Arizona game. Are you ready?

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Hate we lost the game. We looked so much better as a basketball team tonight than in the last 3 home games. Keep hitting the FTs and not turning the ball over and we will win a bunch of games this year.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
This team had come light years from where it was. Hard to believe it was just 3 years ago that I used to fast forward my TiVo every time the team advanced the ball because it ALWAYS burned about 15-30 seconds before anything happened and, even then, was a desperation shot as the timer expired. CAJ has been a terrific hire and the team is playing great ball. Definitely showing we're gonna be a tough out this year regardless of the opponent. Really looking forward to continued development

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Liked what I saw last night. Az hit some timely 3's even though we were in their face. They are a good team. I think those early losses were flukes. I think we are going to get up for the better teams this year.

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
on the bright side, we all learned something new. putting your foot in the face of your opponent, is a "natural" way to rebound.
That whole game was a disgusting show of bias from the announcers to that fat Arizona referee.Still proud of the way we fought.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
That whole game was a disgusting show of bias from the announcers to that fat Arizona referee.Still proud of the way we fought.
The most infuriating thing about that foul was the announcers had literally just spent 5 minutes talking about how all these refs had integrity and were the best refs ever. You could not have scripted it any better.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How can a big guy like Ayton play 36 minutes and only get called for one foul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Horrible call in my opinion. However, Shaq averaged less than 3 fouls per game his soph and jr years. Not saying he is Shaq, but talented bigs can get it done without picking up tons of fouls. That dude was a beast out there last night. Props to him

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
For those that did not see Ayton give Sexton a boot to the face...

https://twitter.com/barstoolalabama/status/939719852926930944

That was Dreymod Green-like and he does that on purpose so I'm just saying ... he looked at Sexton at the same time he was kicking his foot out. I've never seen a physical reaction like that coming down from grabbing a rebound and its not on purpose ... jmo. He had too much control.

I've kicked my leg out going up when I've been off-balanced, and seen folks that have done the same ... but never something like that. Looked intentional to me. Not much the NCCA can do right now but I would at least send that in for review for refs to keep an eye on moves like that going forward. Sexton could have been seriously hurt.

Ayton is a tremendous talent, just no need for plays like that.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
My Zona buddy called, late last night, when he arrived home. He was impressed by how well we played. (How could he not be?)

His main beef was....................."the refs ruined the game by calling too many fouls...................I think it was even how they called it...................."

Whatever, Carl..............

His other beef was when we play next year, all of the good players on both teams will be in the NBA. (Translation: one and down.)

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL

One of his first baskets was an obvious push off, should have been called on several rebounds, and shared in knocking a bunch of our guys down on drives to the basket in the second half...hate it when officiating goes too far affecting the outcomes

whatever, I’d like to think this type of game...knowing they could have won...continues to build our team confidence and continuity, and more motivation in future games

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Bama seemed to rush a little on offense during the final few possessions. They were taking shots that weren't much different from the rest of the game but just enough to miss out on some points while Arizona picked up some points.

Coach Johnson and Arizona's coach both seemed to call timeouts at the right moments.

I was impressed with Arizona's big guy making shots out away from the basket. They were killer.

There were a little too many calls and non-calls by the refs that went in the home team's favor that looked wrong from my point of view. Jones got pushed by the ball handle--foul on Jones; Ingram gets tripped up by Arizona player and lands on the player--Ingram called for pushing; Arizona's big guy committed several uncalled fouls; several players were fouled going to the basket and the foul not called (there were a lot called though as this is one of Bama's strengths)

The second half scoring by #35 (Trier) for Arizona was what kept them in the game.

Bama had too many turnovers in the first 4 to 5 minutes then did well after that. The formula for Bama to win this game was make free throws and stop turning the ball over which they did and it gave them a chance for sure. I hope this is a new trend.

One thing that hurt Bama was missing spot-up three point shots when the shooter was wide open, facing the basket and ready for the shot. Several passes were made to a shooter set up by penetration or beating a double-team and the shot did not go in. These are the higher percentage 3-point shots and there should be fewer misses.

Key has been practicing with the team so I'm expecting his addition to go smoothly. He is NBA talent or close to NBA talent and can really have an impact.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bama seemed to rush a little on offense during the final few possessions. They were taking shots that weren't much different from the rest of the game but just enough to miss out on some points while Arizona picked up some points.

