On Pruitt Handling Playoffs

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
I remember smart’s interview talking about how tough it was to coach Bama in the playoffs and start work for the bulldogs - found it from his first media days:

his transition to head coach hasn’t been easy. He was named coach at Georgia in early December but stayed on at Alabama through the College Football Playoff

“That was magnificent from the outside view; it was heck on wheels as far as doing two jobs,” Smart said. “When that game ended against Clemson to now has been a whirlwind.”

The most difficult part of the job?

“It’s not the pressure, it’s not the expectations. It’s the decisions, the constant decisions,” Smart said.
http://gridironnow.com/georgia-kirby-smart-1st-sec-media-days/

And this:

He was talking to several hundred reporters in small groups one after another during the hour-long Media Day event at the Phoenix Convention Center in advance of the College Football Playoff championship.... Three times during the session, Smart was pulled away to be interviewed either by ESPN on its live broadcast or to the guys from the SEC Network or on national digital radio with Rick Neuheisel on SiriusXM’s College Sports Nation. All together, Smart was being heard Saturday on virtually every edge of North America.

That wouldn’t necessarily be happening had he told Alabama he needed to move on to concentrate full time on being Georgia’s new head coach....

He was asked about handling both jobs and expectations he had once he got there.... “It’s been great,” Smart said. “But I’m ready to have one job.”
https://www.dawgnation.com/football...tting-a-lot-of-exposure-for-uga-with-bama/amp

Anyway, smart had years of interviews and a long time under Coach Saban before making the move, concerned about Pruitt handling the same situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Lot has changed since then. WE now have early signing period. I think right now, Pruitt is probably going to focus on getting some players signed in few weeks, and then focus on rest after playoff. So in some ways, It won't be too hard like it was before, but it'll be lot of work. The key to everything is to delegate some of tasks to coaching staff immediately. I think Smart after he got hired, he took a week to assemble a staff, while Pruitt already had his staff almost completed on first day of work. I think he'll work around the clock until dead period.

I'm not actually concerned about Pruitt at all.... he will be fine. If this was Pruitt last year under old rules, then yes we would be concerned. Just sit back and enjoy the next few weeks with Pruitt and try to win it all in Jan.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
You know, trying to compare the two situations, I started wondering if this effects Bama less and tn more (I’d at least hope so) - considering the heart and commitment kirby had in going back to ga

"Every day I pull into that parking spot that says head football coach, I get out of my car and pinch myself sometimes, just to make sure it's real, sort of like, 'Is this really happening?'" Smart says.

"I feel the pressure of the whole state. I mean, you feel it every day, and we haven't played a game. I want to be great. The people that love this place, I want to be great for them. I want to be great for us. I want to be great for these players. At times, it's overwhelming when you start thinking about the magnitude of it, but that's what we all signed up for, and I'm honored to be here."
and kirby had a lot pressure going into his new job

"We have to keep up, and that's the message I'm putting out there," says Smart, who is candid about the stakes of taking over for Mark Richt, who averaged nearly 10 wins over his 15-year career and was universally respected, yet was still fired... the fan base in Georgia, now brimming with optimism, will quickly turn impatient if Smart hasn't won an SEC title within three years.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...new-coach-kirby-smart-starts-job-win-now-mode

maybe lower incoming expectations at ut and the relatively more professional vs emotional (not going “home”) hiring will result in less pressure for Pruitt during this time

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting that Saban's longest-serving assistant turns out, so far, to be his most successful (stat nerds, prove me wrong, if appropriate). Something for the others to consider, perhaps...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Interesting that Saban's longest-serving assistant turns out, so far, to be his most successful (stat nerds, prove me wrong, if appropriate). Something for the others to consider, perhaps...
burns has been around forever with the rb group hasn't he?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
You know, trying to compare the two situations, I started wondering if this effects Bama less and tn more (I’d at least hope so) - considering the heart and commitment kirby had in going back to ga

and kirby had a lot pressure going into his new job

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...new-coach-kirby-smart-starts-job-win-now-mode

maybe lower incoming expectations at ut and the relatively more professional vs emotional (not going “home”) hiring will result in less pressure for Pruitt during this time

Pruitt is probably oblivious to pressure because he, like Saban, is driven like a madman and probably has less reservations about offending someone than Saban. It will be difficult for anyone to get in his way. I said this in some other post somewhere :), but UT has possibly stumbled into a very good hire, Pruitt may turn out better than any other candidate. But it is still unknown and my hole card when I think of something I wish weren't true coming to pass - my few predictions have a good chance of being wrong. So, there's hope :).

