Former cop found guilty of second-degree murder in shooting of unarmed black man

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Difficult to do, but watch it again. Shaver reached behind his back with his right hand towards his waste band a second time at 3:44 an instant before the officer unloaded. The action is partially obscured by the officer's scope. Hindsight being 20:20, the guy was only trying to pull up his shorts, which kept falling down.

Because at that time, they were unsure of what/who else may have been around the corner in the hotel room that the individuals had just exited. The officers were responding to a report of someone pointing a rifle from that floor's hotel window. Advancing to where Shaver and his female friend were on the floor would have brought the officers closer to (and perhaps in the line of fire from) the possible threat from the hotel room before they had these two individuals secured. As it turns out, it in fact had been Shaver's rifle that had been spotted, and from that hotel room. It was Shaver's air rifle that he was showing off to friends, a rifle that he used in his job in pest control to shoot birds in warehouses.

I have two big takeaways from this video.

First, officers need to be better trained in how to diffuse extremely tense life-and-death situations. The officer's screaming and yelling at Shaver, who was clearly flustered and therefore having a difficult time thinking clearly, calmly, and following instructions, was not at all helpful. It only made it more difficult for Shaver to actually follow the instructions that were being given to him.

Second, people in general need to understand (but so many don't seem to) that when an LEO is pointing a weapon at you and giving you instructions, you need to follow those instructions explicitly. Do exactly what you're told and don't do anything other than what you're told, especially if that other action involves something that can remotely be perceived as threatening, such as suddenly reaching behind your back to your waste band to pull up your shorts after repeatedly being told to keep your hands up. For Christ's sake, let your shorts fall.

The whole thing is unfortunate. But I do believe the officer justifiably perceived a threat, even if that perception turned out to be inaccurate in hindsight.
Only if the officer were a scared kid who shouldn't have had a badge or gun...

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Only if the officer were a scared kid who shouldn't have had a badge or gun...
I totally agree. This isn’t a low light situation where the cop is vulnerable from many angles or anything. He clearly has a tactical advantage by having his weapon drawn and aimed on the suspect, and there are other officers to provide him cover as well (or is implied by other posters comments). The guy was on the floor at an extreme disadvantage, from an attacking standpoint (that’s why the cops made him get in that position to start with). If that cop couldn’t see, and discern that he was or wasn’t reaching for a weapon from his position, he doesn’t need to be a cop. From the video, I just don’t see a “in fear for my life” situation. I see a “You didn’t do what I said exactly, so I shot you” incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Why would an officer tell some one to crawl towards them? Wouldn't a better way be to have him keep his hands up and in view and the officer approach, cuff and search him?
I think it was because the report was of a gun sticking out of a room and the door to the room was behind the victim. In theory, if you go toward the drunk young man to cuff him, if there was a bad agent still in the room, that bad agent could have come out while the cop was cuffing the victim and shot the cop.
On the other hand, I think I would be able to arrange two cops in a hall in such a way that while one goes forward to cuff the victim, another would hold a pistol trained on the door in case someone comes out with a gun.
The murderer acted completely unreasonably in my view.
I would have remained in a hung jury for six months if necessary to ensure that this guy serves time, but under no circumstances would I have voted to acquit the murderer.
And generally I am inclined to give cops a lot of latitude, since their lives are on the line every day. This guys was looking to shoot someone.
And he got his wish.
And an unarmed innocent citizen died.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.