"Computer virus" scam calls...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Tried a new tack with the "your computer has a virus" scammers yesterday. (My answering machine always reports them as "invalid'" number instead of "inval'id".) I picked up and said "Self Computer Services," as I have been lately. This particular one didn't hang up. He started to talk and I said "Do you have a problem with your computer or not?" There was stunned silence before he finally said "yes," I guess any way to hold me on the line. I then said "You're in India. I can't help you if you're not in the United States, so stop wasting my time. Goodbye!" So far, no more calls from a 961 area call "Invalid number"...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Can't post it here because of some language but you might find the video Revenge on IRS Phone Scamming Company amusing.

Guy sets up a computer script to call the scammer's call center 28 times a second and records all the interactions.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I got one at work the other day for "Canadian Pharmacies" and I did my best "Abu" impersonation. The Indian lady said "Hang on a minute" and a I guess a supervisor came on and started cussing me out in Hindu, then in English which I continued on with my Indian accent and told him how rude it was to cuss out a fellow Indian considering he was a short-peniled punjabi and his wife was completely unsatisfied with his performance despite the "enhancement" medicine he was trying to sell me and was taking but thankfully, I was able to provide her full satisfaction and that her child was mine. "Click."

My boss sits next to me and came over to my office crying. He couldn't believe I just did that...

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
My favorite ones are when I try to sell something on Craig’s List and it’s an item that is a couple hundred dollars or more. That always brings out the scammers (normally in the form of a text). It’s always so easy to pick them out, because it’s usually a “cut and paste” of the listing title, followed by something like, “is item available for sales?”.....”I am satisfied with price and would be needing your address, to send check...yada, yada..” (when I post clearly that it’s a cash only in person deal...)

I usually say “sure man! Followed by a day or so of giving them the run around thinking they have me hook, line, and sinker by acting like an unsuspecting victim that’s getting confused by the details. After I have them believing I will accept their check for more than the amount, and will Western Union some of the money to their “moving company” (that they will have to have come by to pick up the item, because they are conveniently out of town).

I finally end the conversation by saying my name is .....Haywood Jablome, followed by a bogus address containing a few expletives. They never reply back after that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I start off by telling them that I have multiple computers, then I ask for the ip address or mac address. They usually hang up at that point. I haven't gotten a call in months...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I usually say “sure man! Followed by a day or so of giving them the run around thinking they have me hook, line, and sinker by acting like an unsuspecting victim that’s getting confused by the details. After I have them believing I will accept their check for more than the amount, and will Western Union some of the money to their “moving company” (that they will have to have come by to pick up the item, because they are conveniently out of town).
Sadly one of my old bosses fell for the Western Union scam to the tune of $5,000+. Everyone else in the shop told him it seemed off. Once they told me what the name of the person was (after it was too late to stop it) I did a quick google and it popped up on scam warning sites.

They ordered a print run (which was a low quality, bad file) convinced him to send them money Western Union despite other people saying don't do it, and then on top of that he ordered paper for the run and had us print thousands of sheets of it before realizing he'd been scammed. And that's part of the story of how I ended up laid off (through no fault of my own) for around two years during the recession.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My favorite ones are when I try to sell something on Craig’s List and it’s an item that is a couple hundred dollars or more. That always brings out the scammers (normally in the form of a text). It’s always so easy to pick them out, because it’s usually a “cut and paste” of the listing title, followed by something like, “is item available for sales?”.....”I am satisfied with price and would be needing your address, to send check...yada, yada..” (when I post clearly that it’s a cash only in person deal...)

I finally end the conversation by saying my name is .....Haywood Jablome, followed by a bogus address containing a few expletives. They never reply back after that!

there was a guy on an old running listserve that told a story about dragging of one of those scam guys on for several days (giving him accounts with one number missing, etc.) from the beginning he told the guy his name was harry areolas. the responses he posted from the scammer after he figured out he was being led on were hilarious.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I start off by telling them that I have multiple computers, then I ask for the ip address or mac address. They usually hang up at that point. I haven't gotten a call in months...
That's the result I'm aiming for in trying to make them think they've reached a computer company. I may try stringing them along a little longer. Wasting their time is the key, I think...

