Remembering Pearl Harbor

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is amazing to me that Imperial Japanese Navy planners believed that, even if they had gotten a couple of carriers on December 7, that the US would take the sucker punch and throw in the towel.
The US produced over 100 aircraft carriers over the course of that war. There was just no way the Japanese were going to outproduce the US and thus win that war.
That attack was both wrong and stupid.

Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is amazing to me that Imperial Japanese Navy planners believed that, even if they had gotten a couple of carriers on December 7, that the US would take the sucker punch and throw in the towel.
The US produced over 100 aircraft carriers over the course of that war. There was just no way the Japanese were going to outproduce the US and thus win that war.
That attack was both wrong and stupid.
I've known other Asians who fear that it could happen again because Japanese kids are not taught what their leaders did during WWII. The contrast with the way the Germans have handled it couldn't be greater...

• Thank You

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I've known other Asians who fear that it could happen again because Japanese kids are not taught what their leaders did during WWII. The contrast with the way the Germans have handled it couldn't be greater...
How exactly is WWII handled in German Schools?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
My grandmother was born and raised on Oahu and was walking to Sunday School near Hickam Field when the Japanese started bombing. She said that within a few days, it was being reported on Hawaiian radio that the Japanese were island-hopping across the Hawaiian Islands before launching a strike for California.

• Thank You

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
How exactly is WWII handled in German Schools?
When they discuss WW II, German students don their hair shirts. Most German civilians believe in Europe, a peaceful cooperative Europe and strongly disapprove of just about everything Germany did 1936-1945, if they think about them at all.
Even German Bundeswehr officers I speak with are extremely reluctant to even discuss Wehrmacht operations in World War II, for fear of being accused of "glorification."
My view is, there were some really crappy things the Wehrmacht did (complicity with the Holocaust being most prominent among them but there were others). But, divorced from the politics, they also achieved nearly miraculous things. The seizure of Fort Eben Emael in 1940 in Belgium by German paratroops was a spectacular piece of soldiering. Knocking the French out of the war in six weeks was a great achievement. Rommel's operations in North Africa (probably the most sterile environment in WW II) were remarkable. Germans are not allowed to even consider those.

• Thank You

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My grandfather was there when it happened. He always said it was the most scared he had ever been. Especially when he ended up in the water just treading and then swimming for his life. He had just came of night duty. Incidentally the guy he told him it was the Japanese bombing them, did not make it. Also my grandmother was supposed to move out to Oahu to be near him and was excited about spending Christmas in Hawaii. She was all packed and ready to go and then that awful day happened. My grandfather and my grandmother never went back after the war was over. He always said it was too depressing. I went this past October. I said a little prayer as we drove passed the Oklahoma (my grandfather’s ship). Currently the Oklahoma is not open to the public and you cannot take pictures either.

It is crazy that after 76 years, the Arizona is still leaking oil. Hickam Field still has the bullet holes from that day.

Bazza the sunken ship is not the Arizona. It is actually another ship somewhere off the coast of Maui. It has nothing to do with Pearl Harbor.

Last edited:
  • Thank You

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
We went to Pearl Harbor and it is very moving. The most sobering memorial is the Oklahoma and the stark white obelisks for each sailor that was killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When they discuss WW II, German students don their hair shirts. Most German civilians believe in Europe, a peaceful cooperative Europe and strongly disapprove of just about everything Germany did 1936-1945, if they think about them at all.
Even German Bundeswehr officers I speak with are extremely reluctant to even discuss Wehrmacht operations in World War II, for fear of being accused of "glorification."
My view is, there were some really crappy things the Wehrmacht did (complicity with the Holocaust being most prominent among them but there were others). But, divorced from the politics, they also achieved nearly miraculous things. The seizure of Fort Eben Emael in 1940 in Belgium by German paratroops was a spectacular piece of soldiering. Knocking the French out of the war in six weeks was a great achievement. Rommel's operations in North Africa (probably the most sterile environment in WW II) were remarkable. Germans are not allowed to even consider those.
All true. They actually bend over backwards. My own SIL is a prime example, however, he did lose family members to the Nazis...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.