We should enjoy this era more

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Every year there's the random thread like this one. It's a thread that references the heights of success obtained under Coach Bryant. Many of our older members and alumni can remember those times and speak of them fondly.

Then came the decade+ until Alabama would win a national championship. Flash forward to 15 years later with the arrival of Coach Saban, and we all know how that's gone.

I'm a "younger" fan, who grew up with VA tech in Virginia, and despite all Beamers attempts, Virginia's a basketball state. The military moved me to Bama around 2006 and like so many others I was asked a question...."who's your team?" Didn't matter what state I was from, I had a choice - Alabama, Auburn or tar and feathers. I chose Bama, and lucked out. I'm not a fair weather fan however. My wife (from Hawaii, another nonfootball state) and I have attended full seasons for years now, travelled to every opener and post season since 2011 (even when I'm not in country, she still goes.)

My wife was at auburn for the kick 6 (for her birthday) and has a hatred for that team that seems unnatural. She called me in tears at our TOC in Afghanistan as I saw the events unfold about ten minutes later.

We were at ole miss in 2016 in the most miserably hot and humid game I've ever been to, when Bama finally put them back in their place.

I'm working on my masters through UA, not that it makes me a "better" fan, but because this program has given me some incredible moments that my wife and I cherish, and I want to be a part of the legacy that is Alabama.

I was in Manhattan, Kansas at our units cmas party in a room full of kstate alum the night that both they and Oregon lost, giving Bama the opportunity to play Notre Dame.

So the reason for this thread is due to the reminders that popped up on my phone a few minutes ago. See the attached image. Every year after the iron bowl and the SEC championship, and the new years 6 games, reminder pops up reminding me to cancel my hotel reservations at the location of the next game in the post season.

Another reminder pops up telling me that I need to make reservations in the appropriate city for the NEXT years college football playoffs.

Imagine if you will......a run of success so constant that I can LITERALLY make plans and reservations off of it? This won't last forever, and by god, it's clear that many of us take it for granted and are really starting to get skewed perspectives (11-1 seasons are enough for near riots.)

I keep going back to the Bama Notre Dame game and the tickets. We all remember how expensive those things were. Talking to my grandmother I explained how I couldn't justify the thousands of dollars for airfare, tickets, etc for a trip like that. She said, "Do this. Tomorrow everything could change. You may never be able to go to another game. Alabama could fall from where it's been, never to return in your lifetime. No matter how often it happens, how many titles they get, treat each like it's the last because you don't know what the future holds."

So here I am, tickets enroute for New Orleans, ready to break the bank on Atlanta, hopefully and gleefully. I hope each one of you are enjoying the games in your favorite way, be it live, on your favorite recliner, with family, friends, or maybe just an auburn or tennessee fan nearby so you can rub their faces in it.

I never knew that over ten years ago moving to some podunk town in southern Alabama would change my life. No, we won't always have Coach. We won't always have a top 3, 5, or one day even a top 20 recruiting class. And no, my sun neither rises nor sets on the backs of 18-22 year olds playing a game.

But my life is richer, my heart skips a beat, and a smile breaks out every time I hear those two little words.....

Roll Tide.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Every year there's the random thread like this one. It's a thread that references the heights of success obtained under Coach Bryant. Many of our older members and alumni can remember those times and speak of them fondly.

Then came the decade+ until Alabama would win a national championship. Flash forward to 15 years later with the arrival of Coach Saban, and we all know how that's gone.

I'm a "younger" fan, who grew up with VA tech in Virginia, and despite all Beamers attempts, Virginia's a basketball state. The military moved me to Bama around 2006 and like so many others I was asked a question...."who's your team?" Didn't matter what state I was from, I had a choice - Alabama, Auburn or tar and feathers. I chose Bama, and lucked out. I'm not a fair weather fan however. My wife (from Hawaii, another nonfootball state) and I have attended full seasons for years now, travelled to every opener and post season since 2011 (even when I'm not in country, she still goes.)

My wife was at auburn for the kick 6 (for her birthday) and has a hatred for that team that seems unnatural. She called me in tears at pout TOC in Afghanistan as I saw the events unfold about ten minutes later.

We were at ole miss in 2016 in the most miserably hot and humid game I've ever been to, when Bama finally put them back in their place.

I'm working on my masters through UA, not that it makes me a "better" fan, but because this program has given me some incredible moments that my wife and I cherish, and I want to be a part of the legacy that is Alabama.

I was in Manhattan, Kansas at our units cmas party in a room full of kstate alum the night that both they and Oregon lost, giving Bama the opportunity to play Notre Dame.

So the reason for this thread is due to the reminders that popped up on my phone a few minutes ago. See the attached image. Every year after the iron bowl and the SEC championship, and the new years 6 games, reminder pops up reminding me to cancel my hotel reservations at the location of the next game in the post season.

