If you were the OC

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just wondering how deep that front 7 is? They may or may not be the same from last year , will they tire out? If our conditioning is good could we win the game of possession by tiring them down? Assuming we could move the ball well.
Well, they, like us, have lost just the one game. I don't know how much their depth has been tested. We certainly didn't test it last year and, if our pattern continues to be 3 & out, we won't this year...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Was it ever explained why Bo was clapping like Jalen does for the snap?

Both times the snap game early Bo was clapping IIRC.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Was it ever explained why Bo was clapping like Jalen does for the snap?

Both times the snap game early Bo was clapping IIRC.
He was trying to get someone’s attention on 1 of them. On the other I believe an AU player was clapping. I assume Clemson will do the same so hopefully we go with a different signal to the Center.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He was trying to get someone’s attention on 1 of them. On the other I believe an AU player was clapping. I assume Clemson will do the same so hopefully we go with a different signal to the Center.
It should not be so noisy that this is required.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Alabama should concede the game. Our offense has no chance to penetrate Clemson's defense.
I see people with concerns, rightfully so but I think most here feel that this team is very capable of doing what it needs to adjust and win....the only question is about the adjustments that will be made. It's just natural to be a little curious after the end of the season played out the way it did.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I see people with concerns, rightfully so but I think most here feel that this team is very capable of doing what it needs to adjust and win....the only question is about the adjustments that will be made. It's just natural to be a little curious after the end of the season played out the way it did.
I just get a funeral like sense here and on other boards. After what I saw against the barn, I may not even watch the game. I don't want to see us get embarrassed. Maybe 2018 will offer more hope.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Only 3 teams have scored more than 20 points against Clemson this season. They were:
Louisville which had 317 Yds. passing
Syracuse which had 278 Yds. passing
N.C. State which had 338 Yds. passing

So if I was the OC I'd come into the game thinking that we must have 200-250 Yds. passing to win so I'd be calling a lot of pass plays.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Only 3 teams have scored more than 20 points against Clemson this season. They were:

So if I was the OC I'd come into the game thinking that we must have 200-250 Yds. passing to win so I'd be calling a lot of pass plays.
Their front is impenetrable. Our only hope is to pass and we know how that went against Auburn.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've hit a lot of big pass plays against them. I feel like NCST had a ton of boom-bust in the pass game. Probably the same for Syracuse too. Hurts is going to have to hit big plays down field to win this game but he also needs to be efficient on short stuff for us to keep possession. In his two losses, Hurts flat out failed the offense on short, quick passing. With all that said, we better find a way to run the dang ball. I still think Scarbough is a mismatch guy for any defense in the nation and you have to go to guys like that when we get out of conference. There are a bunch of guys who are built and run like Harris around the nation but there are none quite like Bo. We need to get him going downhill off tackle so we can isolate him on smaller defender in space.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
We've hit a lot of big pass plays against them. I feel like NCST had a ton of boom-bust in the pass game. Probably the same for Syracuse too. Hurts is going to have to hit big plays down field to win this game but he also needs to be efficient on short stuff for us to keep possession. In his two losses, Hurts flat out failed the offense on short, quick passing. With all that said, we better find a way to run the dang ball. I still think Scarbough is a mismatch guy for any defense in the nation and you have to go to guys like that when we get out of conference. There are a bunch of guys who are built and run like Harris around the nation but there are none quite like Bo. We need to get him going downhill off tackle so we can isolate him on smaller defender in space.
Brent Venebles is a high risk, high reward defensive coordinator. A lot like John Chavis. He likes to be aggressive and blitz. I suspect a lot of blitzing because the Alabama offensive line hasn't been great this year and Jalen wilted under pressure late in the year. Bo hasn't seemed like himself all year. He looked great on that opening possession of the second half in Auburn but nothing after that. Maybe the time off will help some of the backs get healthy, too. Jacobs needs to be used in the screen game and Irv Smith needs some looks.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Honestly, that's chilling to read.

Agreed we have to get the running game going, but our passing game has got to rise to new heights in this game. If PA's guess that we need 200-250 yards passing in this game is correct, let just hope we've had a come to Jesus meeting since the Auburn game!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Alabama should concede the game. Our offense has no chance to penetrate Clemson's defense.
NC State rushed for 153 yards that set up passing for over 300. Syracuse rushed for 162.

Our running game is substantially better than either team. So don’t even try this line of reasoning. Troll.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
NC State rushed for 153 yards that set up passing for over 300. Syracuse rushed for 162.

Our running game is substantially better than either team. So don’t even try this line of reasoning. Troll.
I hold a degree from UA so hardly a troll. I'm just going along with what a lot of other people are saying. Most people think that Alabama won't be able to do much against their defense. I hope to be wrong though. The team has more than enough talent to redeem themselves.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Clemson has given up some yardage at times. Their DL helps create stops that limit scoring on them. Most teams with an elite DL will squat on routes so when the offense gets them blocked or the DL doesn't finish then the offense burns them. Also the prior two matchups, they just flat out lost guys due to confusion or biting on an initial action in the route combo.

The problem both times against Clemson was consistency. We didn't do a great job of staying on the field in either game. Coker found the open guy a few more times than Hurts and that was quite literally the difference. Also, Clemson seemed dead-set on special teams not beating them last time. Maybe they ease up on that? We've been due to make a play in that unit for a hot minute.

We need big passes and more moving the chains to stay on the field. I'd like to return the favor and have their great defense worn out by the fourth quarter this year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I hold a degree from UA so hardly a troll. I'm just going along with what a lot of other people are saying. Most people think that Alabama won't be able to do much against their defense. I hope to be wrong though. The team has more than enough talent to redeem themselves.
That’s one argument and fine. You’ve said both that we suck and twice that we should concede, which is ridiculous and the way I expect Barn trolls to argue.

Your post above is far better quality. I’ll grant we have some issues but the idea Clemson’s D line is the 85 Bears (to use a good reference point for impenetrable) is insane.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.