Alabama DC Search (2017)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Now that Pruitt is gone, Who do you think will step in and take over the defense play calling for next year?

I've seen some speculation that Alabama might go after Kevin Sherrer at Georgia. I would love for Tosh to take over the DC, but who knows what Saban will do at this point. If I recall, Pruitt was hired within a week of Kirby being announced as Georgia coach.

I suspect Saban will try to lock up the hiring part sometime next week. I think he wants the new coach to be out on the recruit trail asap and get familiar with the practices on the 15th.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban had better lock up Tosh before he makes a move to another DC. If you lose both Pruitt and Tosh in the same year, that will be pretty hard to replace. All of your sacks and QB pressure has been driven by your OLBs. Losing one hurts - losing them both would be much worse.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban had better lock up Tosh before he makes a move to another DC. If you lose both Pruitt and Tosh in the same year, that will be pretty hard to replace. All of your sacks and QB pressure has been driven by your OLBs. Losing one hurts - losing them both would be much worse.
With Tosh already making $950,000, not sure there's another way to lock him up without naming him DC.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I really believe the list is, like the tweet says,

1a. Tosh
1b. Sherrer

Either would be great. Either would jump at the chance. Sherrer would love to get back home as DC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With Tosh already making $950,000, not sure there's another way to lock him up without naming him DC.
It really depends on how last year's conversation went. He could have taken a DC job last tear but Saban convinced him to stay. The pay raise was probably to bridge the lost salary in his decision to stay with Alabama. But what was said about his future as a DC for Saban? We have no way of knowing the answer.

Bringing in Steele or Tucker makes sense, but I would choose Tosh over the other candidates being discussed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really believe the list is, like the tweet says,

1a. Tosh
1b. Sherrer

Either would be great. Either would jump at the chance. Sherrer would love to get back home as DC.
Sherrer is a total crap shoot. No one, including Saban, has any idea how he would handle the job.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Be nice to get a quality guy who won't necessarily be looking for HC job somewhere this time next year. Easier said than done due to the atmosphere in CFB today.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
True, but he is very, very respected in coaching circles.
He has not even been interviewed for the other DC positions already filled this year. He is an Alabama guy. He is well respected in Alabama. But no one is clamoring to land him as their DC right now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My thoughts on Sherrer - maybe he is being interviewed to replace Tosh and Tosh is moving up to DC?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I wouldn't want him for other reasons, but he has a great defensive mind, and his defenses against the spread are as solid as they come.
does he have a history of being difficult?
all i know is that he has coached some really good defensive units over the years and you are correct that he's done very well against the up tempo/spread schemes.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It really depends on how last year's conversation went. He could have taken a DC job last tear but Saban convinced him to stay. The pay raise was probably to bridge the lost salary in his decision to stay with Alabama. But what was said about his future as a DC for Saban? We have no way of knowing the answer.

Bringing in Steele or Tucker makes sense, but I would choose Tosh over the other candidates being discussed.
I agree. We bring someone else in, and we risk losing Tosh to another school. I think Tosh is ready to coach the Defense.

I'm not big fan of Kevin Steele and I think He was encouraged to look elsewhere last time he was with Bama. Doubt he'll come back to Alabama. Mel Tucker is good coach, but I sometime wonder about him... It's little too early.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I agree. We bring someone else in, and we risk losing Tosh to another school. I think Tosh is ready to coach the Defense.

I'm not big fan of Kevin Steele and I think He was encouraged to look elsewhere last time he was with Bama. Doubt he'll come back to Alabama. Mel Tucker is good coach, but I sometime wonder about him... It's little too early.
We will have to also consider the recruiting angle losing Pruitt. Tosh is known to be a good recruiter. He would be my favorite right now but I trust Coach to make the right hire.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.