What recruiting damage is caused by Pruitt leaving?

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Just wondering how many recruits we may or may not lose now that Pruitt is jumping ship. Have to think some will go to Tenorcee with Pruitt instead of Rolling with the Tide. This kills me each year when we lose great coaches and have the threat of losing recruits with the coach who is leaving us.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Peterson is most worrisome because of the Rush Probst connection. He's been pushing him to Pruitt/Bama.

Copeland has a great relationship with Pruitt, so that might be affected.

Pruitt had just in=homed with Cox just before the official, but the official is what really got Cox's attention.

The recruits I've seen comment are all pretty much "sucks but I committed to Bama"

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Peterson is most worrisome because of the Rush Probst connection. He's been pushing him to Pruitt/Bama.

Copeland has a great relationship with Pruitt, so that might be affected.

Pruitt had just in=homed with Cox just before the official, but the official is what really got Cox's attention.

The recruits I've seen comment are all pretty much "sucks but I committed to Bama"
Agreed.
Cox will be Saban's baby for the next 2 weeks.
Copeland could be affected.
Petersen is the only one that really concerns me. I want this kid bad in this class. a true playmaker that can do it all.

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida
In my uninformed but interested opinion, we have a very good shot at winding up with a Top 5 class, regardless.
what really sucks is to be playing for a potential National Championship with a missing, or checked-out, Coordinator...for the third year in a row.
On the other hand....we are “dancing” for the fourth year in a row.
To all my nervous friends on this Board: Trust the Coach, and trust the Process.
RTR. ��

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
2 fears, we lose guys who are already committed and guys who would commit with Pruitt staying here and now that he is gone, we may not have a shot. Hopefully we get guys to stick with us. I realize we have CNS. Teens these days.... just never know.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
It would be foolish to think that recruits are not influenced by coaches since it is they who open minds to attend a given School. But as long as Nick Saban is the head man I don't see recruits bailing because of an assistant. How many great assistants have left us only to be replaced by solid coaches? Nah, I don't think this affects us too much with recruits and, if it does, seems they were coming to the Capstone for the wrong reasons anyway.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It would be foolish to think that recruits are not influenced by coaches since it is they who open minds to attend a given School. But as long as Nick Saban is the head man I don't see recruits bailing because of an assistant. How many great assistants have left us only to be replaced by solid coaches? Nah, I don't think this affects us too much with recruits and, if it does, seems they were coming to the Capstone for the wrong reasons anyway.
Agree with this. The overall status and crap that is going on at UT is another factor. Also, Saban has said we typically have 2-3 coaches recruit each kid so they have good relationships with several coaches in case something like this happens and at this point we are very used to this scenario.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
it hasn't stop Bama from finishing #1 in recruiting for 7 straight years. this year will be an exception due to numbers crunch, but you can bet your sweet Crimson behind if 25 or more was the limit for 2018 class, we be #1 again with a bullet!!

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
No expert here either but I imagine CNS already is on this and Tosh too! If he is promoted to DC I feel like we'll be ok.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
This is one other reason you don't immediately send Pruitt to Tennessee. If he's coaching at Alabama, he's limited on the amount of poaching he can do for his next school.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
If any of the recruits have any sense they will be stick with Bama. Why go to a school with that gawd awful colored uniform and be in the situation of a total rebuild. 10RC is a disaster right now and even if they would get the opportunity to play early, losing so much can affect a man's psyche. Stick with Crimson recruits.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is one other reason you don't immediately send Pruitt to Tennessee. If he's coaching at Alabama, he's limited on the amount of poaching he can do for his next school.
But we did exactly that according the press conference yesterday. Pruitt said he'll be at Tennessee until the dead period then back to Bama once the dead period starts. So Saban and Pruitt will be fighting over recruits one week then coaching together the next week. What could go wrong?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
But we did exactly that according the press conference yesterday. Pruitt said he'll be at Tennessee until the dead period then back to Bama once the dead period starts. So Saban and Pruitt will be fighting over recruits one week then coaching together the next week. What could go wrong?
It's the same thing that happened with Kirby. The joke was Kirby would be on the phone with a recruit and just hand the phone to Pruitt to talk to the recruit while Pruitt would hand Kirby the other phone to talk to the recruit he just talked to.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
It's the same thing that happened with Kirby. The joke was Kirby would be on the phone with a recruit and just hand the phone to Pruitt to talk to the recruit while Pruitt would hand Kirby the other phone to talk to the recruit he just talked to.
This is still better than a free-range Pruitt.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't recall Kirby going after as many of our recruits as Pruitt has already. I've seen where Pruitt's offered several of our commits or hard targets. Could be recency bias having an impact on my thoughts though since this stuff with Pruitt is happening right now..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't recall Kirby going after as many of our recruits as Pruitt has already. I've seen where Pruitt's offered several of our commits or hard targets. Could be recency bias having an impact on my thoughts though since this stuff with Pruitt is happening right now..
Probably more to do with the programs. Pruitt was more likely to offer the guys we were after while he was UGA unlike the UT staff this past year. Therefore, Kirby didn't have to offer the players. He just had to up the communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
Who exactly has he already gone after, other than JJ? Where did you read this?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
According to many sources, Smart and Saban had an agreement in place - Smart was not to try and flip any recruits in that cycle, but future cycles were 100% up for grabs. The result - not a single Alabama commit flipped to GA during that recruiting cycle. I have no idea if Saban has a similar agreement in place with Pruitt, but he could if he wanted to. Saban did not have to release Pruitt to take the TN job until after the playoff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.