Alabama DC Search (2017)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I get that some folks won't be able to get past the fact that he coached at Auburn, but...

During his last three years as a DC, Chizik's teams went 36-3 (.923) including two undefeated seasons (04 and 05 - at two different schools, no less). The three losses in 2006 came by a combined total of 26 points (8.6 points per loss).

By way of comparison, Smart's last three years as DC at Alabama yielded a record of 37-5 (.881) with the five losses coming by a total of 39 points (7.8 points per loss).

From Wiki: "His 2004 defensive unit led the country in scoring defense, giving up 11.3 points per game, and the total defense ranked 5th, which is the same ranking the 2003 team recorded. He garnered the 2004 Broyles Award, which is given each year to the top assistant coach in the nation. The 2004 Auburn Tigers football team finished 13–0 that year, won the SEC title, and defeated Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl. It placed second in the final AP and Coaches polls.

In 2005, Chizik was hired by Texas to serve as their co-defensive coordinator, assistant head coach, and linebackers coach. During his time at Texas, the team won the 2005 NCAA Division I-A national football championship by defeating USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl."

Serious question - what else would he need to do to impress you as a DC?
I'm afraid I can make a much stronger case for him than for Lupoi...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm afraid I can make a much stronger case for him than for Lupoi...
Lupoi will be great - some day - but he doesn't have the experience the Chizik has. Like I said earlier (and even a few years ago), I'd take Chizik in a heartbeat - he's an excellent, experienced, proven DC.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Lupoi will be great - some day - but he doesn't have the experience the Chizik has. Like I said earlier (and even a few years ago), I'd take Chizik in a heartbeat - he's an excellent, experienced, proven DC.
As long as you don't lose Tosh, I agree. If you lose Tosh, it is really going to hurt your recruiting. But I get it - having a dominant defense is more important than avoiding a blip in recruiting.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I hope the sudden emergence of all you chizik fanbois isn't some kind of "inside information" foreshadowing...
1- I have no inside info on this, just responding to the discussion,
2- not a 'fanboi', just know he's a very good DC,
3- if your hatred for anything AU is stronger than your love for Bama, you're following the wrong team.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don’t know if “right now” is a good time for Chizik to jump back into coaching again.
He has at least two kids in school at Auburn right now plus some business interests in several restaurants that seem to be doing well. Gene seems to be committed at least in the near term to more family focused and less coaching focused.
One thing we know. If your a coach at Alabama under Saban, he demands effort and focus which many are unable to give.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
1- I have no inside info on this, just responding to the discussion,
2- not a 'fanboi', just know he's a very good DC,
3- if your hatred for anything AU is stronger than your love for Bama, you're following the wrong team.
1. good to hear
2. you're entitled to your opinion of course
3. Don't you EVER question my unconditional love for BAMA... aight?

;)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
My biggest problem with Chizik is the lack of familiarity with what Saban has setup here on defense. What I remember of Chizik is that he is more of a even front quarters coverage guy and that isn't really what we do. He is a very good defensive coordinator though. He'd need to be attached to Nick's hips during the off-season.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
you're entitled to your opinion of course
Feel free to provide counter data which shows Chizik to not be a good DC, as I've provided facts showing his success as DC at two different universities.

If you're just spouting off because you don't like him for some reason (other than his being a former AU coach), I guess I'll just thank you for your thoughtful response.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My biggest problem with Chizik is the lack of familiarity with what Saban has setup here on defense. What I remember of Chizik is that he is more of a even front quarters coverage guy and that isn't really what we do. He is a very good defensive coordinator though. He'd need to be attached to Nick's hips during the off-season.
IIRC, he's primarily a Tampa-2 guy, learned it under Monte when Chizik was DC at UCF. But a good DC can move between alignments if he fully understands the concepts behind the designs. While I've historically thought Saban would go for guys who had s similar approach, I think he'll grab whomever he believes is the best defensive mind and have them do whatever he wants on D.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Also I think there is something valuable in bringing in a guy who isn't from the 34 over/under scheme to run the defense. We're obviously not going to see a wholesale change but perhaps there are things that could be adapted then integrated into our existing scheme. Auburn under Chizik always did things up front that gunked up things for people and got their best linemen free rushes at the passer. Maybe some things to learn there on even front pass rush?

ProudTider

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 2, 2015
I don’t know if “right now” is a good time for Chizik to jump back into coaching again.
He has at least two kids in school at Auburn right now plus some business interests in several restaurants that seem to be doing well. Gene seems to be committed at least in the near term to more family focused and less coaching focused.
One thing we know. If your a coach at Alabama under Saban, he demands effort and focus which many are unable to give.
I had heard he bought the Louie's Restaurants in Auburn. I'm with you, I think these business interests might prevent him from coaching at Alabama. If I remember correctly, when the barners learned that Taco Casa was owned by a former Alabama player, the boycott began and the Auburn location had to shut down.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I had heard he bought the Louie's Restaurants in Auburn. I'm with you, I think these business interests might prevent him from coaching at Alabama. If I remember correctly, when the barners learned that Taco Casa was owned by a former Alabama player, the boycott began and the Auburn location had to shut down.
He would probably have to sell, but my guess would be that he would make more in one year as Alabama's DC than he would make in profits at a small restaurant in Auburn, AL over a much longer time period.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
IIRC, he's primarily a Tampa-2 guy, learned it under Monte when Chizik was DC at UCF. But a good DC can move between alignments if he fully understands the concepts behind the designs. While I've historically thought Saban would go for guys who had s similar approach, I think he'll grab whomever he believes is the best defensive mind and have them do whatever he wants on D.
Right, forgot about that. I do believe that he basically installed a quarters coverage defense like Sparty at UNC. I am not 100% on that but the few games I watched seemed to be doing stuff like that. At either rate, both schemes are about simplified coverages on the backend that puts a premium on execution and effort in pursuing the ball carrier. Not really like what we do here but the fact it seems like he adjusted to the spread's ability to chew up cover-2 shows that he's willing to adapt.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
If I remember correctly, when the barners learned that Taco Casa was owned by a former Alabama player, the boycott began and the Auburn location had to shut down.
Is this true or just rivalry legend? If it's true then it's pretty damn disgusting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
You guys gotta remember, the coaching fraternity is a tight one. If Coach Saban thinks Chizik can coach here, he'll offer, regardless of where he coached. Chizik was like DuBose in a sense, great defensive coach/coordinator, not so great of a head coach. Yeah, I know he "won" a national championship, but $cam Knewton can make ANY coach look good... Just ask Meyer about Tebow, or Sumlin about Manziel, or Mullen about Prescott, or Brown about Young... etc... But I digress...

Fans are just that... fans... Coaches and players see the game from the other side, which is an entirely different perspective.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.