AP Announces All-SEC Teams and POY Awards

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Good list - not sure how Fitzpatrick was not unanimous, and only idiots would rank the FL punter higher than Scott.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Good list - not sure how Fitzpatrick was not unanimous, and only idiots would rank the FL punter higher than Scott.
The Florida punter, Johnny Townsend, led the conference in punting average at 47.55 yards per punt - JK was 7th at 43.38. I know that is not the end all be all for punters, but 47.55 yards is really good. To say someone is an idiot because they didn't vote for JK is ridiculous. Townsend is really a very good punter. He has had a very good career at Florida.

JK will probably win the Ray Guy award for best punter in the country - they break down the stats way more than the SEC voters - who probably only look at punting average.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
In Damien's case, you got to average more than 9.16 carries per game to be an all SEC running back. I still can't believe we didn't run him more this season.
Within the context of just sports it's been criminal......straight up 1st class felony misuse of talent. He should be a 1st team All-AMERICAN and a Heisman, Maxwell, and Doak Finalist.

If our Clemson gameplan is not drawn up around feeding Damien backed up by Bo and Josh I will just throw my hands up in complete 'I give up trying to figure this nonsense out' type fashion.

This whole year has been Bizarro land on Offense.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The Florida punter, Johnny Townsend, led the conference in punting average at 47.55 yards per punt - JK was 7th at 43.38. I know that is not the end all be all for punters, but 47.55 yards is really good. To say someone is an idiot because they didn't vote for JK is ridiculous. Townsend is really a very good punter. He has had a very good career at Florida.

JK will probably win the Ray Guy award for best punter in the country - they break down the stats way more than the SEC voters - who probably only look at punting average.
Yet, you wonder how much of that reflects more on the offense than the punter. If you have a longer field to punt...you will average more.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Yet, you wonder how much of that reflects more on the offense than the punter. If you have a longer field to punt...you will average more.
True. JK has had many short fields to punt on this year and it has affected his overall average. However, the Ray Guy awards people recognize that and looks at all that really closely. It is why he was one of the three finalists.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Punting is not about distance - it is about putting the other team in a hole. Scott's average is so low only because he so rarely got to punt from deep in Alabama territory. If Alabama's offense sucked like Florida's offense, his distance numbers would be the highest in the country. People who do not understand this should not be allowed to vote on punters.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How many times did you hear Anthony Averitt's name this year? Exactly -- and for a DB -- that's gold. He deserved a mention.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Punting is not about distance - it is about putting the other team in a hole. Scott's average is so low only because he so rarely got to punt from deep in Alabama territory. If Alabama's offense sucked like Florida's offense, his distance numbers would be the highest in the country. People who do not understand this should not be allowed to vote on punters.
What you say is absolutely true, and Scott is a great punter. However, you can't punish the Florida kicker for having better numbers just because his offense is terrible. Averaging nearly 48 yards per punt as often as he probably punted is very good. This is a little like who gets in the playoff. If you ask me which punter I would pick for my team, I would pick Scott, but acting like the other guy's results on the field don't matter would mean they should throw out the stats and just pick by the "eye test."

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
it's hard to use an Auburn player as an example (and this isn't a swipe at any of our guys...just an observation)...the picture of Braden Smith is what I like seeing from an O-Lineman looking to mash a defender...looks like he has a mean streak a mile long.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
How many times did you hear Anthony Averitt's name this year? Exactly -- and for a DB -- that's gold. He deserved a mention.
I think Averitt is great. I thought he was our best CB last year, and I thought he continued his great work this year. The dude absolutely lives in the receivers' hip pockets.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Averitt is great. I thought he was our best CB last year, and I thought he continued his great work this year. The dude absolutely lives in the receivers' hip pockets.
Agreed, but keep in mind that he has not been your best CB this year.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
it's hard to use an Auburn player as an example (and this isn't a swipe at any of our guys...just an observation)...the picture of Braden Smith is what I like seeing from an O-Lineman looking to mash a defender...looks like he has a mean streak a mile long.
Haha, that dude does look like a monster in that pic. It is funny how often we talk about the weaknesses in our o-line, yet we have three first team All SEC players on the line.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Agreed, but keep in mind that he has not been your best CB this year.
Levi Wallace has played great, but there is a reason that teams throw at him more than Averitt. Wallace has made the plays and deserves to be All SEC, but I would still take Averitt first if I were picking my team. I wish we had at least one of them returning for next year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Haha, that dude does look like a monster in that pic. It is funny how often we talk about the weaknesses in our o-line, yet we have three first team All SEC players on the line.
I have been telling you guys all season how good your o-line is. Most only follow the ball on plays, then when something happens and there is pressure on the QB or the RB gets stuffed, they blame the o-line. When you focus on your o-line, you can't help but see how dominant the center of your line is. Your tackles are up and down, but your center and guards are very, very good.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have been telling you guys all season how good your o-line is. Most only follow the ball on plays, then when something happens and there is pressure on the QB or the RB gets stuffed, they blame the o-line. When you focus on your o-line, you can't help but see how dominant the center of your line is. Your tackles are up and down, but your center and guards are very, very good.
Stunned to see Alabama ranks fourth in the nation in TFL allowed with 45 total (3.75 per game).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.