Tennessee has officially offered Pruitt (Update: Hired, Will Coach in CFP)

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Re: Tennessee has officially offered Pruitt

If he did take the job, I would rather he just go ahead and leave. There is just no way to do both jobs 100%. I guarantee Phat Phil will be riding his back about recruiting and hiring coaches and everything else. He already said they want the coach to start immediately.
I don't trust UT to stay out of the way and let him spend enough time at Alabama.

Working at one school and recruiting for another just doesn't work with me.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Kirby's defense was excellent against Michigan State in the semi-final game but gave up 40 points to Clemson. I don't know if that was due to UGA distractions or simply too much Deshaun Watson.
Remember, Kirby almost immediately set about going after Alabama guys, including current Alabama players who weren't even supposed to be able to transfer. So, in hindsight it is easy to argue he wasn't focused. It is a bad situation because you can't know for certain the guy is focused and doing his job until after the fact. In the case of Kiffin it was too late because there was one week to make a change. In the case of Kirby, what ever issues might have been laid at his feet for the Clemson game, you darn sure couldn't yank him mid-game. So... in the least Alabama has gone 50/50 with this wrecking things the last two times, but it's basically a bad or worse situation.

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA

If he did take the job, I would rather he just go ahead and leave. There is just no way to do both jobs 100%. I guarantee Phat Phil will be riding his back about recruiting and hiring coaches and everything else. He already said they want the coach to start immediately.
I don't trust UT to stay out of the way and let him spend enough time at Alabama.

Working at one school and recruiting for another just doesn't work with me.
I agree. It's like he'll be trying to serve two masters.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Remember, Kirby almost immediately set about going after Alabama guys, including current Alabama players who weren't even supposed to be able to transfer. So, in hindsight it is easy to argue he wasn't focused. It is a bad situation because you can't know for certain the guy is focused and doing his job until after the fact. In the case of Kiffin it was too late because there was one week to make a change. In the case of Kirby, what ever issues might have been laid at his feet for the Clemson game, you darn sure couldn't yank him mid-game. So... in the least Alabama has gone 50/50 with this wrecking things the last two times, but it's basically a bad or worse situation.
Well, this is the third year in a row Coach Saban has faced this problem. Like you say, he did get burned in Kiffin's case but if he doesn't send Pruitt packing I must assume that Saban decided that keeping him aboard is the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

I'm all for him leaving immediately. It would be nice if we could get through the playoffs with him, but this distraction is getting old.

I think it's been a negative all three years. We gave up like 80 points in the win with Kirby. The Kiffin situation was pathetic. This one we should move on too.

Plus, the only reason he'd want to stay would be to promote himself and Tennessee.

I can't blame him for leaving, but we're in a position to be able to move forward with a little winter camp without him.

It would be nice to have a postseason where these coaching moves couldn't distract from the ALL IMPORTANT PLAYOFFS, and these coaching changes happen afterwards. I guess I can't foresee that situation happening.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Tennessee has officially offered Pruitt

Fulmer screws Bama again!

Sorry JP but, unfortunately I can’t wish you “good luck”. You are the enemy now and I still hope UcheaT loses every game.

Really wish schools would put in coach’s contracts that they have to pay the school a buyout if they leave before the season is over, including the playoffs.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

You certainly cannot blame someone for taking a 5 million a year job. Tennessee is a fine job, with a schedule that should always mean at least 8 wins.
I'm sure Coach Saban is considering how to handle this situation ..... since this is the fourth time for it to happen. McElwain and Smart worked out well. Kiffin... not so great. I feel like Saban would like to keep him through the playoffs if he thinks Pruitt's mind will be in the right place.I have no idea how this will be resolved... but I think it will be resolved quickly.
I just hope Lupoi is ready .
I don’t see 8 wins next year.

TENNESSEE 2018 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
DateOpponent Location
Sept. 1vs. West Virginia Charlotte, N.C.
Sept. 8ETSUKnoxville, Tenn.
Sept. 15UTEPKnoxville, Tenn.
Sept. 22Florida *Knoxville, Tenn.
Sept. 29at Georgia *Athens, Ga.
Oct. 13at Auburn *Auburn, Ala.
Oct. 20Alabama *Knoxville, Tenn.
Oct. 27at South Carolina *Columbia, S.C.
Nov. 3CharlotteKnoxville, Tenn.
Nov. 10Kentucky *Knoxville, Tenn.
Nov. 17Missouri *Knoxville, Tenn.
Nov. 24at Vanderbilt *Nashville, Tenn.
* SEC Game BOLD = Home Game

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

So Phat Phil is gone for nine years and after seeing his actual village of Rocky Top leveledby a Crimson tsunami right down to the orange on the top of Howard Johnson’s outhouse, his immediate thought is, “Let me get even with those rednecks by keeping them from winning yet another title. I’ll hire their DC and screw this all up.”

