Former cop found guilty of second-degree murder in shooting of unarmed black man

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I thought we had a thread on this earlier from the time of the shooting and went looking for it. Never found it. This is good news.
Yah, search seems to be limited to stuff after July or so of this year. I think there's a DB issue, need to have Brett look into it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This is a classic example of "video cameras are your friends."
Without the video of the victim "threatening" the cop (by running away from the cop), the cop might have walked.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here is a police shooting that for the life of me I cannot understand how the cop got acquitted.
Warning, this is the police body cam showing the police office shooting a 26 year old man five times with his AR-15 and it is graphic.

BODY CAM SHOWS 'EXECUTION' OF DANIEL SHAVER
... Ex-Officer Found Not Guilty

In this case, it seems to me that the police office was completely out of control and had no business being given a badge, much less an AR-15.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Here is a police shooting that for the life of me I cannot understand how the cop got acquitted.
Warning, this is the police body cam showing the police office shooting a 26 year old man five times with his AR-15 and it is graphic.

In this case, it seems to me that the police office was completely out of control and had no business being given a badge, much less an AR-15.
that's nuts

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland

There are 5 other armed cops in that same hallway, watching the same crying, drunk man begging not to be shot whilst crawling on the floor, none of those felt the need to fire.

He's not guilty? I'm disgusted.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

If that was my son this dude wouldn't have made it out of the court room but neither would the others that allowed it to happen. It probably wouldn't have made it to court for them...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Guy reached behind his back. All an Arizona jury needed to rationalize that the officer feared for his life.

Agreed that the cop was out of control. I get that things are tense, but screaming is not the way to defuse a high-tension situation. And expecting an obviously drunk guy to do anything while kneeling with his legs crossed is ridiculous.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
There are 5 other armed cops in that same hallway, watching the same crying, drunk man begging not to be shot whilst crawling on the floor, none of those felt the need to fire.

He's not guilty? I'm disgusted.
Welcome to America, Glaswegian. Know our pain.

Police are given such impossibly vast unilateral ability to use force without an iota of consequence, and a large part of that comes from the indoctrination of the public into believing that officers are always correct in their actions due to glorification of the profession itself.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Welcome to America, Glaswegian. Know our pain.

Police are given such impossibly vast unilateral ability to use force without an iota of consequence, and a large part of that comes from the indoctrination of the public into believing that officers are always correct in their actions due to glorification of the profession itself.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Guy reached behind his back. All an Arizona jury needed to rationalize that the officer feared for his life.
But the cop did not shoot him (3:45 on the video) until well after he had reached behind his back (3:10). In between time the victim established that there was nothing in his hands and his hands never went back behind his back. If I'm on the jury, and I get to see that video, we're gonna convict for murder 2, or we're gonna have a hung jury.
Agreed that the cop was out of control. I get that things are tense, but screaming is not the way to defuse a high-tension situation. And expecting an obviously drunk guy to do anything while kneeling with his legs crossed is ridiculous.
I just don't know why you don't have the guy lie on his belly with his hands on the floor above his head, then go forward and cuff him.
Then you can ask all the questions you like without fear of the guy doing anything to you. This whole "cross your legs and crawl towards me" thing is just weird. I mean, what training had the cop gotten that taught him to order the guy to attempt those Masonic maneuvers?

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

This should have been a new thread. Its lost here. Goes to show sometimes its not black or white. That poor drunken fool.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
But the cop did not shoot him (3:45 on the video) until well after he had reached behind his back (3:10). In between time the victim established that there was nothing in his hands and his hands never went back behind his back.
Difficult to do, but watch it again. Shaver reached behind his back with his right hand towards his waste band a second time at 3:44 an instant before the officer unloaded. The action is partially obscured by the officer's scope. Hindsight being 20:20, the guy was only trying to pull up his shorts, which kept falling down.

I just don't know why you don't have the guy lie on his belly with his hands on the floor above his head, then go forward and cuff him.
Then you can ask all the questions you like without fear of the guy doing anything to you. This whole "cross your legs and crawl towards me thing is just weird. I mean, what training had the cop gotten that taught him to order the guy to attempt those Masonic maneuvers?
Because at that time, they were unsure of what/who else may have been around the corner in the hotel room that the individuals had just exited. The officers were responding to a report of someone pointing a rifle from that floor's hotel window. Advancing to where Shaver and his female friend were on the floor would have brought the officers closer to (and perhaps in the line of fire from) the possible threat from the hotel room before they had these two individuals secured. As it turns out, it in fact had been Shaver's rifle that had been spotted, and from that hotel room. It was Shaver's air rifle that he was showing off to friends, a rifle that he used in his job in pest control to shoot birds in warehouses.

I have two big takeaways from this video.

First, officers need to be better trained in how to diffuse extremely tense life-and-death situations. The officer's screaming and yelling at Shaver, who was clearly flustered and therefore having a difficult time thinking clearly, calmly, and following instructions, was not at all helpful. It only made it more difficult for Shaver to actually follow the instructions that were being given to him.

Second, people in general need to understand (but so many don't seem to) that when an LEO is pointing a weapon at you and giving you instructions, you need to follow those instructions explicitly. Do exactly what you're told and don't do anything other than what you're told, especially if that other action involves something that can remotely be perceived as threatening, such as suddenly reaching behind your back to your waste band to pull up your shorts after repeatedly being told to keep your hands up. For Christ's sake, let your shorts fall.

The whole thing is unfortunate. But I do believe the officer justifiably perceived a threat, even if that perception turned out to be inaccurate in hindsight.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.