Question: Heisman Trophy: I’m thinking serious changes need to be made

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
To me the Heisman needs a reboot.
Any thoughts?

One main thing they should do is wait until after the bowl games. DeShaun Watson was a Heisman player and should have won last year IMO.

Another is integrity. Does it matter?

This year Baker will win and character should count.

This is what it should be like....

https://youtu.be/MVEnPa20f9Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Truthfully, I only care about these awards when an Alabama or OSU player wins, and then only for a day or two. So I guess that I don't really care about the awards at all, just the players.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Watson has his chances last season, his regular season was no where near as good as Jackson though he did win head to head against him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
Really? Do you think Jackson was the best player in CFB last year?
The Heisman should about more than numbers. Leadership and being a winner should factor into it.

I'll just say this. I wish the "most outstanding" player in CFB had been the QB in the NCG last year instead of Watson. Don't you?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I am sick of QB's being about the only ones to win, with a RB tossed in now and then. There are 22 positions on a field, and the QB and RB are not always even close to being the best on a field. I dare say there have been many defensive guys that are much better overall to a team, than the best QB in the nation. Time to quit making it a numbers only award.

Really? Do you think Jackson was the best player in CFB last year?
The Heisman should about more than numbers. Leadership and being a winner should factor into it.

I'll just say this. I wish the "most outstanding" player in CFB had been the QB in the NCG last year instead of Watson. Don't you?
No, but neither was Watson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
The thing that gets me is the arrogance of the award. The Heisman committee wants to throw around words like “integrity” and yet 3 of the last 7 winners have had severe character issues during their college careers. Tonight the head trustee of the committee told Baker Mayfield that he was a credit to college athletics. That is an absolute joke considering Mayfield was arrested last year for public intox and resisting arrest.

The arrest wouldn’t even bother me had it been a one off mistake. It would be very forgivable had it been a young and dumb decision, but he’d kept his nose clean since. Instead he’s flipped off fans, openly screamed obscenities on national tv, and vulgarly showboated in the direction of his opponents.

I would argue that Mayfield is a worse pick than Manziel. At least the majority of Manziel’s transgressions were after he won the trophy. Mayfield has virtually been given a free pass because he has a feel good backstory.

There is no doubt that Baker was the best player in the country on the field. However calling him a credit to scholar athletes is insulting to all of the scholar athletes work just as hard, with far less glory, while actually keeping their noses clean.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I think they need to change it somehow where defensive players get more recognition somehow, but I don’t think they should wait until the bowl games. Then they would choose a player out of the playoff every time

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Both offensive and defensive players can win awards prior the Heisman and yet only offensive players (with a token defensive player now and then) are pretty much allowed to win the Heisman? Yeah, something doesn't sit right with me. I think the top defensive players in college should be allowed in the same spotlight as the offensive player. So why isn't there a defensive version of the Heisman? I suspect B. Chubb and Minkah, would at least headline a defensive version of the award.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think there are already enough trophies to go around at the end of the year. Watch the other awards, and you can see linemen and linebackers and even punters win awards. I don't watch awards shows, so it would be fine with me if they put the presentation of the Heisman in with all of the others and just called it the most dynamic or impressive offensive player award.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To me the Heisman needs a reboot.
Any thoughts?

One main thing they should do is wait until after the bowl games. DeShaun Watson was a Heisman player and should have won last year IMO.

Another is integrity. Does it matter?

This year Baker will win and character should count.

This is what it should be like....

https://youtu.be/MVEnPa20f9Q

I honestly don't care.

Heisman Trophy is awarded for "best skill position player on a national championship contender" in almost every single case. Whether that guy kicks his dog, engages in insider trading, or trips blind people is irrelevant unless he's doing it on the football field.

In light of what some Heisman winners have done AFTER winning it (I'm looking at you, Billy Cannon and OJ Simpson), who cares?

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I think Heisman is another thing that ESPN has run into the ground. Before the first day of the season we get Heisman picks and continue to get them everyday thereafter. I'm glad when a Bama player gets the award and presents himself well when representing his family and university. Other than that I don't care no I think there re a lot of folks like me who feel the same.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As far as after the bowl games, no.

It's a SEASON award, not "award given to the guy who just now got everyone's attention with a stellar game."

The attention span of the moronic voters leads me to at least HOPE we can get the right winner if we do it post conference title games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.