California fires...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
SIL is in Ventura, fortunately on the west side, only about five blocks from the Pacific. The evacuations stopped about a block short of her home. Just a small penalty for living in paradise...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Another bad scene in Cali. I hate it for them. Keeping your SIL and neighbors in our thoughts and prayers.
I do. The smoke scene in her neighborhood is pretty bad. She can't get out to buy additional batteries and power has been hit or miss, depending on where the fires have taken down the lines. OTOH, she's done a lot of crowing about life in paradise - perfect weather, year round, etc., except for droughts, floods, landslides, earthquakes, fires, etc...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
A coworker's daughter messaged her this morning she could see the fire and then....nothing...couldn't reach her daughter, SIL, or anyone that way for several hours. Finally, they made contact and she's safe. Mom (coworker) was pretty upset by the ordeal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A coworker's daughter messaged her this morning she could see the fire and then....nothing...couldn't reach her daughter, SIL, or anyone that way for several hours. Finally, they made contact and she's safe. Mom (coworker) was pretty upset by the ordeal.
Annette says the main problem is the smoke in the house for her...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
This time of the year is normally the start of the rain season in California, but the long-term forecast looks like no rain through 12/20. My wife and I will be flying out to LA for the holidays, and potentially driving through the 405 to get home. Hopefully some rain will show up, or the winds at least die down to let the firefighters do their thing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The power was out there for some time, apparently. I imagine the cell towers, if functional, were pretty busy as well.
It was. She mentioned that also. She's now scared and she's now trying to get out but the earliest flight she could get was tomorrow. She's afraid the freeways may not be open to get to the airport. They have put on a curfew and they are having to boil water...

Edit: She said this morning that a new fire had broken out to the north of her (Ventura). The Santa Ana winds are still howling at 80mph...

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

California governor blames devastating wildfires on climate change and says deadly winter infernos will be 'the new normal'

California's governor has said that deadly wildfires in the winter will be 'the new normal', as fire crews rushed to contain the fires, with dry desert winds expected to intensify over the weekend.

Governor Jerry Brown on Saturday toured Ventura County neighborhoods ravaged by a weeklong wildfire that killed at least one person and destroyed hundreds of homes and other buildings.
At a news conference, the Democrat said drought and climate change mean California faces a 'new reality' where lives and property are continually threatened by fire, at a cost of billions of dollars.

This map shows the areas of active wildfires northwest of Los Angeles as of Saturday morning. Fire crews are bracing for high winds over the weekend, with forecasts calling for gusts up to 40mph Saturday and up to 50mph Sunday

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.