Alabama DC Search (2017)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
does he have a history of being difficult?
all i know is that he has coached some really good defensive units over the years and you are correct that he's done very well against the up tempo/spread schemes.
Aside from his issues with LSU, Chavis has an abrasive personality and is almost a liability in recruiting. There is no way that Saban would allow his DC to be as hands-off as Chavis is in recruiting.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
It's Saban's defense and the new DC will have to understand that. The other big requirement is that he must be a great recruiter.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
LMAO at the mention of chavis coming to BAMA

1. past his prime
2. can't stop the run
3. doesn't like to recruit
4. makes adjustments too late in games if at all
5. 3rd and chavis

Just five off the top of the ol' noggin...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
have you seen the way TAMU played last year and this year?
Significantly less talent than he had at LSU, or would have at Alabama.

ETA - Chavis didn't forget how to coach - he just isn't what Saban is looking for.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Chavis is washed up and should've retired after the last few years at LSU to be honest. I'd rather see Tupoi promoted or somebody promising on Smart's staff.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Sources told ESPN that Pruitt plans to stay on as Alabama's defensive coordinator through the College Football Playoff, while pulling double duty as the Vols' head coach and spearheading their recruiting efforts and putting together his staff at Tennessee.
i don't see how anyone could possibly do all these things effectively.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Chavis is washed up and should've retired after the last few years at LSU to be honest. I'd rather see Tupoi promoted or somebody promising on Smart's staff.
i was simply asking, idk much about him other than what i've seen on the field in the past.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Cut him loose... Alabama is in for a massive battle on January 1st and we should have all hands on deck not one foot out the door.
We got someone who can replace him in the mean-time? What if he intends to take a position coach with him and skips town and now we have two vacancies?

We're just gonna have to make do with what we've got. He's not a drunkard party boy, so he ought to be able to find time to split up his work and personal responsibilities.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It really depends on how last year's conversation went. He could have taken a DC job last tear but Saban convinced him to stay. The pay raise was probably to bridge the lost salary in his decision to stay with Alabama. But what was said about his future as a DC for Saban? We have no way of knowing the answer.

Bringing in Steele or Tucker makes sense, but I would choose Tosh over the other candidates being discussed.
Has there been mention of this as an option? It'd be pretty much a lateral move (at least financially) for Steele or Tucker to leave their current school as DC to come to Bama. I'm sure AU or UGA would match our offer..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I don’t think it is possible to do both. The early signing period is less than 2 weeks away. We should just cut our losses and move on. Lupoi can handle the DC duties for the playoffs and if he does a good job, promote the man.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Has there been mention of this as an option? It'd be pretty much a lateral move (at least financially) for Steele or Tucker to leave their current school as DC to come to Bama. I'm sure AU or UGA would match our offer..
The scuttlebutt on this board in the past is that Steele would not likely be welcomed back to Bama and my personal thought on Tucker is why leave Georgia? He knows what working with Saban is like and he's got a plum job with a top 4 team in Georgia. Very lateral move.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.