UN official: Alabama's poverty & sewage crisis very uncommon in first world

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Libertarianism is just another way to arrive at the ethnostate without needing to use Christianity as a go between.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Libertarianism tends to arise through an enrollment in an intro to microeconomics class that they had to take to get their general business degree

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It is funny because libertarianism is almost completely divorced from any sense of humanity.
I disagree, but I understand why you're saying what you're saying.

More than anything else your statement saddens because it seems most everyone now believes compassion and humanity come exclusively from the government rather than from their neighbors.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I feel like the disconnect is that Nixon, the civil rights movement, etc has soured people on the idea that the government is "the people" but instead an adversarial entity. There is nothing more possible of providing for helping your fellow man than the state when the people are empowered and engaged in their government. I don't think churches alone can do it. If the church had a solution for the sick and impoverished then I guess I missed it. I don't think businesses or individuals can do it. Not so long as businesses have fiduciary responsibility to their stakeholders can a business do things with purely the good of the people in mind. Individuals lack the capital to do so and the ones who have been shaping laws to horde capital have been doing it to squirrel away money for the ecological hellscape future for themselves not to help the public.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
It is funny because libertarianism is almost completely divorced from any sense of humanity.
Considering that I'm a libertarian and likely one of the most charitable people you'd ever meet, you've got it wrong. Humanity is not having the government steal from one group and give to another. It's easy, lazy, and dishonest to be generous with someone else's money. Government programs are dehumanizing. They encourage dependency and complacency. They deprive people of their human potential.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Considering that I'm a libertarian and likely one of the most charitable people you'd ever meet, you've got it wrong. Humanity is not having the government steal from one group and give to another. It's easy, lazy, and dishonest to be generous with someone else's money. Government programs are dehumanizing. They encourage dependency and complacency. They deprive people of their human potential.
This is real flowery language that just allows you to abstract away the human meat grinder of unfettered capitalism so you can feel good about yourself.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I feel like the disconnect is that Nixon, the civil rights movement, etc has soured people on the idea that the government is "the people" but instead an adversarial entity. There is nothing more possible of providing for helping your fellow man than the state when the people are empowered and engaged in their government. I don't think churches alone can do it. If the church had a solution for the sick and impoverished then I guess I missed it. I don't think businesses or individuals can do it. Not so long as businesses have fiduciary responsibility to their stakeholders can a business do things with purely the good of the people in mind. Individuals lack the capital to do so and the ones who have been shaping laws to horde capital have been doing it to squirrel away money for the ecological hellscape future for themselves not to help the public.
We have many threads, including mega threads, discussing how terrible government actors and policies are. I don't recall one praising the results of a government action. Government has pumped trillions of dollars into the war on poverty and not much has changed. Perhaps your faith is misplaced.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
IMO, trying to narrow down what a libertarian is is about as easy as narrowing down what a republican or democrat are. All three come in many 'shapes and sizes'. Many people do not comfortably fit completely in any of the three.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.