Favorite WW2 Movies

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Well, with the attack on Pearl Harbor anniversary recently past and the Kirk Douglas thread I started/commented on, it got me thinking, what are some of my favorite WW2 movies or WW2 themed movies?

I'll try and list my top 10:

1) Midway (my first "real" movie to go to the theater with my dad so it's always had a special place in my heart for numerous reasons)

2) Saving Private Ryan

3) Patton

4) The Dirty Dozen

5) The Longest Day

6) The Battle of the Bulge

7) The Bridge over the River Kwai

8) Sands of Iwo Jima

9) The Eagle has Landed

10) Flags of Our Fathers

Others:

The Guns of Navarone
Kelly's Heroes
The Great Escape

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
In no particular order...

Patton
Saving Private Ryan
A Bridge Too Far
Mister Roberts
Schindler's List
Bridge on the River Kwai
Inglorious Basterds
Casablanca
The Great Escape
Das Boot

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The Great Escape
Tora! Tora! Tora!
The Bridge of the River Kwai
Saving Private Ryan
Sands of Iwo Jima
Enemy at the Gates
Patton
Where Eagles Dare
Run Silent, Run Deep
The Longest Day

There are way too many to remember and to list...

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Fury is on my list as well.
I liked it as well (especially the Sherman vs. Tiger scene), but the end battle scene, an infantry battalion against a mobility-killed tank was pretty stupid.
One panzerschreck team would reduce that tank to a burning hulk while the infantry just went around, traveling just beyond machinegun range. No way they would have stopped to make a deliberate attack on an m-killed tank with no infantry supports. Any experienced infantry commander would have known that.

In March 1945, a German engineer officer was sent to Remagen to blow up the bridge after the last German soldiers had retreated across. He grabbed a squad of engineer soldiers, showed them where he wanted the explosives placed, and told them to get busy placing the explosives. As soon as he turned his back, the entire squad dropped the demo and ran across the bridge to surrender to the Americans on the western shore.
German morale collapsed at various points in different units, but the level of fanaticism displayed in that attack was a real rarity by that stage in the war.

Still, Fury was generally a solid WW II film.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.