Question: Which new SEC coach has the best year in 2018?

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
With all of the new coaches in the SEC this year, which one will have the biggest impact on their new team? Do you see any of them winning their division next year?

Dan Mullen - UF
Joe Moorhead - MSST
Jimbo Fisher - aTm
Jeremy Pruitt - UT
Chad Morris - Arky

I'm going to say Dan Mullen has the biggest impact next year on UF. I think he will finally get their offense clicking like it's supposed to, but I don't know if it will be enough to win the East if UGA has another good year like 2017.

I see MSST declining a little and going either 6-6 or 7-5. I think Jimbo will have A&M playing about the same way and going 7-5 or 8-4. I don't think Jeremy Pruitt is going to have a good first year at Tennessee - possibly 6-6. I see Arkansas improving a little and maybe going 7-5.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
One of them will probably surprise me but my gut tells me Mullen is the best choice here. Fisher could be the big surprise - dude is an experienced HC and is inheriting a ton of talent...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Fisher will likely have the best season since he inherits the most talent.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
If you define best year as simply an increase in wins, then I'd have to go with Mullen. I can see UF winning at least 8 games next year. I think Pruitt is second and UT will win at least 2 SEC games. Jimbo might win up being the best overall hire and have the most long term success, but I don't see him adding 4+ wins in 2018.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you define best year as simply an increase in wins,
Why would you define it that way. It is much harder to improve on aTm's season that TN's. It would be a lot more impressive to improve aTm's season by 2 wins than TN's by 4.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Why would you define it that way. It is much harder to improve on aTm's season that TN's. It would be a lot more impressive to improve aTm's season by 2 wins than TN's by 4.
TAMU lost to 2 teams in 2017 that I think will not be as good next year as they are this year ( Miss st. And the Barn who did Really well this year so they should do the traditional drop off.) I do not expect them to beat Alabama or probably LSU either. Their other loss this year was their " tough" OOC game UCLA. Next year they play Clemson as their tough OOC game so I expect them to lose that one. In summary, I think they do not have to play much better to go have 2 less losses next year but to have 3 or 4 less losses will be a huge improvement.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Not saying that you do, simply IF. Wins is is the easiest to quantify and what most people gravitate to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Long term I say Mullen and Fisher, first year may have more to do with one team landing that difference maker. I look back at Saban's first year and it was nothing to brag about. But he built a heck of a foundation for long term winning. Then look at some who have stepped into a mess and made a great run year 1. Mostly due to landing a great difference maker player. Great coaches build teams, flashy ones build a season. SO I feel the guy who can maybe land a heisman type player may make yr 1 biggest splash. So in that thought I have no idea yr 1. But Fisher and Mullen I think will be the most successful long term. If one of the others find a tebow or a cam they may have a better first year.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Do you see any of them winning their division next year?
Dan Mullen - UF
Joe Moorhead - MSST
Jimbo Fisher - aTm
Jeremy Pruitt - UT
Chad Morris - Arky
None will win their division next year, but I believe UF will be second in the east.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Probably none will win their division, but I think Pruitt will probably have the best year. I only define that as taking a toxic dumpster fire situation and turning it into a football program. He has the steepest hill to climb.

I hate where it might happen and have thoroughly enjoyed watching ut implode, but I think he fixes more problems than anyone.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think so,he doesn't have a QB,and UF is about a big a mess as we are. Fisher/A&M will be dangerous from the get-go.
Mullen will pull in a good QB in this class, and he is as good as they come in developing QBs. My question - will the Gator injury curse continue?

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think Fisher has the acumen and the existing talent to be a national title contender most quickly, but they also have a brutal schedule, playing Clemson and Alabama in the first four weeks. I think I'd still pick them to finish 2nd in the SEC West right now. Auburn can't have two good years in a row by law, and LSU will continue to trend down with Coach O.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I think Fisher just has more pieces in place to start, so I would give him the nod.
I think he's going to have some discipline issues that leave, first. Wouldn't surprise me if he did some addition by subtraction that might hinder year 1 a bit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.