Gus 7 years 49 million @ AU. LOL

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Gus 7 years 49 million. Lol

LOL @ the 8-5 predictions - when will you people learn? Every time people predict auburn to be 'meh' they perform well.

I personally think they'll be pretty good as Stidham will be back and he's developed into a good QB...

In 2014, Auburn was the defending SEC champion and returned almost the entire offense....including quarterback Nick Marshall.

Even losing those two standouts, the worst-case scenario for Auburn looks like nine starters back (note: on offense)

They went 8-5.

In 2017, Auburn returned SEVENTEEN starters.

They're losing FOUR offensive linemen.

The flip side to your argument is that every single time Auburn comes into the year with hype, they implode. Every. Single. Time.

Doesn't even matter who's coaching them. Every. Single. Time.

And now they have a guy who is guaranteed rich and has no incentive whatsoever to actually achieve and has demonstrated little more than the ability to run a track meet. He's demonstrated ZERO ability to actually recruit a QB out of high school, all 3 guys (and I'll include Gus with Cam since GM was the OC on that team) transferred in after controversies at their original schools.

In the last four years, Malzahn IN THE SEC is 18-14....Dan Mullen with less talent and a much tougher job at MSU is only one game behind at 17-15 and surely nobody will argue the talent assembled is even in the same universe.

Let's see the guy put together two consecutive stellar seasons.

Is history a guide? No, but the same guy with the same "I can't beat you playing regular football so I'm going to have a track meet" offense is still there.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
With the bipolar feelings for Gus there's a more than fair chance they'll be paying his buyout next year. Would say about 80% chance two years from now.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Nothing.

What do you think would happen?
Well after making him a 7 million a yr coach and then losing 4th game, and missing playoff, I assume some will start to rumble if UCF beats them. UCF has good record but they are not SEC caliber team in my opinion. I think some will realize that 7 mil for 7 yrs was a bit much.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Well after making him a 7 million a yr coach and then losing 4th game, and missing playoff, I assume some will start to rumble if UCF beats them. UCF has good record but they are not SEC caliber team in my opinion. I think some will realize that 7 mil for 7 yrs was a bit much.
Nope, not really. Gus has done more than enough this year. He`s on automatic pilot and has been since the IB, IMO.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Nope, not really. Gus has done more than enough this year. He`s on automatic pilot and has been since the IB, IMO.
If so then more power to them. I am now a UCF fan for a while though LOL

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

We can criticize Auburn all we want for overpaying Gus, but the only care about one game and he won that one...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Is Gus worth $7 million? Probably not.

On the flip side, what was Auburn going to do? Who could they have hired with no AD in place? This isn't a great year to find a coach. Gus had all the leverage, so Auburn did what they had to do.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Is Gus worth $7 million? Probably not.

On the flip side, what was Auburn going to do? Who could they have hired with no AD in place? This isn't a great year to find a coach. Gus had all the leverage, so Auburn did what they had to do.
I think an interesting question is if they were stable in the AD position and there wasn`t such a flood of open HC positions to soak up all the decent replacement candidates out there, would Gus still be at the barn today? IMO, yes.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Gus should be okay next year:
Here’s a look at the 2018 Auburn football schedule:

• Sept. 1 — Washington (at Atlanta)
  • Sept. 8 — Alabama State
  • Sept. 15 — LSU
  • Sept. 22 — Arkansas
  • Sept. 29 — Southern Miss
  • Oct. 6 — at Mississippi State
  • Oct. 13 — Tennessee
  • Oct. 20 — at Ole Miss
  • Oct. 27 — Bye
  • Nov. 3 — Texas A&M
  • Nov. 10 — at Georgia
  • Nov. 17 — Liberty
  • Nov. 24 — at Alabama

3 or 4 potential losses on the schedule.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

• Sept. 15 — LSU
  • Sept. 22 — Arkansas
  • Oct. 13 — Tennessee
  • Oct. 20 — at Ole Miss
  • Oct. 27 — Bye
  • Nov. 3 — Texas A&M
  • Nov. 10 — at Georgia
  • Nov. 17 — Liberty
  • Nov. 24 — at Alabama

Potentially one in the opener. I have no clue who or what Peterson has returning. But you can guarantee his team will be a hard out, regardless. If he's got above average talent at a few skilled positions. It could be even tougher for the barners.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Potentially one in the opener. I have no clue who or what Peterson has returning. But you can guarantee his team will be a hard out, regardless. If he's got above average talent at a few skilled positions. It could be even tougher for the barners.
Washington's QB (Browning) will be back since he slipped a great deal in NFL ratings this year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

• Sept. 15 — LSU
  • Sept. 22 — Arkansas
  • Oct. 13 — Tennessee
  • Oct. 20 — at Ole Miss
  • Oct. 27 — Bye
  • Nov. 3 — Texas A&M
  • Nov. 10 — at Georgia
  • Nov. 17 — Liberty
  • Nov. 24 — at Alabama

Right now, the bolded games are the ones I could see Auburn losing.

Jake Browning isn't getting the NFL hype was getting last year. His backup has announced he's transferring as a grad-transfer, so he very well could be back in 2018.

LSU is always going to be tough solely based on talent.

The State game depends on Fitzgerald's recovery and how Moorhead translates to the SEC.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

So a Aub win over Bama is worth 7 million a year to aubs. Man they must be printing money over at the cow college LOL. He beat Bama 2 times in 5 yrs, wow I got to find me an aubie job. I got 5 bucks that says as usual aubs cannot back up a 10 win season with 10 wins.Tubberville did it one time, no other time has auburn had back to back 10 win seasons. Boy they do have low expectations at the barn. I would think you get back to back ten win seasons before paying 7 million a yr for 7 yrs.
Tubberville had not even purchased his pine box at Ole Miss when Pat Dye won 10 games at Auburn in 1988 and 1989. He was still an assistant at Miami.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011

• Sept. 15 — LSU
  • Sept. 22 — Arkansas
  • Oct. 13 — Tennessee
  • Oct. 20 — at Ole Miss
  • Oct. 27 — Bye
  • Nov. 3 — Texas A&M
  • Nov. 10 — at Georgia
  • Nov. 17 — Liberty
  • Nov. 24 — at Alabama

Will Tennessee even have a coach by then?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Right now, the bolded games are the ones I could see Auburn losing.

Jake Browning isn't getting the NFL hype was getting last year. His backup has announced he's transferring as a grad-transfer, so he very well could be back in 2018.

LSU is always going to be tough solely based on talent.

The State game depends on Fitzgerald's recovery and how Moorhead translates to the SEC.
Many times with Auburn there's "that game" in which no one predicted they would lose (before the season) and then they do. "That game" for me in 2018 will be aTm. Keep an eye on that game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.