Question: How well do you think Pruitt will recruit at 11essee?

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
The Vol board is hopping up and down about what a great recruiter Pruitt was at both Alabama and Georgia, and they just "know" he'll do the same for them. But they don't seem to be accounting for the fact that there's might be a slight difference between them and the above mentioned programs.....

Our coaches don't so much "recruit" these days as they select players, and Georgia is also obviously on the uptick.

So what do you all think? I know they're low down, they're dirty, they're a bunch of snitches, etc...., but do you think Pruitt can successfully recruit in that dumpster fire?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
It will have a lot less to do with Pruitt than it has to do with UT. Saban could maybe pull it off due to his Stature, but UT is not a place most good recruits will even look at. They are not a top school anymore. UT will have a hard time getting good players, and it is not about Pruitt. IT is UT itself, why would a good player want to waste his 3-4 yrs at that dump? Really does anyone think with that mess it is going to be any good anytime soon? Their issues are deep and in the system, not in the coaching.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I think Jones did a pretty good job at recruiting. He just couldn't develop the talent AND was a horrible X and O coach. I think Pruitt will get his share of players. Pruitt's staff will determine if he's successful there or not.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I think he will do pretty well, but really, would you want to go compete for national titles or try to turn around a once strong program from the late 90's to early 00's?

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It will have a lot less to do with Pruitt than it has to do with UT. Saban could maybe pull it off due to his Stature, but UT is not a place most good recruits will even look at. They are not a top school anymore. UT will have a hard time getting good players, and it is not about Pruitt. IT is UT itself, why would a good player want to waste his 3-4 yrs at that dump? Really does anyone think with that mess it is going to be any good anytime soon? Their issues are deep and in the system, not in the coaching.
This sounds very similar to what people were saying about Alabama in the early 2000s.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This sounds very similar to what people were saying about Alabama in the early 2000s.
You're right. People were saying the same thing about Alabama before Saban was hired. But here's a thought. If Bama hadn't of gotten Saban to take the job and hired another coach. What would Bama be today? Would we have gotten "back" to competing for SEC Titles and NC's? Did it take a "Saban type" coach to pull Bama off life support and will Tennessee need the same type hire?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You're right. People were saying the same thing about Alabama before Saban was hired. But here's a thought. If Bama hadn't of gotten Saban to take the job and hired another coach. What would Bama be today? Would we have gotten "back" to competing for SEC Titles and NC's? Did it take a "Saban type" coach to pull Bama off life support and will Tennessee need the same type hire?
Hard to say. Bama obviously wouldn't be what it is today without Saban.

That said, while I hope 11essee wallows in misery forever, the point remains - they're an historic blue blood program that, with the right coach, will be competitive again. Burying them and acting as if they're has-beens that will never recover is short-sighted, at best...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

That said, while I hope 11essee wallows in misery forever, the point remains - they're an historic blue blood program that, with the right coach, will be competitive again. Burying them and acting as if they're has-beens that will never recover is short-sighted, at best...
I maybe simply looking through my Crimson Colored glasses and if that's the case. I'm good with that. LOL! But outside of a Saban/Meyer type coach. I see don't see Tennessee ever getting back to what it was in the mid to late 90's. I simply do not. I think 9 wins per year will be their average, with an occasional appearance in the SEC title game. But the powerhouse years they enjoyed when Manning and Tee Martin was there? Nope. I don't see it happening.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Pruitt will do fine at recruiting. As far as I know, they still have the largest recruiting budget in the country, and even Butch Jones pulled in more than one top 10 (maybe top 5) class. The bigger question is whether or not Pruitt is ready to be a head coach and compete with the big boys. Talent can only take you so far. I hope their patience runs out before Pruitt figures it out.

Addendum: My feelings about Tennessee are not fit for this board. But they can go do things that are physically impossible to do to oneself.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

It also took the AD giving CNS almost complete control of the program and telling the boosters to back off. I do not expect Fulmer to let Pruitt have that kind of control, nor do I expect Pruitt to have the clout to tell boosters to back off.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I maybe simply looking through my Crimson Colored glasses and if that's the case. I'm good with that. LOL! But outside of a Saban/Meyer type coach. I see don't see Tennessee ever getting back to what it was in the mid to late 90's. I simply do not. I think 9 wins per year will be their average, with an occasional appearance in the SEC title game. But the powerhouse years they enjoyed when Manning and Tee Martin was there? Nope. I don't see it happening.
They will have to cheat heavily to get back to that point. Demographics are simply against them. Nebraska is a similar, albeit worse, boat. Outside of Ole Miss style cheating, they need Saban to retire and us to hire a dud to replace him, Florida and Georgia to get put on probation, and Dabo to leave Clemson.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
According to sources, Fulmer wants to make "Alabama sweat again" with the hire of Pruitt. I hate that fat donut so much. I respect Pruitt a lot but I hope we beat Tennessee for the rest of the time Saban is the coach at Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
They will have to cheat heavily to get back to that point. Demographics are simply against them. Nebraska is a similar, albeit worse, boat. Outside of Ole Miss style cheating, they need Saban to retire and us to hire a dud to replace him, Florida and Georgia to get put on probation, and Dabo to leave Clemson.
Exactly. The only reason Fulmer was so good in the late 90's and early 00's is because Roy Kramer was the commissioner. He gave Tennessee full reign to go out and cheat their butts off. If you notice, Tennessee hasn't been good since Kramer retired. Their last SECCG appearance was 2007.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.