Why Isn't Bill Clark Getting Any Looks for Job Openings???

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
The guy has done an incredible job at both Jacksonville State and UAB. I think he would be a lot better pick for Arky or TN than the other names being tossed around. Am I missing something?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There's a bunch of obvious reasons. This reminds me of during the Saban to Texas rumors a few years back there was a prominent member here who was dead serious that Alabama should go after Joey Jones if Saban were to leave. Dead serious. Arguing with people who tried to reason with him serious. I'm not trying to put down Bill Clark but it's not very often a coach goes from a small school up to a big time program..

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
There's a bunch of obvious reasons. This reminds me of during the Saban to Texas rumors a few years back there was a prominent member here who was dead serious that Alabama should go after Joey Jones if Saban were to leave. Dead serious. Arguing with people who tried to reason with him serious. I'm not trying to put down Bill Clark but it's not very often a coach goes from a small school up to a big time program..
This, and the fact that all of these openings for big time programs have fan bases craving the sexy name. Clark has done an amazing job so far but just does not have that it factor yet. If he sustains his success you can bet he will be noticed and snapped up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Instead of hiring a guy with head coaching experience (and rebuilding an entire program), a place like Tennessee is willing to go hire an assistant with no head coaching experience. Makes sense.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
There really haven't been that many openings in the southeast that would be a good fit for a guy like Clark. Ole Miss stayed in-house with their hire. Mississippi State could have been a decent fit for him, but they went a different way. Most of the other openings recently filled or still open (Arky, A&M, UT, UF, FSU, etc.) are at places that aiming higher up the food chain than a guy like Clark. He might make sense at UCF (which is actually a BIG step up from UAB), but they probably aim a little higher or go for somebody with deeper ties to Florida...I don't know.

I think Clark's "do more with less" reputation probably makes him more of a fit at a place like Vandy or Wake Forest or Georgia Tech. I can see him landing at a place like that in the future.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Coach Clark is a friend, but him being the HC at 11essee - that'd be tough to stomach. I'd be happy for him, but...dang.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
8-4 and headed to Bahamas Bowl vs Ohio; pretty amazing

He got a new contract at$900k a year; lot of money for UAB
Unless UAB can bring more people to Legion Field... They may again go out of business.
No attendance means little money. Birmingham has a history of paying lip service to UAB but their allegiance has been to several Black Colleges. It's not a racial thing, it's where many of the folks in Birmingham went to college.
In my opinion Clark is a good coach. He has proven himself. He's just not a household name, unless you cover UAB, or Jacksonville State.

Last edited:

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Unless UAB can bring more people to Legion Field... They may again go out of business.
No attendance means little money. Birmingham has a history of paying lip service to UAB but their allegiance has been to several Black Colleges. It's not a racial thing, it's where many of the folks in Birmingham went to college.
In my opinion Clark is a good coach. He has proven himself. He's just not a household name, unless you cover UAB, or Jacksonville State.
UAB actually led Conference USA in attendance this year.

http://www.cusa-talk.com/

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Clark has done an amazing job but recruiting for him is not as hard as it was for UAB in the past. Both Alabama and Auburn are recruiting top 100 players cost to coast. Between the two they don't take as many in state players as they used to. So there are more Alabama based players available to him than had been historically.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Clark has done an amazing job but recruiting for him is not as hard as it was for UAB in the past. Both Alabama and Auburn are recruiting top 100 players cost to coast. Between the two they don't take as many in state players as they used to. So there are more Alabama based players available to him than had been historically.
Good point but even so there are certainly 25 very quality kids every year within a 100 miles of Birmingham willing to come play for the Blazers. Still, one cannot discount the job Clark has done - taking over a program and taking them to a bowl game the first year after a long draught by the previous staff (then gets closed down), sitting around a couple of seasons trying to build a team in uncertainty then going 8-4 in Conference USA after the hiatus. The dude can flat out coach IMHO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.