I mean, we were told Jon Gruden for months by orange paint inhaling, mouth breathing, single toothed idiots and after everyone including the corpse of Bob Neyland turns them down and the AD gets canned, the first move by the new AD is to hire a coordinator with ZERO head coaching experience....I mean, you’re telling me Paula Deen couldn’t have made that move??? And it just happens to be with the school he picked a fight with two decades ago right as their closing in on the greatest reign since the Roman Empire.....

He went from big name hire to this and it also just happens to be a way to get back at the school at root of the man’s eternal psychological insecurity?????

I’m getting tired of this crap and I’d trust Jerry Sandusky in the shower at the YMCA before I’d trust Phil Fulmer.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

If Pruitt takes this job his career takes a huge huge hit. Fulmer will toss him under the bus first chance. I like Pruitt but now you are orange and on the hate list , sorry. UT will now have a Bama coordinator, oh well Nick Processes them all the time. Nothing at Bama will change. I do hate another playoff messed with by coaches leaving, but that is what happens when you have the best. Folks want to hire them.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

(Gr)Easy: Phatbrick phancies himself as an equal-opportunity destroyer. And Pruitt needn't let the door hit him in the moneybags on the way out.

So Phat Phil is gone for nine years and after seeing his actual village of Rocky Top leveledby a Crimson tsunami right down to the orange on the top of Howard Johnson’s outhouse, his immediate thought is, “Let me get even with those rednecks by keeping them from winning yet another title. I’ll hire their DC and screw this all up.”

I mean, we were told Jon Gruden for months by orange paint inhaling, mouth breathing, single toothed idiots and after everyone including the corpse of Bob Neyland turns them down and the AD gets canned, the first move by the new AD is to hire a coordinator with ZERO head coaching experience....I mean, you’re telling me Paula Deen couldn’t have made that move??? And it just happens to be with the school he picked a fight with two decades ago right as their closing in on the greatest reign since the Roman Empire.....

He went from big name hire to this and it also just happens to be a way to get back at the school at root of the man’s eternal psychological insecurity?????

I’m getting tired of this crap and I’d trust Jerry Sandusky in the shower at the YMCA before I’d trust Phil Fulmer.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Re: Tennessee is officially offered Pruitt

Some TN peeps tend to believe Tosh Lupoi will go with him ... surely not!!! I have to believe SAban will promote him to DC ... and a much better deal to be DC at Alabama vs that dumpster fire in Knoxvegas
That was what they were excited about yesterday. I just couldn’t believe that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Re: Tennessee is officially offered Pruitt

It would very hard to pass up an opportunity like that. Y'all can run your mouths/fingers all you want about how he shouldn't go, but it is a D-1 head coaching job in the SEC. And, given their search and current state of the program, I think he'll get much more support, and less interference, than you're thinking. They want to win . . . bad. And, if true, they've hired a winner.
He's already a wealthy dude, and I'll bet UT will pay him at least three million per year and probably more. I am curious to see how he runs his program, what type of offense he favors to go with his style of defense. I also wish he weren't leaving at all and definitely wish he weren't going to UT, but I will wish him well against most teams. I do hope he stays through the playoffs if he is focused on our team first and foremost. If not, he can go ahead and leave so we have time to make any necessary adjustments.

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Tennessee has officially offered Pruitt

I don’t care who it is or what connection they have or had to Alabama - if they are coaching at UT I hope they lose every time they step onto the field. I am also sure he will never know or care.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I don’t care who it is or what connection they have or had to Alabama - if they are coaching at UT I hope they lose every time they step onto the field. I am also sure he will never know or care.

After what those sons of unwed mothers, led by Phatimus the snake, tried to do the university and football program that I`ve followed, attended, and graduated from over the last 59 years, I`m right there with you Snuffy. Some of you younger posters have no idea.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Can't say that I wish him well there - hope he never wins a game at TN. I just hope that it doesn't hurt Alabama's preparation for Clemson.

On the other hand, your blitzes have been entirely too predictable lately, so maybe a different look would be good going into the playoffs.

Snake 4 Bama

Scout Team
Jan 1, 2013

I believe these SEC schools have figured out how to hurt us in the playoffs. Fire their coach and go after our offensive or defensive coaches. That distracts our players and hurts recruiting. I hate UT even more with PHAT PHIL back but he is trying to damage our chances in the playoffs by getting JP.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

I'm aware CNS knows best, but I just don't see how you can expect Pruitt to give you 100% the next three weeks. I would imagine that Saban has a plan for this contingency already in place, it maybe letting Pruitt go or shifting most of Pruitt's responsibilities to another coach. Either way, Saban will not allow this to damage our efforts to reach our goals.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

At 4.3 mil a year for 6 years, can't blame him. I hate that I now have to hate him just like I now hate Kirby. Hope georgia, api, and ute lose every game. Hope Tosh is our new DC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.