the Russians blamed the Chechens, justifying the 2nd Chechen War, which was popular and led to Putin first election).
He also demonstrates why Russians today will put up with so much crap from Putin.
In the 1990s, employers would withhold salary from workers for months (while executives were taking vacations in Cyprus). When workers complained to the cops (who, it turns out, were on the take), the cops would arrest the complainers. Criminal gangs were rampant. Every business needed a krisha (Russian for "roof") to protect the enterprise from other gangs. Gangs wars brought widespread murder to the streets. Anybody who refused to play would get shot/bombed/poisoned and/or their families would be shot/bombed/poisoned.
Just a horrific situation.
Putin has brought a certain amount of order to that chaos, although, he is the biggest krisha of them all.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Good point.
Satter is very good on the string of apartment bombings in 1999 (the Russians blamed the Chechens, justifying the 2nd Chechen War, which was popular and led to Putin first election).
He also demonstrates why Russians today will put up with so much crap from Putin.
In the 1990s, employers would withhold salary from workers for months (while executives were taking vacations in Cyprus). When workers complained to the cops (who, it turns out, were on the take), the cops would arrest the complainers. Criminal gangs were rampant. Every business needed a krisha (Russian for "roof") to protect the enterprise from other gangs. Gangs wars brought widespread murder to the streets. Anybody who refused to play would get shot/bombed/poisoned and/or their families would be shot/bombed/poisoned.
Just a horrific situation.
Putin has brought a certain amount of order to that chaos, although, he is the biggest krisha of them all.
Tidewater is Krisha a crime family leader or something? I googled it and didn't get a good definition.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Tidewater is Krisha a crime family leader or something? I googled it and didn't get a good definition.
I believe it is the same as paying protection money, or racketeering. You pay a gang to put a "krisha" over your head so they or other gangs don't mess with you.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
крыша (krisha in the Latin alphabet) means "roof." In a country in which protection rackets are rampant, you can imagine how the metaphor got applied to a gang one engages for protection against other gangs and against the police.
Everyone needs a roof to do business in Russia.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.