In Defense of The Committee (Or A Reminder of What Could Be Happening Right Now)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
#2 Bama had a substantial lead over #3 FSU in the AP poll prior to the SEC Champ game. There were 62 voters and Bama had a 62 point lead, i.e., Bama and Miami would have played without the SECC game.
Yup. I remember thinking how dangerous it was to have a conference championship game, and how thrilled (and relieved) I was to see Antonio Langham jump that route for the pick six to seal the deal. Losing that game (which was the first of its kind) could have been an unnecessary disqualifier for playing Miami, and I think we can all agree that the world is better for having had that game.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
There was a controversy in 2003.

The others were just people mad about the BCS.

The 2001 controversy only occurred because of 9/11 and the cancellation of the Colorado-Washington State game. Without that, either Oregon (which nobody really doubted) or Colorado (bigger controversy but they DID beat Nebraska pretty handily) gets killed by Miami.

2006 was media generated because so many pundits attended Northwestern's fine journalism school and since NW is mostly terrible, they derive their egos from the rest of the conference in football. THEY created that controversy.

I went through each year with a separate post back in April. After looking closely at it, I had to conclude that save for 2003, the BCS got it right every single time.
I was not addressing whether the BCS was right or wrong. I guess it's how you define controversy, but by my simple definition: people squawking :), all of the years I listed were controversial years. I'm not sure what the poster meant by controversy, but that is what I was answering. And there was great squawking in those years. In most instances they had a reasonable case, though I think the BCS's decision was usually more reasonable (though 2009 would have been a disastrous 4 team field). But ultimately, my response was to his insisting that the introduction of computers were the reason for any reduction in "controversy", if indeed that was the case. IMO, it was not.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
The problem is we've tried to marry all of these systems together. We want tradition, and that means the Big Ten playing the Pac 12 in the Rose Bowl, and the SEC in the Sugar Bowl, etc. But we also wanted all of these disparate parts brought together under one umbrella so that we'd hopefully eliminate controversy or at least eliminate split NCs.

I think this system has done the best we could do to bring all of that together. You get your Big Ten/Pac 12 Rose Bowl most years. You get your SEC Sugar Bowl most years (I never liked the Big 12 pairing, by the way. I know what they were trying to do. But we weren't talking about the Big 12 of the 90s). And we get all the power conferences together in the same system with 4 teams playing it off and they do this in the bowl games, not stand alone playoff games. So, you keep the bowl system valid and all the tradition that comes along with it.

I think you've got to have a committee for all of that to work, or at least human override capabilities. All that said, I am not a fan of it. Its worked out for us though, and I'll just say to the folks that can't stand us. At some point, we'll fall off this perch because it is impossible to stay on it forever. And when that day comes, you are going to want the committee to behave just as it has so far. Of course, I said that about the BCS after the 2011 season. Folks just have no patience.
I’m in the minority, favoring traditional bowl tie in, and polls post bowls in determining champion(s)...with caveat that I think polls work better today with availability and dissemination of information. I thought original bcs polls were good, liked it less when they changed the computers to basically align more with the voters.

What makes college football great to me is not only tradition, but all the conversation driven by the week to week games that all matter, bowls that matter, and the polls week to week and after the season.

I like the playoffs much less, we win in 2014 and 2016 with bcs, or win/split with traditional bowls, without the four team playoff. We benefit this year, but like op describes - still have a chance at major poll championship depending on the final bowl results.

Can’t stand the thought of expanded playoffs that further diminish regular season and bowls, and take away the who’s better conversation that we fans drive year round. Personally think the subjectivity in some amount is what makes many more passionate about the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.