Your opinion on Jeremy Pruitt?

Big Orange

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
Morning to y'all down there in T town! I'm a Tennessee dude and this is my first post and was wondering what y'all think we have with Coach Pruitt? The D is clear cut but has he ever said or shown what he favors on offence?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
He is likely to run an offense that will fit the team's strength.. and right now with the personnel they have, I believe it'll be either spread or Pro style offense. He wants an offense that can drive down the field and burn the clock.. allowing Defense to be fresh.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
I think Pruitt can be a good head guy one day, but I don't believe he was ready yet and I think he made a mistake by taking this job at UT, especially with Fulmer as AD. I think Pruitt should've went after that South Alabama job with Jones retiring. With Fulmer as AD I believe (I may be wrong, probably not LOL) he's going to be trying to run the program from his AD office and be interfering with Pruitt and the coaching staff. Call me crazy but I don't think he last 3 years.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I think Pruitt can be a good head guy one day, but I don't believe he was ready yet and I think he made a mistake by taking this job at UT, especially with Fulmer as AD. I think Pruitt should've went after that South Alabama job with Jones retiring. With Fulmer as AD I believe (I may be wrong, probably not LOL) he's going to be trying to run the program from his AD office and be interfering with Pruitt and the coaching staff. Call me crazy but I don't think he last 3 years.
Agreed. There's a reason why the search started at Jon Gruden and ended with Pruitt. No one else wanted the job. Maybe Pruitt proves to be a capable head coach but it's a gamble right now. Saban will replace Pruitt with another great coordinator.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Fortunately (for Bama) and unfortunately (for the Vols), I think y'all are getting a Jeremy Pruitt HC in his time where he will be learning to be a HC. Not after he's had some experience and had an opportunity to make some mistakes and learn from them. There are also dynamics at play at UT that he will have to overcome and battle with on a routine basis.

I know it is easy to point to Kirby Smart and his success at JawJa. But Kirby had pretty decent talent sitting there waiting on him, the program wasn't a national dumpster fire when he showed up and didn't have to overcome a public perception problem. He also didn't have an AD who was a former coach (a recent one at that) who we all know wants to get his hands on and put his .02 into the program.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm tolerating him until the playoffs are over, after which I will hate him with the white-hot heat of 1,000 suns and claim he was the worst DC Bama has ever employed.

Other than that, I think he's a potentially solid hire for ut. Hasn't had the time under Saban Smart had, so time will tell as to whether or not he's ready. Remember, he was coaching HS football ~10 years ago...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Hopefully about as good as the last head coach that Nick Saban sent to TN. :biggrin:

Big Orange

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
Agreed. There's a reason why the search started at Jon Gruden and ended with Pruitt. No one else wanted the job. Maybe Pruitt proves to be a capable head coach but it's a gamble right now. Saban will replace Pruitt with another great coordinator.
Yea, the Grumors were silly and stupid,I don't know what some of these people think some time,then the whole search was a disaster till Fulmer took it over so salvage it. The leadership at UT since Coach Dickey retired has stunk like a Singapor whorehouse. I really think the revolt over Schiano ousted that bunch of snakes and things will get back on track if there can be some stability for a few years. I can't wait to watch the ESPN special about this mess.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Yea, the Grumors were silly and stupid,I don't know what some of these people think some time,then the whole search was a disaster till Fulmer took it over so salvage it. The leadership at UT since Coach Dickey retired has stunk like a Singapor whorehouse. I really think the revolt over Schiano ousted that bunch of snakes and things will get back on track if there can be some stability for a few years. I can't wait to watch the ESPN special about this mess.
It was a disaster because Fulmer and his cronies were trying to sabotage it. At least Currie was hiring people with head coaching on their resume.

Big Orange

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
I liked him at Bama and think he is a good coach, but now that he is going to the u of knoxville, I wish him no luck and don't ever come back.
I believe he will be a good coach too, but I also believe his head coaching career was born a little prematurely and he will need the fumbles and brakes to go his way that first season. If he can win 7 games next years I'd bet he'll be off and running the next.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think he will eventually be a good HC. Will he be immediately successful at UT? No idea. He is one of my favorite coaches under Saban though and the players love him. I wouldn't bet against him.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm tolerating him until the playoffs are over, after which I will hate him with the white-hot heat of 1,000 suns and claim he was the worst DC Bama has ever employed.

Other than that, I think he's a potentially solid hire for ut. Hasn't had the time under Saban Smart had, so time will tell as to whether or not he's ready. Remember, he was coaching HS football ~10 years ago...
Guz Malzahn says "hello."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Fulmer is going to meddle so much in Pruitt's program that they will struggle more than they should. Pruitt is too inexperienced to manage that effectively, and he doesn't have the political clout to overcome someone like Fulmer at TN. The end result, IMO, will be Pruitt's firing in 3 years - not because he is not capable, but because he will not be given the opportunity to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I think Pruit is a good hire for Tennessee. He has enough experience under Saban to know what he is trying to accomplish. The key thing he said in the press conference was about going after recruits who fit at UT (paraphrasing). Butch recruited well but either couldn’t get his recruits to buy in or they were thugs.

I don’t subscribe to the theory that Tennessee is a poor recruiting state. West Tennessee is good for recruiting, So is Nashville, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Oak Ridge, and Knoxville. There is no Auburn equivalent in Tennessee and the Vols can recruit in Georgia and north Alabama. Facilities at UT are good and they are upgrading Neyland Stadium.

Pruitt should be given enough leash to learn on the job. If the Vols fans expect to compete for the SEC title next year they are being unrealistic. Butch was in over his head so I just can’t use him as a barometer. So was Dooley. Kiffin was Kiffin.

IMO, the biggest problem UT has is the AD. Be that as it may, he did a much better job in the coaching search than Currie.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.