News Article: Alabama’s Athletic Trainers are Led by the Best

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Every Alabama football player is required to have his ankles taped or braced for every practice or game. That means every player comes to see Jeff Allen and his staff before every practice and every game.

He’ll tape about 15 players a day before practice and more on game days. That works out to about two hours of work every day. Some may consider it one of the more ponderous tasks of his profession. Allen doesn’t.

“It matters,” Allen said. “It’s not just a menial task. It matters.”

The way Allen – Alabama’s associate athletics director for sports medicine – sees it, about a quarter of the injuries he and the medical staff deal with are ankle injuries. That’s why every player is required to be taped or braced, every day.

“If we don’t tape them and don’t do a good job of it, I guarantee you, our injuries are going to shoot up,” he said. “When I’m taping them, I’m like, ‘OK, I’m protecting this guy so that he can stay on the field.’ I’m not just throwing some tape on him. I’m doing it the right way, doing it the way that’s going to work biomechanically and physiologically so that we keep this guy on the field.”

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Enjoyed the article, from highlighting the relationship with the current and former players, to the linked article on recruiting, good stuff

“I think that is the norm, versus here, where I meet with every official visit that we have. I’ll meet with them, I’ll meet with their families. We’ll talk to them and give them a presentation about our medical care. It’s an in-depth presentation, if you will, on every kid that comes through here on an official visit. That’s a priority to Coach Saban, that they meet with our area.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Loved this article. Jeff and his family are great people and the Capstone is really lucky to have him and them as part of it. He’s been with Coach since day one here and is soooooo important to the success both on and off the field. Thx for posting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
When I was a kid the Trainer for Gadsden High School lived a block from me. MB Hooten showed a number of neighborhood kids
how to tape ankles.

Things have came a long way since then.

Alabama's trainers are second to none on wrapping/taping to protect the players. IMO: Jeff Allen is the best around.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.