We should enjoy this era more

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Agreed I even fall back into the whining sometimes. I lived through the good of Bear and the bad after. I must say sometimes under Saban we get so spoiled to winning the losses hurt so bad. Good to be reminded, that the losses now are few and far between. I try not to bash anyone mad at a loss. The fact it is so rare does get the blood up. I can remember when we almost expected losses so we never were really mad about them. Getting real worked up about a loss to me is actually great, it shows Nick has us so used to winning we really hate any loss, but really really hate losing IB when we are a better team than we showed this yr. I know we will lose now and then, I like the fact that we no longer accept a loss as just what happens. I never got upset over Ole Miss losses like some others. We got out played and coached, they attacked our weak spots. Some times teams are just batter match ups. I love the run we have, and that is why the IB loss hurt so bad. I still think we gave that game to auburn. We just looked flat and in disarray most of the game. Very unbama like for a Nick Saban Bama team.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
That good sir, is a post and a half.

In my other sporting passion I have witnessed you're cautionary warning come to pass.

Enjoy every last second of this whilst it lasts and appreciate it for the magnitude it truly holds.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Great post! I've been reminding people to enjoy this for several years now - it's amazing that there are people who still whine despite the fact they've NEVER experienced a team dominating CFB like Bama has over the last 10 seasons.

If you don't enjoy it now, you're going blink and miss it...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm an old fan.

I got to enjoy Coach Bryant's victories.

We suffered thru probations and poor coaching for a while after CPB retired.

Then we came out of the wilderness when Coach Saban stepped off the plane.

I am fortunate to have been a Alabama Fan for Coach Bryant, and Coach Saban. :BigA:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Every year there's the random thread like this one. It's a thread that references the heights of success obtained under Coach Bryant. Many of our older members and alumni can remember those times and speak of them fondly.

Then came the decade+ until Alabama would win a national championship. Flash forward to 15 years later with the arrival of Coach Saban, and we all know how that's gone.

I'm a "younger" fan, who grew up with VA tech in Virginia, and despite all Beamers attempts, Virginia's a basketball state. The military moved me to Bama around 2006 and like so many others I was asked a question...."who's your team?" Didn't matter what state I was from, I had a choice - Alabama, Auburn or tar and feathers. I chose Bama, and lucked out. I'm not a fair weather fan however. My wife (from Hawaii, another nonfootball state) and I have attended full seasons for years now, travelled to every opener and post season since 2011 (even when I'm not in country, she still goes.)

My wife was at auburn for the kick 6 (for her birthday) and has a hatred for that team that seems unnatural. She called me in tears at pout TOC in Afghanistan as I saw the events unfold about ten minutes later.

We were at ole miss in 2016 in the most miserably hot and humid game I've ever been to, when Bama finally put them back in their place.

I'm working on my masters through UA, not that it makes me a "better" fan, but because this program has given me some incredible moments that my wife and I cherish, and I want to be a part of the legacy that is Alabama.

I was in Manhattan, Kansas at our units cmas party in a room full of kstate alum the night that both they and Oregon lost, giving Bama the opportunity to play Notre Dame.

So the reason for this thread is due to the reminders that popped up on my phone a few minutes ago. See the attached image. Every year after the iron bowl and the SEC championship, and the new years 6 games, reminder pops up reminding me to cancel my hotel reservations at the location of the next game in the post season.

Another reminder pops up telling me that I need to make reservations in the appropriate city for the NEXT years college football playoffs.

Imagine if you will......a run of success so constant that I can LITERALLY make plans and reservations off of it? This won't last forever, and by god, it's clear that many of us take it for granted and are really starting to get skewed perspectives (11-1 seasons are enough for near riots.)

I keep going back to the Bama Notre Dame game and the tickets. We all remember how expensive those things were. Talking to my grandmother I explained how I couldn't justify the thousands of dollars for airfare, tickets, etc for a trip like that. She said, "Do this. Tomorrow everything could change. You may never be able to go to another game. Alabama could fall from where it's been, never to return in your lifetime. No matter how often it happens, how many titles they get, treat each like it's the last because you don't know what the future holds."

So here I am, tickets enroute for New Orleans, ready to break the bank on Atlanta, hopefully and gleefully. I hope each one of you are enjoying the games in your favorite way, be it live, on your favorite recliner, with family, friends, or maybe just an auburn or tennessee fan nearby so you can rub their faces in it.

I never knew that over ten years ago moving to some podunk town in southern Alabama would change my life. No, we won't always have Coach. We won't always have a top 3, 5, or one day even a top 20 recruiting class. And no, my sun neither rises nor sets on the backs of 18-22 year olds playing a game.

But my life is richer, my heart skips a beat, and a smile breaks out every time I hear those two little words.....

Roll Tide.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Literally one of the best posts I've read in the almost 20 years of doing this...

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Every year there's the random thread like this one. It's a thread that references the heights of success obtained under Coach Bryant. Many of our older members and alumni can remember those times and speak of them fondly.

Then came the decade+ until Alabama would win a national championship. Flash forward to 15 years later with the arrival of Coach Saban, and we all know how that's gone.

I'm a "younger" fan, who grew up with VA tech in Virginia, and despite all Beamers attempts, Virginia's a basketball state. The military moved me to Bama around 2006 and like so many others I was asked a question...."who's your team?" Didn't matter what state I was from, I had a choice - Alabama, Auburn or tar and feathers. I chose Bama, and lucked out. I'm not a fair weather fan however. My wife (from Hawaii, another nonfootball state) and I have attended full seasons for years now, travelled to every opener and post season since 2011 (even when I'm not in country, she still goes.)

