Game Thread: Rhode Island @ Alabama

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
All of the freshman have turned the ball over way too much. Our best ball handler right now is Dazon Ingram, followed by AJ Jr. We definitely need to take better care of the ball. The turnovers are due, in large part, to this team being so young and not having played together long. Once they learn their spots on the floor, we'll be better. We out rebounded a smaller team last night, but we need to at least break even with the teams in the SEC. The defense is getting better, but still needs work. Neither of the last 2 games were teams who wanted to run so the scores in the 60's have been a little misleading.

Too many people are assuming we are a lock for the big dance right now, and we are not close to it. We need to finish in the top 5 in the SEC to get in which is not a given. The game Saturday will be a good measuring stick to tell us where we are against a team with elite talent.
Our best ball handler is Sexton by a lot... Ingram is a turnover machine especially with the unforced turnovers... that was one of our biggest weaknesses last year and still is this year.. if Sexton isn't bringing the ball up court I don't feel comfortable at all

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I've only seen last night but it's hard to disagree. I hope that some of it will be automatic self-teaching - "Oops, that didn't work, was downright embarrassing." I hope the rest of the teaching can be done by CAJ. They need to play within themselves and stop the out of control high school hot-dogging. OTOH, RI was doing some of the same. Wimp cracked me up when he commented about the RI PG driving to the basket only to get there and having "to shoot over the Empire State Building." :D This team is sort of the anti-Wimp team...
I only got to see the last 10 minutes or so of the game. When Petty took the below the belt hit, he kept bending over to try and make it less obvious where he got hit. Eli started talking about his ankle. I got a chuckle when Wimp replied, "I believe that one was a little above the ankle."

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I believe they will be fine, the good thing is a lot of their issues are fixable ones. One things for sure, I believe EVERY team in America could benefit from listening to Coach Wimp impart some of his wisdom. He was pretty good last night.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We are "young and dumb" at this point in the season. Playing the schedule we have played so far and playing at AZ is going to help this team mature and get them ready for conference and tournament play. We will be inconsistent at times but will get better after every game.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I believe they will be fine, the good thing is a lot of their issues are fixable ones. One things for sure, I believe EVERY team in America could benefit from listening to Coach Wimp impart some of his wisdom. He was pretty good last night.
I could sit and listen to him tell stories for hours. I was listening to sports radio in B'ham when Sprewell choked PJ Carlesimo and they ask Coach about what he would have done. I remember he said something like, "Well, you wouldn't be talking about Wimp Sanderson getting choked, you would be talking about the fight at practice the day before." lol

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
I’m going to the game in Tucson Saturday night. I’m anxious to see them. I hope they improve turnovers and FTs, otherwise it may a long night. Either way, I’ll be there until the end cheering for CAJ and his team. I don’t get to see my Crimson Tide, in person, very often so I will enjoy every minute. Roll Tide!
I have a good feeling about this game.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The RI game was the first time I've seen Petty go inside more and attack the basket. I was losing confidence in him and the hype when he pretty much only took 3 point shots or maybe a fast break layup.

Once early in the game, he did not recognize the lane was wide open when Ingram fed a pass between Petty and the goal so Petty could have (should have) run to the ball and taken it all the way in. Later, Petty made some good plays inside. Hope this is a good sign. A shooter who can take the ball inside as well is super tough to defend.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.