New CFP format.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
They just created the 6 team playoff. #6 Wisconsin would play AT #3 UGA. #5 tOSU would play AT #4 Bama. #1 Clemson and #2 Oklahoma would be waiting at the Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl for the winners.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They just created the 6 team playoff. #6 Wisconsin would play AT #3 UGA. #5 tOSU would play AT #4 Bama. #1 Clemson and #2 Oklahoma would be waiting at the Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl for the winners.
Which makes yesterday's Big 10 title game TOTALLY meaningless and nothing but an injury risk.......

smokies1

1st Team
Jul 10, 2005
I just want a 6 team playoff, 5 conference champions and 1 at large.

this year would look like

Clemson - Bye
Alabama - Georgia

Ohio State - USC
Oklahoma - Bye

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Which makes yesterday's Big 10 title game TOTALLY meaningless and nothing but an injury risk.......
Yes, every conference now needs to go back to the drawing board and get rid of the geographic divisions and set up scheduling and seeding for conference teams such that the 2 best teams in the conference playoff for the championship if they are going to keep scheduling conference championship games. I have always thought a 6 team playoff was the best option and have the 2 playin games the week of Christmas. it increases the chance for all P5 conferences to be represented plus 1 at large team. That would be an awesome 3 weeks of football for sure.

JTH

1st Team
Sep 23, 2006
Woodstock GA
I just want a 6 team playoff, 5 conference champions and 1 at large.

this year would look like

Clemson - Bye
Alabama - Georgia

Ohio State - USC
Oklahoma - Bye
So if a conference champ had 4 losses, they would be in simply for winning their conference. I thought a playoff was about having the best teams in.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So if a conference champ had 4 losses, they would be in simply for winning their conference. I thought a playoff was about having the best teams in.
Playoff zombies love having automatic entrants. It takes that whole pesky thinking thing out of the equation. Besides, it's more inclusive and aren't we all about being inclusive now? Merit? Nah, that isn't so important, just be inclusive.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I'm cool with 4.

I didn't even see many people arguing for six or eight teams when we thought we weren't going to make it.

I've always thought that after number 3 you're just lucky to have a chance. The problem with the old system was that we weren't getting the top 2 teams each year

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I'd MUCH prefer going back to the TWO game "Playoff" even though it wouldn't favor Alabama in many years. But the reality is it made the REGULAR SEASON a whole lot more important.

Lest we forget, we got in despite crapping the bed in a SHAMEFUL flop against our in-state rival, and we nearly lost out on the P_ayoffs to a team that lost by 31 points to an unranked opponent. They landed at #5.

Frankly, the BCS was a Vastly better deal than the P_ayoffs, but you know what was the Absoulte best?

The BAD OLE' DAYS when Byrant, Switzer, Hayes, Parseghian, etc. would get on the phone with the TV Networks and cut the deals they wanted, and when all the dust settled at midnight on New Years day, you very often had two teams with Great Arguments and both could hang banners - and HALF the rest of the teams could end their season with a WIN, instead of today when you have ONE "Winner" and 127 Losers.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Keep at 4, if you’re going to have 6, then you have to get rid of the 12th game, which won’t happen because we all know CFB is big business. Someone will complain about too many games and risk of injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Even with 6 I don't thin that conference champion is an automatic entry for the reason you just stated. A conference champion with 4 losses or even 3 losses is proof of an incredibly weak conference. At that point you would take the 2 best at large teams. Because as CNS said last night all conferences are not created equal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

smokies1

1st Team
Jul 10, 2005

How often has a non conference champion won the national title? Alabama is in a position to do it twice and the "at large" spot takes care of the odd ball situation we find ourselves in during years like this.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I hate what is happening to college football. Even if it got to 8 or 12 teams there will always be someone complaining. Football is NOT like basketball...the more games you add the more likely key players get injured thus changing the complexion of the outcome. If you are playing several teams with top talent it becomes a survival of the fittest rather than who is truly the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
eh...I like the idea of 6 but without the automatic qualifying conference champion. Best 6 teams are the best 6 Teams. After that I don't care who complains.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.