Coach Johnson and Arizona's coach both seemed to call timeouts at the right moments.

I was impressed with Arizona's big guy making shots out away from the basket. They were killer.

There were a little too many calls and non-calls by the refs that went in the home team's favor that looked wrong from my point of view. Jones got pushed by the ball handle--foul on Jones; Ingram gets tripped up by Arizona player and lands on the player--Ingram called for pushing; Arizona's big guy committed several uncalled fouls; several players were fouled going to the basket and the foul not called (there were a lot called though as this is one of Bama's strengths)

The second half scoring by #35 (Trier) for Arizona was what kept them in the game.

Bama had too many turnovers in the first 4 to 5 minutes then did well after that. The formula for Bama to win this game was make free throws and stop turning the ball over which they did and it gave them a chance for sure. I hope this is a new trend.

One thing that hurt Bama was missing spot-up three point shots when the shooter was wide open, facing the basket and ready for the shot. Several passes were made to a shooter set up by penetration or beating a double-team and the shot did not go in. These are the higher percentage 3-point shots and there should be fewer misses.

Key has been practicing with the team so I'm expecting his addition to go smoothly. He is NBA talent or close to NBA talent and can really have an impact.
All good observations matching what I thought I saw. I agree our shot selection deteriorated in the last several minutes. If Riley had just been a little hotter, it's a win. They were letting him shoot. Well, hell, just a little difference in several aspects and it's a win...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
All good observations matching what I thought I saw. I agree our shot selection deteriorated in the last several minutes. If Riley had just been a little hotter, it's a win. They were letting him shoot. Well, hell, just a little difference in several aspects and it's a win...
I'm not going to get too mad about losing at Arizona with a bunch of freshmen like that. The team looked fine. In years past that would have been a blow out

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I hate we lost, but I thought the effort was there. Frankly, it was probably the best game we've played this season. We played at a high level for most of the game. A few more shots go in or a couple calls go our way and I think we'd have beaten them. There is no shame in losing to a team as talented at Zona. Our SOS has been really almost off the charts so Coach Johnson is teaching the kids to play in difficult situations so we don't wilt when the game is on the line.

I've noticed a few areas where we need to improve if we are going to be a contender in the SEC. Rebounding- Donta is getting better and better along with Ingram who is a solid rebounder from the guard position. We need more from Norris (who may be still recovering from the hip injury) and the rest of the rotation to pick it up. Braxton should help in that dept when he gets back in rhythm. Aside from Sexton, our shooting has not been good from outside. Again Norris, Petty, Jones and Ingram can and I think will be better as the season goes on. Ingram needs to take open shots when he has them. He is really hesitant, but history shows us he is a pretty decent shooter. Ingram also needs to be less passive in general. I don't think he realizes how good he really is and if he will shoot, we'll see him become the leader he can be. We need to settle on a rotation. We have players who all deserve minutes and we won't get better next year if we don't get them minutes on the floor, but we need to get about 8 kids we can depend on night in night out.

I am a believer in this team. It has a chance to be special. RTR

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hate we lost, but I thought the effort was there. Frankly, it was probably the best game we've played this season. We played at a high level for most of the game. A few more shots go in or a couple calls go our way and I think we'd have beaten them. There is no shame in losing to a team as talented at Zona. Our SOS has been really almost off the charts so Coach Johnson is teaching the kids to play in difficult situations so we don't wilt when the game is on the line.

I've noticed a few areas where we need to improve if we are going to be a contender in the SEC. Rebounding- Donta is getting better and better along with Ingram who is a solid rebounder from the guard position. We need more from Norris (who may be still recovering from the hip injury) and the rest of the rotation to pick it up. Braxton should help in that dept when he gets back in rhythm. Aside from Sexton, our shooting has not been good from outside. Again Norris, Petty, Jones and Ingram can and I think will be better as the season goes on. Ingram needs to take open shots when he has them. He is really hesitant, but history shows us he is a pretty decent shooter. Ingram also needs to be less passive in general. I don't think he realizes how good he really is and if he will shoot, we'll see him become the leader he can be. We need to settle on a rotation. We have players who all deserve minutes and we won't get better next year if we don't get them minutes on the floor, but we need to get about 8 kids we can depend on night in night out.

I am a believer in this team. It has a chance to be special. RTR
Ingram turned down one wide-open trey at a time when we really needed it...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.