Tennessee has officially offered Pruitt (Update: Hired, Will Coach in CFP)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
"Nah, I'll stay here as a subordinate instead of making a name for myself at a historically prestigious university while tripling my income.

What? I don't get that reference to Caesar...............care to explain it to me?"

Oh, ok.............now I get it."
FIFY.

Just hope he really doesn't get it.

What is the over/under on Phatimus Philibus doing just that? I would say it opens at 2.5 years. Maybe 3.

Depends on when he thinks it is time for Tee Martin to ride to the rescue.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I've waited 2 days to even comment on this trying to prevent the 'fanatic' in fan from coming out in me...

But I just don't get this at all from Pruitt's position????????

Program allegiances aside Tennessee is an absolute garbage dump sized dumpster fire. They have humiliated themselves for weeks damaging what remnants of prestige they barely still posses after being in disarray for a decade++...

Then they get Fat Phil's donut sticky fingers all mixed up in their business again to the point that he will surely be more of a meddling nuisance than CSS standing over people's shoulders at UF right now....

They don't have any recruiting strongholds regionally and they sure as heck are not a 'National' brand anymore. UGA and FLA are about to leave them in the dust for a long while just within their own division.

It just seems like the kind of place that would absolutely kill a 1st time HC's career before it could even get started. They will have unreasonable expectations and fire him in less than 4-5 seasons. There is just no way he can turn them around fast enough in today's 'We want INSTANT success' environment. He will be setup to fail.

Now all THAT aside let me put my Fan hat back on...... How in the HELL does a guy who grew up in Alabama, played and graduated from Alabama under Gene Stallings, and coached at Alabama.....go and take a job from TENNESSEE right in the MIDDLE of a NC/CFP run???

I mean I guess I know the default answer is going to be....'$$$$$'.....but it's TENNESEEE!!!!! The team that tried to put us 'Out of Business'!!!

How does he not HATE them as much as the rest of us???? They are our #1 RIVAL and absolute #1 ENEMY. They tried to DESTROY our program!!! They literally tried to get us hammered with the death penalty.

I'm sorry.....I'm just not cool with this AT ALL. I'd rather he just pack up his butt RIGHT NOW and go and NEVER come back here. He's going to be beyond distracted trying to serve two masters anyway..... and I don't trust Fat Phil AT ALL. If he can try and sabotage us he will do it. Believe that.

I mean this is freaking insane???!!! I know I can't be the only one who HATES them with the burning passion of 1 billion suns and CLEARLY remember EVERYTHING that went down from Memphis including the fallout and subsequent seasons of misery starting with 2002 with Fran bolting because of sanctions coming down all the way through the embarrassing Mike Price/Destiny hire and and Mike Shula 'Deer in the Headlights' era of 2003-2006.

What a traitorous piece of work man. I don't care how much money they offered. I know that's easy to say but if he would have been patient something else better would have eventually become available.

Honest to goodness I swear there is NO amount of money on EARTH that could make me work for that University in ANY capacity.

Just an unbelievable piece of dirty business by them AND Pruitt.
Believe me I understand how you feel about UT and Fulmer. He not only tried to destroy Bama's current program, but her future and past as well, making unknowable charges about the distant past, trying to smear Bama's history. All in league with Kramer and covering his own corruption.

But understandably sentiment usually means little to coaches when it comes to their career, i.e., how they make a living, how they satisfy their drive for greatness, it's their work environment, etc., all that is associated with one's working life. Keep in mind Saban encouraged him to look at other options, including UT. Smart seriously considered Auburn. With Saban in particular, he says, "it's never personal". That's why when Kirby left and lured Tucker away, Mo Smith, Fromm, et al., tried to take more and almost took Scott Cochran; Saban never blinked an eye as far as I know. They were now opponents professionally, but are probably still friends personally. When Pruitt left for FSU he said several disrespectful things and flipped Demarcus Walker a big time recruit, but Saban didn't hesitate to rehire him like he did Lance Thompson 3 times. I'm sure there is a line somewhere but it's far away from rejecting a UT offer. It doesn't mean they are necessarily cold blooded, people do want to go home, etc., but the career usually trumps all.

UT with all of its problems is one great hire away from success. They do need to address their booster wars and Fulmer's suspected desire to interfere, but if there is one coach who can overcome that, it is Jeremy Pruitt. Whether he becomes a great HC remains to be seen, but he will not allow outside interference with his program. He probably got the proper assurances that he will run the program his way with absolutely NO interference. It's already clear that he can hire his own staff. He has the guts, will power and confidence to tell even the University Pres to hit the road if he violates his space. If JP is the real deal, even if the record is bad at first, people, fans will be able to tell a difference. It doesn't take much with the right guy. Even when UT seemed to be making progress with Jones, it was clear to many that he was not a top coach, that he was in over his head. Pruitt has been a great recruiter, position coach and DC, he has seen how to organize from the best, he is smart and fully confident and driven like a madman. He has a legitimate chance.

My instinct would be to set him free because of the focus issues, but CNS wants him to stay. So, there must be a good reason for it. Lupoi has never called plays as far as I know, do we want him doing that for the first time in the playoffs ? But fans have to trust Saban on this.

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I understand that JP "had" to go for the $$$. I would hope that he would understand that I have to wish that he loses every game. Nothing personal.

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
I really hope CJP does great, except against us of course. That way when CNS hangs it up, there will be two successful head coaches and sons of Alabama that mama can call to come home!

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
So he should turn down more money and a job with more prestige?
"Nah, I'll stay here as a subordinate instead of making a name for myself at a historically prestigious university while tripling my income..."
blah blah blah....
Exactly! CA gets it. :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.