Bama vs Clemson part 3

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
removing RPO wouldn't have to completely remove jalen's running ability from the game. We've run a lot of IZR/OZR as well as some interesting WR option runs all year. We can still include a smattering of those ASSUMING Jalen makes better decisions. In the last several games of the year he kept quite a few reads he should have given to the RBs. The issue with the RPO against a front like Clemson is that since the OL doesn't know if it's a pass or run, they can't just fire off with intent to maul their man. If a play is a pure run (even if a zone-read), the OL can come out will ill intent which we'll need against that bunch. Jalen can, of course, also take off and run on pass plays that break down, but if we are going to be successful, he needs to hold on just a count or two longer, and get deeper into his reads so we get the ball out to the WRs.
I've gone the other way in my thinking since the IB. I'd like for Daboll and crew to remember what a 3 step (or less) drop is and that it's ok to run quick slants and curls. The RPO's and long progressions with Jalen trying to fit the ball into tight windows 15-20 yards downfield will get us beat against Clemson. We need some simple, quick hitting, high percentage stuff to make the game easier and force the second level to respect the threat of a pass - any pass. It's a tall order to block Clemson's front; the ball needs to be coming out quickly.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
IMO this is a big test for Daboll. He's going to have a month to prepare for this game so the game plan better be good. No excuse for what we saw against AU again. I'm not saying we have to score 50 points but the plays need to be there. If a WR is open and Jalen misses the pass or the WR drops the ball then that's on the players. If a RB fumbles the ball that's on the player. I want to see some rhythm and flow in our offense this game. I hate to say it but I want to see something similar to what AU did to use. Quick, decisive passes and an offensive approach that attacks the weakness of the defense. If we put together another 10-14 point offensive performance I'll be sour on Daboll unless there's just a ton of mistakes (fumbles, dropped passes etc.) by the players that don't have anything to do with play calling. We should be able to score at least 21 but we'll probably need in the 28-31 range to win the game..

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I don't think it's being an eeyore to be realistic that this team does some things very well and others not so well...and if the choice of plays called by the QB and the staff emphasize the things we don't do well, then Clemson is in good position to win the game. I don't think this team can simply flip a switch and dominate like some past Tide teams could.
My only concern was the stadium, and I said so in my posts. But I believed then, and I believe now. But stress if it makes you feel better somehow.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think it's being an eeyore to be realistic that this team does some things very well and others not so well...and if the choice of plays called by the QB and the staff emphasize the things we don't do well, then Clemson is in good position to win the game. I don't think this team can simply flip a switch and dominate like some past Tide teams could.
My posts have been very realistic, and I have pointed out many weaknesses of this Alabama team. I just continue to feel confident. Maybe because I have also watched the other teams play, and every one of them has weaknesses, too. In fact, I would say that Alabama has the fewest. But, more to my point, it just doesn't help to worry. The outcome of the game will be exactly the same. So why not be confident in your team? You will certainly sleep better at night over the next few weeks.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My posts have been very realistic, and I have pointed out many weaknesses of this Alabama team. I just continue to feel confident. Maybe because I have also watched the other teams play, and every one of them has weaknesses, too. In fact, I would say that Alabama has the fewest. But, more to my point, it just doesn't help to worry. The outcome of the game will be exactly the same. So why not be confident in your team? You will certainly sleep better at night over the next few weeks.
Yah, I know these are different teams, but this Bama offense is better than last years and Bryant, while good, is no Watson. Remove Watson and neither game is nearly as close, and Bama is playing for its third in a row.

I'm feeling good about it, too.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yah, I know these are different teams, but this Bama offense is better than last years and Bryant, while good, is no Watson. Remove Watson and neither game is nearly as close, and Bama is playing for its third in a row.

With a healthy defense back on the field I think we can cause Clemson's offense major problems. Bryant is not Watson, not even close. You can watch Clemson's offense this year and see how they have had to adjust the offense away from a lot of the things that they could do with Watson. They run a lot more QB designed runs with Bryant than Watson.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
This time I don't think Clemson will score 40 points like game 1 or even 35 points like game 2. I think defensively we can hold them in the 20's this time. Bryant is not as dynamic as Watson. When we have the ball I think Clemson will take away much of Jalen's running and they will also keep Ridley well covered. So that means our RB's will have to handle the bulk of the rushing and Jalen will have to find other receivers. If Jalen simply looks for Ridley and then tries to run if he's not open then we lose. The big question is if we fall behind early will Coach Saban possibly put Tua in the game or will he decide to live or die with Jalen. That decision could ultimately be the deciding factor in this game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This time I don't think Clemson will score 40 points like game 1 or even 35 points like game 2. I think defensively we can hold them in the 20's this time. Bryant is not as dynamic as Watson. When we have the ball I think Clemson will take away much of Jalen's running and they will also keep Ridley well covered. So that means our RB's will have to handle the bulk of the rushing and Jalen will have to find other receivers. If Jalen simply looks for Ridley and then tries to run if he's not open then we lose. The big question is if we fall behind early will Coach Saban possibly put Tua in the game or will he decide to live or die with Jalen. That decision could ultimately be the deciding factor in this game.
I think that you can hold them below 20.