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sadly one of my old bosses fell for the Western Union scam to the tune of $5,000+. Everyone else in the shop told him it seemed off. Once they told me what the name of the person was (after it was too late to stop it) I did a quick google and it popped up on scam warning sites.

They ordered a print run (which was a low quality, bad file) convinced him to send them money Western Union despite other people saying don't do it, and then on top of that he ordered paper for the run and had us print thousands of sheets of it before realizing he'd been scammed. And that's part of the story of how I ended up laid off (through no fault of my own) for around two years during the recession.
This the "help, I'm stranded" scam?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

We had one of our inside sales reps take an order from a company with a "home" address in Ohio. He didn't bother confirming the address or the company, he just had a PO in hand and placed the order. We lost about 20K on the order. It literally went to a house and then of course, was packaged up and shipped out. So if you're ever looking for a "work from home gig" as advertised on the internet, don't believe it.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL

I know several people that have gotten taken by similar deals, although not nearly that much money though.

I almost succumbed to the scam years ago, but never went through with it, because in all my years of buying/selling/trading, I’ve never had someone not try to get me to lower a price much less offer me more than I’m asking!

I was selling a brake rotor/drum lathe on Craig’s List once. Had a scammer pull the “send me a check deal for more than the amount”. He actually sent me the check. It was made out from the University of Wisconsin. I called the bank that the check was supposedly on and asked if it was a legitimate account. They wouldn’t give details about whether the check was good, but did verify that the account existed. I almost deposited the check when I noticed that the check was printed out with the same style program that my work prints our payroll checks on. I know that if my employers used that program, it was cheap and easily obtainable for anyone else to do the same (that’s bad to think that way albeit true!).

Then it dawned on me. They could counterfeit a check from a larger business that probably does transaction of a few thousand dollars very frequently, and has plenty of funds available. The check could process, and clear the bank, Having the seller believe all is good. Then the seller fulfills the agreement by sending the extra back via Western Union. Then, weeks down the road the accounting department of the big company starts wondering...”what was this check written for?” They research and follow the paper trail leading back to the seller and the seller is on the hook by law to repay it all back.

It’s a pretty damn sorry scam to pull on people, so I enjoy going through great lengths to mess with their heads.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
We had one of our inside sales reps take an order from a company with a "home" address in Ohio. He didn't bother confirming the address or the company, he just had a PO in hand and placed the order. We lost about 20K on the order. It literally went to a house and then of course, was packaged up and shipped out. So if you're ever looking for a "work from home gig" as advertised on the internet, don't believe it.
About a year ago a coworker’s mom got scammed by a “start your own business selling our product at home” type scam and got took for over $20K. They even sent her approved credit card applications needing only her signature to continue the scam when she said she didn’t have the money to continue paying for the never ending “training” and other hidden requirements they kept asking money for. She finally overcame her embarrassment and asked my coworker (her son) for help when she was on the verge of losing her home.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Sadly, we have a couple of dumb/over zealous sales reps who would fall for this every time.
Part of the problem was he was desperate for work since things were so slow in printing, still doesn't really excuse it though when it could have been easily checked as my internet searching showed.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I got around to checking my cell for voicemails. There were five. One was from my wife, on the way back from Nashville. One was just boiler room background noise and three were from the "IRS." The youngest, greenest-sounding one, was coming to arrest me. The other two were a strident female voice which sounds exactly like the lady on TV who promises to get you out of any amount you owe the IRS. I guess she's moonlighting...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I got around to checking my cell for voicemails. There were five. One was from my wife, on the way back from Nashville. One was just boiler room background noise and three were from the "IRS." The youngest, greenest-sounding one, was coming to arrest me. The other two were a strident female voice which sounds exactly like the lady on TV who promises to get you out of any amount you owe the IRS. I guess she's moonlighting...
I finally got one of these calls yesterday.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.