Update on UT Coaching Search

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Tennessee boards are saying Pruitt has been offered the contract and that They're hoping Lupoi comes to TN as DC under Pruitt. I find that hard to believe since Lupoi would be the next one to take over Defense for Alabama.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Pruitt would be crazy to take this job. This could ruin him.
It would be difficult for an assistant to turn it down. I'm surprised that UT would take such a chance. I do think Pruitt is smart and driven, but there are a lot of qualities, experiences and circumstances needed to be a successful HC. Hope it's not true. Can't believe Saban would let Lupoi go - he's probably the most important coach on the staff.

Last edited:

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
There is literally a new rumor every hour on the hour, and it's been like that since they fired Butch. Of course, they all come from very "reliable, stellar, indisputable" sources. And they're all dead wrong.
some of those rumors were from fat philbert on a revenge firing mission, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Tennessee boards are saying Pruitt has been offered the contract and that They're hoping Lupoi comes to TN as DC under Pruitt. I find that hard to believe since Lupoi would be the next one to take over Defense for Alabama.
I hope that’s not the case, but a bothersome thought is with that fatso hiring folks - how much of a distraction he could be with our staff...whether he has true intent to hire them or not

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
Someone mentioned in another thread that coaching is a pretty tight-knit circle, as in, everyone knows everyone else, pretty much. So in light of that, could it be that Fulmer's appointment to AD has actually hurt them? From an outsider's perspective, there seems to be a power struggle going on there. According to many on Vol Nation, it's Fulmer and Peyton Manning plus certain boosters vs. the Haslam brothers and certain other boosters/donors, all going at each other.

On top of that, basically everyone believes that Fulmer back-stabbed Johnny Majors to get his job as head coach years ago, and this time around he was supposedly calling coaches that John Currie had contacted, and telling them to stay away in order to sabotage Currie to get himself the AD job. I don't know about the last part, but a lot of people are saying it.

So in light of this, have coaches been warned to avoid the place like the plague? It wouldn't surprise me. The word could also be out that the head coach won't have nearly as much control as most of them like.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
I hope that’s not the case, but a bothersome thought is with that fatso hiring folks - how much of a distraction he could be with our staff...whether he has true intent to hire them or not

With him, I’m sure that’s intentional. Fulmer is dirty in all of the wrong ways. If he’s after Pruitt and Lupoi then it is an attempt to weaken Alabama as much as anything.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
How intent is Pruitt on being an HC now? I wouldn't work for fulmer or the dumpster fire they've created there now

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
How intent is Pruitt on being an HC now? I wouldn't work for fulmer or the dumpster fire they've created there now
I don't know who you are asking. Since I assume it's the board, I would guess very intent. I've read that and it's in keeping with his tremendous drive and self-confidence. Hopefully, one thing that might prevent it is that he will probably be extremely demanding about fully controlling the program, which will probably be met with resistance. Hopefully, he won't be foolish enough to think that he can get his way without it being agreed upon upfront. I know it is a dumpster fire, but if he can get firm agreement with his desire for control, it could be a great opportunity.

I'm surprised UT would take a chance on any assistant at this point in their history. Another failure would probably mean it will be another 10 years, for a total of 20, before they have a reasonable chance to escape the abyss. Tee Martin would probably assure this. Kevin Steele also, though he has fooled me thus far at AU. He is also highly organized.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't know who you are asking. Since I assume it's the board, I would guess very intent. I've read that and it's in keeping with his tremendous drive and self-confidence. Hopefully, one thing that might prevent it is that he will probably be extremely demanding about fully controlling the program, which will probably be met with resistance. Hopefully, he won't be foolish enough to think that he can get his way without it being agreed upon upfront. I know it is a dumpster fire, but if he can get firm agreement with his desire for control, it could be a great opportunity.

I'm surprised UT would take a chance on any assistant at this point in their history. Another failure would probably mean it will be another 10 years, for a total of 20, before they have a reasonable chance to escape the abyss. Tee Martin would probably assure this. Kevin Steele also, though he has fooled me thus far at AU. He is also highly organized.
I agree. Pruitt obviously wants a head coaching job, no one could blame him, but as long as Fulmer has any control in the athletic department he might be advised to pass on this. There will be other opportunities to come his way.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The only way UT crawls out of this mess within 5 yrs would be a Saban level coach with total control of program, meaning no interference from AD boosters or board. That is not likely to happen with Fulmer and that group of know it alls. First there are no Saban level coaches, second UT folks just cannot keep their mitts off the football program. I doubt they make any real progress on improvement no matter who they hire to be the lackey. That is all a UT HC is at this point.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I hope Pruitt stays at Bama for at least another year. He needs to stay through the playoffs if he does get the job. It seems each year we make it to the playoffs, we have distractions with coaches. Hopefully Kevin Steele will get the job so Pruitt can stay at Bama, and Auburn can maybe regress in their defense next year :)

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I hope Pruitt stays at Bama for at least another year. He needs to stay through the playoffs if he does get the job. It seems each year we make it to the playoffs, we have distractions with coaches. Hopefully Kevin Steele will get the job so Pruitt can stay at Bama, and Auburn can maybe regress in their defense next year :)
This is my hope as well. These people are telling me some stuff that doesn't sound so good for our playoff run, but it could just be internet rumors from a desperate group of fans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.