Another reminder pops up telling me that I need to make reservations in the appropriate city for the NEXT years college football playoffs.

Imagine if you will......a run of success so constant that I can LITERALLY make plans and reservations off of it? This won't last forever, and by god, it's clear that many of us take it for granted and are really starting to get skewed perspectives (11-1 seasons are enough for near riots.)

I keep going back to the Bama Notre Dame game and the tickets. We all remember how expensive those things were. Talking to my grandmother I explained how I couldn't justify the thousands of dollars for airfare, tickets, etc for a trip like that. She said, "Do this. Tomorrow everything could change. You may never be able to go to another game. Alabama could fall from where it's been, never to return in your lifetime. No matter how often it happens, how many titles they get, treat each like it's the last because you don't know what the future holds."

So here I am, tickets enroute for New Orleans, ready to break the bank on Atlanta, hopefully and gleefully. I hope each one of you are enjoying the games in your favorite way, be it live, on your favorite recliner, with family, friends, or maybe just an auburn or tennessee fan nearby so you can rub their faces in it.

I never knew that over ten years ago moving to some podunk town in southern Alabama would change my life. No, we won't always have Coach. We won't always have a top 3, 5, or one day even a top 20 recruiting class. And no, my sun neither rises nor sets on the backs of 18-22 year olds playing a game.

But my life is richer, my heart skips a beat, and a smile breaks out every time I hear those two little words.....

Roll Tide.

You are a great fan with an extremely wise grandmother.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Great post! Sometimes the Eeyores on here really get to me with their negativism. They apparently didn't live through the "errors" of D*Bo*e, Fr*nchi*ne, , Pr*ce, and a few other unmentionables.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Excellent points. It’s easy to for forget just how rough the rough years felt. Enjoy, and go to the games if you can!

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
This period has been more nationally dominant than any other in Bama's or IMO, college football's history. It will likely never be duplicated.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm soaking it up and enjoying it about as much I can. I lived through the lean years after Stallings. Wore my Bama "gear" loud and proud the entire time. During the run I've bought up and continue to buy a lot of shirts, caps and other memorabilia that once it's over. My boys, my girl and I will have, to remember this golden age of Bama football. Because that's all my kids know, is that Bama is supposed to win every game. One time when we were all watching a game my daughter (just as honest as she could say it) said "Daddy, that man talking on the tv sure does say 'TOUCHDOWN ALABAMA' a lot. Why doesn't he say that for the other team?" Bless her heart, from the mouths of babes. ROOOOOLL TIDE!!!!

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hoping to watching Alabama play for the CFP Championship in the ESPN Club outside or Epcot for the third year in a row!

Beat Clemson!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I am thoroughly enjoying this run. I was a student at Bama in the mid 70's. Myself and many people about my age took that time a little for granted. We had the Bear and we thought it would never end. I've talked to a lot of folks about my age... the theme is we are LOVING every minute of this Saban era.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Super post...I may not go to games anymore, but have been following the Tide for almost 50 years and this is a longer golden age than any of the others.

Have fun in NO -- my home town!!

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Some folks thrive on negativity. It's just the way they are wired for some reason. That same Eeyore right now will be one of the ones pining for the Saban glory years & trashing the future coach/team in the decades to come even though they complained all through the best ones too.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Great Post ... I also lived in the CPB era, suffered the dark ages (punctuated by '92) and have enjoyed every moment of the CNS era. Even the rare loss reminds me that you are not going to win them all ... It sure is nice to win most of them though and I am confident it will be a very long time before another coach eclipses what CNS is laying down before our eyes.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I will fully enjoy the amazing ride we're on that's simply known as "The Process"..Those two words has reshaped college football & restored The Crimson Tide atop the game as we should be..The best has yet to come as we continue rewritten the record book under Coach Saban..

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I see a few subjects comments about eeyores and must admit, I'm one. I routinely avoid the the game day that's except to well wish or show up with my .02¢ in the "good, bad, ugly" thread.

I personally have no problem with pessimism, but I try not to rain on anyone else's parade.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

My wife was at auburn for the kick 6 (for her birthday) and has a hatred for that team that seems unnatural. She called me in tears at pout TOC in Afghanistan as I saw the events unfold about ten minutes later.

Roll Tide.

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on tide fans in the year that I have been a member. Thanks!

We went to the Notre Dame game too. One of the best times I have had. I thought at the time it was worth spending all that money because it may not happen again. Little did I know it would happen many times. :) I am a perfectionist when it comes to many things, including Bama football. I also know we can't win it every year and we fans need to enjoy these blessed times. It won't last forever.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Great post. I know that many of the other fans think we take it all for granted. I am sure some do, but most don’t. You can just tell with the reaction of the Bama fans of getting into our 4th playoff. It felt like it was our first time ever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.