Remembering Pearl Harbor

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
All true. They actually bend over backwards. My own SIL is a prime example, however, he did lose family members to the Nazis...
I honestly have no frame of reference for how the Japanese have accepted the sins of their fathers. The Japanese did name their "helicopter destroyer" the Kaga, the same name as one of the IJN carriers that attacked Pearl Harbor.

Kaga is the name of a province in Japan, but I'm not sure what to make of that.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I honestly have no frame of reference for how the Japanese have accepted the sins of their fathers. The Japanese did name their "helicopter destroyer" the Kaga, the same name as one of the IJN carriers that attacked Pearl Harbor.

Kaga is the name of a province in Japan, but I'm not sure what to make of that.
I do, but it mostly comes from other Asians. I think it's pretty well recognized that they more or less just slough over WWII in their schools. The few times, I've tried to broach the subject with Japanese who were actually alive (not really recent because there're just not many around), I got the embarrassment reaction - hand in front of mouth and general statements about it's being a "terrible time," etc...

• Thank You

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I do, but it mostly comes from other Asians. I think it's pretty well recognized that they more or less just slough over WWII in their schools. The few times, I've tried to broach the subject with Japanese who were actually alive (not really recent because there're just not many around), I got the embarrassment reaction - hand in front of mouth and general statements about it's being a "terrible time," etc...
I wonder what percentage of Japanese citizens know about Unit 731, the Rape of Nanking, but all should know about it, if for no other reason than to prevent it from happening again.

• Thank You

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My brother's BIL was a Japanese POW during WWII, captured in the Philippines and survived the Bataan death march. I got a detailed account of POW life from him. It was basically a form of the worst sort of slavery, where the masters regard their slaves very much as subhuman. There were simply no rules. There was death handed out on whim, rampant sexual abuse, you name it. It's affected my attitude towards them ever since - just not enough to prevent my purchasing their automotive products... :blush:

• Thank You

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My brother's BIL was a Japanese POW during WWII, captured in the Philippines and survived the Bataan death march. I got a detailed account of POW life from him. It was basically a form of the worst sort of slavery, where the masters regard their slaves very much as subhuman. There were simply no rules. There was death handed out on whim, rampant sexual abuse, you name it. It's affected my attitude towards them ever since - just not enough to prevent my purchasing their automotive products... :blush:
my best friend's dad was a south pacific theater vet (marine). he told me that outside of acknowledging he was in the war, he never talked about it with them. i can only imagine how horrible that was.

• Thank You

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Had a friend in high school whose father lost hearing in one ear due to a rifle butt in the ear while on the Bataan death march. He was a big dude too.

Guilty on the automotive products as well. Blame Deming for that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
my best friend's dad was a south pacific theater vet (marine). he told me that outside of acknowledging he was in the war, he never talked about it with them. i can only imagine how horrible that was.
Few people understand how truly different the Japanese are and it's a matter of culture, centuries of it...

• Thank You

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Few people understand how truly different the Japanese are and it's a matter of culture, centuries of it...
Lived there for almost 5 years and had about 10 Japanese civilians working along side as interpreters. The word "inscrutable" comes to mind.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
My father was walking across the bridge at Decatur Al when the attack took place. Not long after he was part of the D-Day invasion. My father was in the 9th Division 42nd Inf. and fought the Battle of the Bulge. This is after the war and just before his return home. He very rarely talked about the war except during December and always on the 7th.

[/url]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/IMG]

• Thank You

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My father was walking across the bridge at Decatur Al when the attack took place. Not long after he was part of the D-Day invasion. My father was in the 9th Division 42nd Inf. and fought the Battle of the Bulge. This is after the war and just before his return home. He very rarely talked about the war except during December and always on the 7th.

[/URL]via Imgflip Meme Generator[/IMG]
I had a next door neighbor for almost ten years who served first in the Wehrmacht and then later was picked out of the troops and sent to Peenemünde, after they found out he had a PHD in physics. He never heard of the "Battle of the Bulge." I finally found out the German name for it was "Wacht am Rhein." - "Oh"...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My father was in the Pacific theater with the 82nd Seabees. His first stop was Guadalcanal. His battalion island hopped building air strips for the Army bombers. He said they use to throw coconuts at the Japanese POWs to kill some time. He would never buy any car made by a Japanese automaker.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Tweet from the French ambassador to the United States. :rolleyes:

Wow. That is quite undiplomatic.
France refused to back up the Soviets when they begged France to help the Soviets guarantee Czechoslovakian independence in 1938.
The Wehrmacht had only 42 divisions, of which 37 were along the German-Czechoslovak border, and only 5 divisions were lined up against France. France had 91 divisions. If France had simply said, firmly and unmistakably "Yes" to the Soviets, and "No" to Hitler, Czechoslovakia would have been spared and war averted.
But France wimped out, Monsieur L'Ambassadeur. Big time.
Stalin interpreted that to mean that the West was weak and unreliable, so he carved out his own deal with Hitler. Weakness breeds more weakness, Monsieur L'Ambassadeur. Courage breeds more courage.

• Thank You

tidegrandpa

All-American
My father was in the Pacific theater with the 82nd Seabees. His first stop was Guadalcanal. His battalion island hopped building air strips for the Army bombers. He said they use to throw coconuts at the Japanese POWs to kill some time. He would never buy any car made by a Japanese automaker.
My Uncle (mother's brother) was also a SeeBee, helped build air base at Saipan and others, he showed me how slitting the kidney was silent way of neutralizing a Japanese guard.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
France refused to back up the Soviets when they begged France to help the Soviets guarantee Czechoslovakian independence in 1938.
The Wehrmacht had only 42 divisions, of which 37 were along the German-Czechoslovak border, and only 5 divisions were lined up against France. France had 91 divisions. If France had simply said, firmly and unmistakably "Yes" to the Soviets, and "No" to Hitler, Czechoslovakia would have been spared and war averted.
Stalin interpreted that to mean that the West was weak and unreliable, so he carved out his own deal with Hitler. Weakness breeds more weakness, Monsieur L'Ambassadeur. Courage breeds more courage.
Typically French, he quickly retreated saying, "We are immensely grateful for what the US did for France in 1944 but it is a fact that US, France and UK committed mistakes in the 30s". Again I'm :rolleyes:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The ambassador is not the first Frenchman who's weak on history. When my wife was an exchange student in France, she met a gentleman at a garden party in Paris who maintained that the Allies had heavily bombed Paris with the intent of crippling it and France in the post-war period. Certainly sounds like a fringe belief, no? His name was Lionel Jospin and he went on to become a Prime Minister of France...

• Thank You

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.