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
This will place a premium on Pruitt's professionalism. I hope he can balance things. This is high-stakes poker.
He better get used to it now, as UT HC he will be under extreme media scrutiny. Welcome to the big boys league. I also hope he handles it all well. This is a sneak peak of the pressure he will now be under year round.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Pruitt is probably oblivious to pressure because he, like Saban, is driven like a madman and probably has less reservations about offending someone than Saban. It will be difficult for anyone to get in his way. I said this in some other post somewhere :), but UT has possibly stumbled into a very good hire, Pruitt may turn out better than any other candidate. But it is still unknown and my hole card when I think of something I wish weren't true coming to pass - my few predictions have a good chance of being wrong. So, there's hope :).
I think Pruitt will be a very solid head coach, but I wish UT had been successful in one of their fifty other attempts to hire a coach so Pruitt would not have gone there. One, I wish we had Pruitt another year or two, and two, I think UT may have stumbled blindly into making the best hire in the long run. Then again, maybe UT is in such bad shape that Pruitt will get run off from there in a few years and be able to find his success elsewhere.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This will place a premium on Pruitt's professionalism. I hope he can balance things. This is high-stakes poker.
And I would add, not everybody was able to handle that task (heading for a new head coaching gig and dealing professionally with the responsibilities at the school he was leaving).

I wish him well (except against Alabama) but he better watch his back around his boss.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Pruitt ... probably has less reservations about offending someone than Saban.
I hope you’re right during this stretch, it will be interesting to watch whether this rubs folks the wrong way in tn in the long run - but next month or so, he may need to offend some these folks to stay focused on our team and preparations

Pruitt is probably oblivious to pressure because he, like Saban, is driven like a madman
Drive is commendable and a trait for success, will that drive translate into focus in between both jobs? Drive can lead folks to attempt handling more than they should at one time, and not intent to fail - as both a head coach and not fail in leading our defense.

There will be gives and takes in handling two full time jobs, something bound to “fail” (even if only meaning less than ideal for a driven individual) in either case.

Playoffs, will less than full time focus - carry our defense to a championship? Will he focus on tasks here at hand through all the distractions coming his way?

Like others have mentioned, I’m more concerned about his new fat ad bothering him than the other distractions. - I hope Pruitt offends him at good bit in the process

Last edited:

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
Everyone has their own opinion on this. Mine is this--I don't see CJP handling the double duty as well as CKS did, and we gave up 40. CKS had more time/experience as DC with CNS and did not have Phat Phil on the other side of the double duty.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I'm not liking all this right now. But I do appreciate him staying on board through the playoffs and hopefully providing OJT for our next DC. The only thing that keeps me from wishing ill will toward CJP ('cuz he's a soon to be Vile) is the notion that he can go to 10rC and learn what being a HC is really all about then maybe later coming home "When Mama Calls" so to speak. And like many others I worry about Phat Phil putting another knife in his display case if/when things go south.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I'm just ready for a playoff year without distractions. I wish JP well, but wanted him to stay another year. As a professional and a coach, I am sure JP doesn't think like us fans do when it comes to taking the TN job. It does seem weird that it is Tennessee though.

What a great story it would be for BAMA to win it all this year. Out of the 4 teams, Bama has had the most to overcome, I believe.
Injuries throughout the year, especially at LB
Off field issues with a few players
One of our coach's son died
New OC
Drama/Controversy with making it into the top 4
Jalen/Tua controversy among fans and some media
Pruitt taking the TN head coach job during the Playoffs

Most analysts pick Clemson to win it all. I hope BAMA proves what they are capable of and gets # 17 !!! RTR!

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I appreciate Pruitt wanting to stay on, I really do. Having said that, I wish he would go on to UT. This is the third year in a row that this has been a distraction for the playoffs. It hurt Bama in '15, and it hurt Bama in the championship last year. I don't see how anyone can do two jobs at this level. Go ahead and bump Lupoi up the DC, let Pruitt go on to Knoxvegas, and let's go on about our business.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.