Tradition4ever

1st Team
Oct 16, 2004
Carlsbad, NM
I've gone the other way in my thinking since the IB. I'd like for Daboll and crew to remember what a 3 step (or less) drop is and that it's ok to run quick slants and curls. The RPO's and long progressions with Jalen trying to fit the ball into tight windows 15-20 yards downfield will get us beat against Clemson. We need some simple, quick hitting, high percentage stuff to make the game easier and force the second level to respect the threat of a pass - any pass. It's a tall order to block Clemson's front; the ball needs to be coming out quickly.
I'm not sure the quick hitting slants and curls are Hurt's strengths. At this point of his development, he still doesn't seem to process the play quickly enough to identify where the ball needs to go quickly. I think that's why he tends to hold the ball for so long...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Exactly. We all need to get our swagger back. We are the most talented and best coached team (I know the Barn game may get some to disagree) in the tournament. We are going to be in New Orleans which is a home field advantage for us. Lets try to start sounding like it again!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
We have seen the question of Tua playing on a number of post. In my recollection Tua has not played a down this year when the game was in question. I believe if there was ever any intent to play Tua he would have played some series in the first half of games. I believe this is Hurts game to win or lose.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
We have seen the question of Tua playing on a number of post. In my recollection Tua has not played a down this year when the game was in question. I believe if there was ever any intent to play Tua he would have played some series in the first half of games. I believe this is Hurts game to win or lose.
I totally agree, he just has not seen the GAME pressure to play in a game of this magnitude, barring an injury. We need to run da ball that opens up everything else for us. Daboll has to establish the run and control the line of scrimmage if we want to win. Just my opinion, but big games as most games when talent is this close on both sides, these games go to those who control the OL and DL. When you have more talent you can be a little sloppy and win, not in a game like this.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Is it possible for coaching perfection and impeccable execution to beat insane monster talent? If so that's what I'm hoping for. I'm hoping for a great gameplan and great execution to win us this game.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Is it possible for coaching perfection and impeccable execution to beat insane monster talent? If so that's what I'm hoping for. I'm hoping for a great gameplan and great execution to win us this game.
If we play good on both sides we can win the game. We don't have be coached or play perfect just play good Bama football.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
With a healthy defense back on the field I think we can cause Clemson's offense major problems. Bryant is not Watson, not even close. You can watch Clemson's offense this year and see how they have had to adjust the offense away from a lot of the things that they could do with Watson. They run a lot more QB designed runs with Bryant than Watson.
This game simply comes down to the Alabama offense. Last year, our defense was on the field for 99 plays because our offense couldn't convert third downs. The line has to protect and open holes for the backs. Easier said than done with Clemson's front being so good. Ferrell and Dexter Lawrence are big time players. I feel good about the Alabama defense with more time to get healthy and cohesive. Hurts and the line will make or break this game. I actually think that we drew the better match up, though. Oklahoma's offense will be very hard to stop for Georgia's defense.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Exactly. We all need to get our swagger back. We are the most talented and best coached team (I know the Barn game may get some to disagree) in the tournament. We are going to be in New Orleans which is a home field advantage for us. Lets try to start sounding like it again!
To be honest, I thought Clemson fans outnumbered us each of the past two years, even out in Arizona. We need to turn the Super Dome into an Alabama home game. Also, I thought the game against Ohio State three years ago would be a home game but it was split and we lost the game. That has to change this year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
To be honest, I thought Clemson fans outnumbered us each of the past two years, even out in Arizona. We need to turn the Super Dome into an Alabama home game. Also, I thought the game against Ohio State three years ago would be a home game but it was split and we lost the game. That has to change this year.
Agreed. We have the most appearances and wins for the Sugar Bowl. We need to own the dome.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I totally agree, he just has not seen the GAME pressure to play in a game of this magnitude, barring an injury. We need to run da ball that opens up everything else for us. Daboll has to establish the run and control the line of scrimmage if we want to win. Just my opinion, but big games as most games when talent is this close on both sides, these games go to those who control the OL and DL. When you have more talent you can be a little sloppy and win, not in a game like this.
Against Clemson I believe we are going to have to pass to setup the run. They're going to load the box to start out. The only way we back them off is to make them respect our passing game by hitting some slants and pops across the middle, then we can show some balance but I don't think the rpo attack will be there vs Clemson. We are going to have to trust our running backs when we commit to running the ball. I honestly would not be surprised if we saw both QBs in some shape or fashion in this game.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Against Clemson I believe we are going to have to pass to setup the run. They're going to load the box to start out. The only way we back them off is to make them respect our passing game by hitting some slants and pops across the middle, then we can show some balance but I don't think the rpo attack will be there vs Clemson. We are going to have to trust our running backs when we commit to running the ball. I honestly would not be surprised if we saw both QBs in some shape or fashion in this game.
The offensive strategy that we saw against Auburn needs to be burned. That won't do anything against Clemson. Daboll and the rest of the offensive staff needs to bring an entirely different strategy into this game for us to have a chance to win. It could mean personnel changes and different looks but the talent is there to win.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Clemson will try to take away our strengths. They will focus on stopping our run game. They will make Jalen win on his weakness- his passing. I don't think Jalen has confidence in his own passing and that is why he is so hesitant. Clemson will bring lots of pressure on defense. Jalen has not performed well when playing against good defenses. You can devise all the strategy and schemes you want, but if your QB doesn't have the skill or confidence to execute it then it is an exercise in futility.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.