News Article: Phillip Fulmer has made contact with Les Miles about Tennessee job

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I heard a couple of days ago on some program that Les let it be known he was interested in the job. I miss Les's nonsensical press conferences.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
I can't believe someone hasn't been interested in Les before now. He didn't get fired because of a losing season or any kind of scandal. Les is a good coach. Stubborn and eccentric, but still a good coach and one that can bring the credibility of winning a NC and playing for another. It's hard to imagine Les dealing with the Great Pumpkin breathing down his neck with that Krispy Kreme breath, meddling in his coaching. That's the part that makes me think this won't happen.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I can't believe someone hasn't been interested in Les before now. He didn't get fired because of a losing season or any kind of scandal. Les is a good coach. Stubborn and eccentric, but still a good coach and one that can bring the credibility of winning a NC and playing for another. It's hard to imagine Les dealing with the Great Pumpkin breathing down his neck with that Krispy Kreme breath, meddling in his coaching. That's the part that makes me think this won't happen.
Les Miles and Mike Leach are not far apart.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I agree. He lost his job because he couldn't beat Bama. Doesn't change the fact that he was our most difficult game each year.

Problem is everyone don't like to hire coaches in their sixties. They would like to find the young coach that theoretically will be their man for 10 to 20 years. Doesn't seem to be working out so well for 98% of them.

The other issue with Les, or perception there is, is his stubbornness to change the offense and ability to find or develop a QB.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I really don’t see the Les-Phil marriage working out well.

I hope they hire him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think he could get them back on stable footing, but I'm not sure what else. He's 64, I think the real loser though would be LSU. I doubt they'd like having Les recruiting in the SEC again.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Les did well following Saban at LSU, but can he rebuild a program from the cellar? He took over a good team behind Saban, my question is Les up to building a program from scratch? That program is in a deep hole, will take a special type of coach to rebuild it. I like Les, hope he goes to a better place than UT.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've been saying it for months - Les Miles would do very well at ut. He would recruit well, he knows how to run a big-time FBS program, and his teams play tough, physical football.

And he has a couple of gaudy rings...

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Two things go against Les in this, his age and his inability to develop a QB and play in today's SEC scoring wise. Yes Les recruited well, but he was at LSU not UT. I am not sure anyone at this point is going to get great players to go to UT. He is 64 so rebuilding will stretch him. I think his biggest job will be to convince kids UT will be miles(pun intended) better fast. With Fulmer and those yahoos I am not sure if even LES can pull that off.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I really don’t see the Les-Phil marriage working out well.
Same here but you never know.

He already went through a situation where the PTB were second-guessing him constantly and treating him differently because he wasn't Saban. Not sure I'd want to step into another situation that could be just as bad or worse. Would expect other big time schools with less problems to come calling for him eventually even with him being a bit older.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Same here but you never know.

He already went through a situation where the PTB were second-guessing him constantly and treating him differently because he wasn't Saban. Not sure I'd want to step into another situation that could be just as bad or worse. Would expect other big time schools with less problems to come calling for him eventually even with him being a bit older.
Not being Saban is one thing, but not being Jones is another altogether . . .

I doubt any other Power 5 schools come calling for him at his age, and waiting another year only makes that worse.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
My thoughts on Les and his stubbornness are well known. Les couldn’t beat Bama and that was a part of why he was fired, but the overall inability to adapt (I.e. stubbornness) is the real reason he was fired. He runs a clean program, which is a huge positive.

We stole two top recruits out of TN last year, and the ability not to do that would concern me more than him coming to LA and taking our in state talent.

I’d be happy we won’t have to pay his buyout anymore.

with that said, I would be extremely surprised if he makes a true effort and lands the job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.