If you were the OC

TD7

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2017
I completely agree with you TIDE-HSV. In my opinion, we are going to have to show we can consistently throw the ball, they're going to put this game all on Jalen again, just like last year. Remember some of the comments made by Ben Boulware after the game was pretty astonishing how vanilla they played on defense to force Jalen to beat them.I think that's the gameplan they will use again. Here are some his comments. According to Tigers standout linebacker Ben Boulware, Clemson "knew if we shut down the running game, then it would be very difficult for them to win. Boulware said, "wanted to put it in Jalen Hurts' hands."It was probably the most simple game plan we've had all year" http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/01/clemson_linebacker_we_wanted_t.html

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I completely agree with you TIDE-HSV. In my opinion, we are going to have to show we can consistently throw the ball, they're going to put this game all on Jalen again, just like last year. Remember some of the comments made by Ben Boulware after the game was pretty astonishing how vanilla they played on defense to force Jalen to beat them.I think that's the gameplan they will use again. Here are some his comments. According to Tigers standout linebacker Ben Boulware, Clemson "knew if we shut down the running game, then it would be very difficult for them to win. Boulware said, "wanted to put it in Jalen Hurts' hands."It was probably the most simple game plan we've had all year" http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/01/clemson_linebacker_we_wanted_t.html
Why wouldn`t they do this? I `d plan that this would be their approach and apply the tactics to defeat it ( quick stuff to the outside, both runs and throws. Maybe some slants and drags . Don`t think you can make a living running into the teeth of that front 7, at least not unless/until you spread them some to create lanes. Hopefully you can cheat the safeties up by doing this to give us a chance to try to take the top off a time or two ).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Why wouldn`t they do this? I `d plan that this would be their approach and apply the tactics to defeat it ( quick stuff to the outside, both runs and throws. Maybe some slants and drags . Don`t think you can make a living running into the teeth of that front 7, at least not unless/until you spread them some to create lanes. Hopefully you can cheat the safeties up by doing this to give us a chance to try to take the top off a time or two ).
Why wouldn't we do something different???

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alabama knows exactly how Clemson will challenge you defensively - you have the film from January. What Clemson doesn't know is how Alabama will counter. We are all hopeful that Daboll and Saban are as good as their reputation on January 1st, because if Saban has this team as well prepared as he usually does with this much time, Clemson is going to lose.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Pistol

Run the ball a ton with Bo and Damien

Sprinkle in Play action pass.

Take shots down the field with Ridley, Smith, Jeudy, etc

Crossing routes over the middle like the Barn did to us.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
We all (at least most) seem to be assuming changes will be made. What concerns me is that most of us probably had the same thought going from the LSU to the MSU to the AU games. Did we see any significant changes? Sure, there's more prep time now, but still... one can hope.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We all (at least most) seem to be assuming changes will be made. What concerns me is that most of us probably had the same thought going from the LSU to the MSU to the UA games. Did we see any significant changes? Sure, there's more prep time now, but still... one can hope.
Agreed! And for the Bama Nation's mental health, I surely hope something changes. I believe we can handle losing to Clemson if we have a great game plan and they just beat us.

But the Bama Nation head will explode if we look like we did against Auburn or MSU and we lose to Clemson!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Agreed! And for the Bama Nation's mental health, I surely hope something changes. I believe we can handle losing to Clemson if we have a great game plan and they just beat us.

But the Bama Nation head will explode if we look like we did against Auburn or MSU and we lose to Clemson!
Losing is one thing - Alabama fans will get over that as soon as you start talking about next season. But if you change nothing and lose, almost everyone (including Alabama fans) will begin to lose confidence in Saban.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Losing is one thing - Alabama fans will get over that as soon as you start talking about next season. But if you change nothing and lose, almost everyone (including Alabama fans) will begin to lose confidence in Saban.[/QUOTE]

