UN official: Alabama's poverty & sewage crisis very uncommon in first world

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
IMO, trying to narrow down what a libertarian is is about as easy as narrowing down what a republican or democrat are. All three come in many 'shapes and sizes'. Many people do not comfortably fit completely in any of the three.
There was a poster ("doctorgonzo" or something like that) here at one time who was very much an anarchist libertarian. I don't believe he's been around in at least five years. I didn't agree with his views (I use the Constitution as my guide for the proper role of government and he probably viewed the Articles of Confederation as tyrannical), but he made some good arguments. I enjoyed his posts very much.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There was a poster ("doctorgonzo" or something like that) here at one time who was very much an anarchist libertarian. I don't believe he's been around in at least five years. I didn't agree with his views (I use the Constitution as my guide for the proper role of government and he probably viewed the Articles of Confederation as tyrannical), but he made some good arguments. I enjoyed his posts very much.
i always thought he was an anarcho-syndicalist

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Sorry about that. Let me try to get this thread back on track ....

Why don't the good people of Lowndes County improve themselves and make themselves more valuable in the market place? That way they can either pay for the correction of their sewer issues directly or increase their tax base so the city/county can improve the infrastructure.

Did that work?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Sorry about that. Let me try to get this thread back on track ....

Why don't the good people of Lowndes County improve themselves and make themselves more valuable in the market place? That way they can either pay for the correction of their sewer issues directly or increase their tax base so the city/county can improve the infrastructure.

Did that work?
I think they should have the county declared a superfund waste site and have the federal government fix everything.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I feel like the disconnect is that Nixon, the civil rights movement, etc has soured people on the idea that the government is "the people" but instead an adversarial entity. There is nothing more possible of providing for helping your fellow man than the state when the people are empowered and engaged in their government. I don't think churches alone can do it. If the church had a solution for the sick and impoverished then I guess I missed it. I don't think businesses or individuals can do it. Not so long as businesses have fiduciary responsibility to their stakeholders can a business do things with purely the good of the people in mind. Individuals lack the capital to do so and the ones who have been shaping laws to horde capital have been doing it to squirrel away money for the ecological hellscape future for themselves not to help the public.
Where do you think the government gets it funding from in the first place? From the people and businesses, of course.

I'm not suggesting the government doesn't help people, nor am I suggesting it is evil or bad, but I will submit that there's no way it's as efface went as someone giving directly to someone in need.

Would the needs be met at the same level the government provides them? I'll further submit there's no way to know either way.

Ultimately, the point is that forced giving isn't compassion, but as the US is the most giving nation on the planet, I'll humbly submit that those in need would still be helped if the middle man (with his additional costs) was removed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.