My wife was at auburn for the kick 6 (for her birthday) and has a hatred for that team that seems unnatural. She called me in tears at pout TOC in Afghanistan as I saw the events unfold about ten minutes later.

We were at ole miss in 2016 in the most miserably hot and humid game I've ever been to, when Bama finally put them back in their place.

I'm working on my masters through UA, not that it makes me a "better" fan, but because this program has given me some incredible moments that my wife and I cherish, and I want to be a part of the legacy that is Alabama.

I was in Manhattan, Kansas at our units cmas party in a room full of kstate alum the night that both they and Oregon lost, giving Bama the opportunity to play Notre Dame.

So the reason for this thread is due to the reminders that popped up on my phone a few minutes ago. See the attached image. Every year after the iron bowl and the SEC championship, and the new years 6 games, reminder pops up reminding me to cancel my hotel reservations at the location of the next game in the post season.

Another reminder pops up telling me that I need to make reservations in the appropriate city for the NEXT years college football playoffs.

Imagine if you will......a run of success so constant that I can LITERALLY make plans and reservations off of it? This won't last forever, and by god, it's clear that many of us take it for granted and are really starting to get skewed perspectives (11-1 seasons are enough for near riots.)

I keep going back to the Bama Notre Dame game and the tickets. We all remember how expensive those things were. Talking to my grandmother I explained how I couldn't justify the thousands of dollars for airfare, tickets, etc for a trip like that. She said, "Do this. Tomorrow everything could change. You may never be able to go to another game. Alabama could fall from where it's been, never to return in your lifetime. No matter how often it happens, how many titles they get, treat each like it's the last because you don't know what the future holds."

So here I am, tickets enroute for New Orleans, ready to break the bank on Atlanta, hopefully and gleefully. I hope each one of you are enjoying the games in your favorite way, be it live, on your favorite recliner, with family, friends, or maybe just an auburn or tennessee fan nearby so you can rub their faces in it.

I never knew that over ten years ago moving to some podunk town in southern Alabama would change my life. No, we won't always have Coach. We won't always have a top 3, 5, or one day even a top 20 recruiting class. And no, my sun neither rises nor sets on the backs of 18-22 year olds playing a game.

But my life is richer, my heart skips a beat, and a smile breaks out every time I hear those two little words.....

Roll Tide.

Great post sir, thank you for sharing and thank you for your service, and Roll Tide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2017
Enjoy this while it lasts. Whenever saban hangs up his whistle get ready for the craziness that is a new coaching search. Just look around what has transpired across the college coaching landscape the last few weeks. It’s gonna be crazy in Tuscaloosa whenever coach saban retires.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Enjoy this while it lasts. Whenever saban hangs up his whistle get ready for the craziness that is a new coaching search. Just look around what has transpired across the college coaching landscape the last few weeks. It’s gonna be crazy in Tuscaloosa whenever coach saban retires.
That is when insanity will reign. As bad as teams like UT are having, imagine the expectations there will be to get another Saban. Will not happen, as there is no other Saban. We better really enjoy this, even a good coach cannot make this kind of run. To have lightning hit twice at Alabama with Bear and Saban, a 3rd strike is very unlikely. This would be hard for any coach to match even with our new found popularity among kids coming out of HS. I lived long enough to see part of Bear's reign and all of Nicks so far. I doubt I live long enough to see the third coming.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Great Post ... I also lived in the CPB era, suffered the dark ages (punctuated by '92) and have enjoyed every moment of the CNS era. Even the rare loss reminds me that you are not going to win them all ... It sure is nice to win most of them though and I am confident it will be a very long time before another coach eclipses what CNS is laying down before our eyes.
Right there with you on this , Ghost. We ( all us old timers ) have been fortunate to be able to live through and appreciate two golden eras and one very good one ( CGS ) of Alabama football. Unfortunately, we probably will not have enough time on the planet to witness anything quite like it again. But sure has been, and currently is, a great ride!! RTR

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I see a few subjects comments about eeyores and must admit, I'm one. I routinely avoid the the game day that's except to well wish or show up with my .02¢ in the "good, bad, ugly" thread.

I personally have no problem with pessimism, but I try not to rain on anyone else's parade.

I wasn't trying to call you out or anything, was speaking more generally.

I have a bit of a pessimist streak as well although it has helped that I've learned that no matter how bleak a game looks for the first however many minutes this team (especially under Saban) usually has a good chance of coming back. 15 years ago I'd have needed to avoid the game threads as well for your same reasons (both because of the on field product & my own pessimism being worse).

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Frankly, I won't be shocked (or disappointed) if Coach Saban pulls a "stunt" like Dean Smith did at UNC and Bob Stoops did at OU, and thus settles the question of who will succeed him.

At UNC, Smith retired suddenly and without notice in OCTOBER 1997, mere weeks before the next basketball season was to start, and made sure his long-time (~30 years) assistant, Bill Guthridge, was named as his successor. Guthridge coached three years before himself retiring, and took UNC to the "Final Four" twice in his three seasons - not exactly "chopped liver".

Of course, as we all know, Stoops also retired suddenly and without notice in JUNE 2017, also mere weeks before fall practices and the next season were to start. Lincoln Riley had only been on the OU staff since Jan. 2015, and had not played for or previously worked for Stoops - but so far, you'd have to say it's worked out pretty well for OU.

Won't break my heart if the same things happens at UA....

And lets be honest - the "Decision makers" have all changed, but its no secret that the last two coaches who retired from this job had NO SAY Whatsoever in picking their successors......

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.