I do not think that that is an unreasonable statement. I think everyone on this board feels that there have to be schematic changes as well as better fundamental execution. Clemson has a thorough book on us, just as we do on them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting, but their fans are hoping for just that. They have confidence that no OL can hold their DTs out, if there are gaps. They said that the team which beat them, Syracuse, did it by bunching their OL together with no gaps. Take it FWIW, naturally. BTW, it's hard to read their boards, since they are so cocky that the main conversation seems to revolve around what their margin of victory will be...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
We all (at least most) seem to be assuming changes will be made. What concerns me is that most of us probably had the same thought going from the LSU to the MSU to the AU games. Did we see any significant changes? Sure, there's more prep time now, but still... one can hope.
Exactly. I have felt that no one could stop the offense off the edge which effectively nullifies the DEs as play wreckers. That would open up Jacobs and the TEs and eventually the WRs. When we haven't seen that at all even after tremendous success in the past many of us have lost confidence. I would love to be surprised but then hope is not a viable strategy in just about any activity in life.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Exactly. I have felt that no one could stop the offense off the edge which effectively nullifies the DEs as play wreckers. That would open up Jacobs and the TEs and eventually the WRs. When we haven't seen that at all even after tremendous success in the past many of us have lost confidence. I would love to be surprised but then hope is not a viable strategy in just about any activity in life.
I hope to see very little change, in the fact most fans will not see the actual changes. I hope we make changes but I hope we hide them very well. Sometimes it is what you do not SEE that kills you. I hope we make the kind of changes that are hard to spot, but make a big difference in our play. I hope we LOOK the smae more or less but execute and play at a higher level. I hope we LOOK the same to a defense yet look big time better in results.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Interesting, but their fans are hoping for just that. They have confidence that no OL can hold their DTs out, if there are gaps. They said that the team which beat them, Syracuse, did it by bunching their OL together with no gaps. Take it FWIW, naturally. BTW, it's hard to read their boards, since they are so cocky that the main conversation seems to revolve around what their margin of victory will be...
Just wondering how deep that front 7 is? They may or may not be the same from last year , will they tire out? If our conditioning is good could we win the game of possession by tiring them down? Assuming we could move the ball well.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I do not think the Bama team that played LSU, Miss.St. and Auburn can beat Clemson. I am hoping the team January 1st will not be that team but be more like the team in the first half of the season. I don't know if it was complacency that set in after the way they were blowing teams out in the first half, injuries or what, but Bama to me didn't look like the same team the latter half of the season. I have hope that with players healing up with the layoff the team will be able to refocus for two games and I think they will! Being Auburn was their last game before playing Clemson I believe will give us the edge we need to beat Clemson.

I think a lot of our offensive game plan will center on what Clemson does at first, be multiple and flexible to start. If Clemson gets the ball first and runs down the field, scores, then our offense will probably open it up, spreading the defense, and taking shots down field early and often as the game may be a shootout, which is my worst nightmare!! But if Clemson, when they get the ball struggles early with 3 and outs, or consecutive punts, I would stay conservative, run the ball, play field position, eat the clock, slow the game and hopefully save our defense for the second half! I just don't see Clemson running 85-100 offensive plays and Bama winning.

But what do I know lol!! We will probably win a high scoring shootout like 2 years ago lol!! Can't wait!! :)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Just wondering how deep that front 7 is? They may or may not be the same from last year , will they tire out? If our conditioning is good could we win the game of possession by tiring them down? Assuming we could move the ball well.
If those big DT's are running 20 yard sprints often and early they will tire out.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I do not think the Bama team that played LSU, Miss.St. and Auburn can beat Clemson. I am hoping the team January 1st will not be that team but be more like the team in the first half of the season. I don't know if it was complacency that set in after the way they were blowing teams out in the first half, injuries or what, but Bama to me didn't look like the same team the latter half of the season. I have hope that with players healing up with the layoff the team will be able to refocus for two games and I think they will! Being Auburn was their last game before playing Clemson I believe will give us the edge we need to beat Clemson.

I think a lot of our offensive game plan will center on what Clemson does at first, be multiple and flexible to start. If Clemson gets the ball first and runs down the field, scores, then our offense will probably open it up, spreading the defense, and taking shots down field early and often as the game may be a shootout, which is my worst nightmare!! But if Clemson, when they get the ball struggles early with 3 and outs, or consecutive punts, I would stay conservative, run the ball, play field position, eat the clock, slow the game and hopefully save our defense for the second half! I just don't see Clemson running 85-100 offensive plays and Bama winning.

But what do I know lol!! We will probably win a high scoring shootout like 2 years ago lol!! Can't wait!! :)
I would hazard a guess that the majority of the board would agree. I know I sure do. That`s a major reason, IMO, that most hope and expect some wrinkles, particularly on O. By different " wrinkles" I`m including such non-exotics as having the QB not be the primary ball carrier in the offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.