Link: FSU's Derwin James to enter NFL draft and will not play in bowl game.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I would like to see the school make them sign a commitment that if they leave early for the NFL or sit out a bowl game. Then they are responsible to pay the university back for the cost of their entire scholarship.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I would like to see the school make them sign a commitment that if they leave early for the NFL or sit out a bowl game. Then they are responsible to pay the university back for the cost of their entire scholarship.
This is absurd...if you are a business major on full academic scholarship and Apple/MS offers you 2-3 million a year to leave school and work for them -- you are gone. (Bill Gates left Harvard early.) Even Herm Edwards said that when it comes down to meaningless bowl games, he has no problem with a player sitting out. When you are talking about 1 game vis a vis setting yourself up for a lifetime -- it's a no brainer.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is a terrible idea and would completely wreck any idea that college football cares about their athletes.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This is absurd...if you are a business major on full academic scholarship and Apple/MS offers you 2-3 million a year to leave school and work for them -- you are gone. (Bill Gates left Harvard early.) Even Herm Edwards said that when it comes down to meaningless bowl games, he has no problem with a player sitting out. When you are talking about 1 game vis a vis setting yourself up for a lifetime -- it's a no brainer.
And I think Bill Gates should pay Harvard back ;)

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
And I think Bill Gates should pay Harvard back ;)
Well he gave them $15 million in 1996 for computer science and engineering programs. I imagine that bit has gone up more now :) Of course, he had already given to the University of Washington and Stanford by then as well, and that was over 20 years ago.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is about money. It has nothing to do with his toughness. It has nothing to do with being a good teammate either. It's money. This guy has a chance to have a multi-million dollar NFL contract, something very few of his teammates have. This is an exhibition game that means nothing in the grand scheme. The Weedeater Bowl.

Fortunately for him, he's made it thus far healthy. It makes zero sense on any level for him to play in this game, and I don't blame him a bit. And I wasn't planning to watch the game anyway, and I'll bet most non-FSU fans (and fans of whoever they are playing) won't watch either.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
By the way, probably every single NFL scout, coach, player personnel director, etc., would advise him to sit out this game and would not question his toughness on the basis of sitting out this one game. If they did, they probably work for the Browns.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.